What to do with bike and maintenance ? - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th September 2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Norway
Norway
What to do with bike and maintenance ?

Sending my 2007 the mechanic, will be fited with a new clutchbasket and clutchplates and a reartyre. It also has 36000km and was told that a big service was to be had. All in all pretty expensive here in Scandinavia. Also had some gearing issues "sometimes", from 2nd to 3rd gear and sometimes 3rd to 4th, gear not always snao into gear, like gearing into "nothing". Letting the gearlever down still with clutchhandle in, and another try gearing up and suddenly it clicks into possition. Question: is it getting too old to replace and spend money on or worth it and hope nothing else soon gonna fall apart.. Seems like a bike that demands alot of maintenance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th September 2018, 05:31 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
While he has the clutch basket out, I'd recommend installing a Factory Pro shift star. It should help with the shifting. It's not cheap, $200 + $48 to ship to you, but it's a lot less money than it would cost to split the engine cases and replace transmission parts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th September 2018, 04:38 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
While he has the clutch basket out, I'd recommend installing a Factory Pro shift star. It should help with the shifting. It's not cheap, $200 + $48 to ship to you, but it's a lot less money than it would cost to split the engine cases and replace transmission parts.

Shift stars can go in without pulling the clutch or clutch cover.

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th September 2018, 02:20 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Oops, I must have been remembering a different bike.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 8th September 2018, 02:19 AM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Elk Grove, CA
Your 07 has many, many more miles left to enjoy. Ride on, my friend! I too replaced my clutch @ 19,000 mi. then replaced the magneto @ 38,000 and today @ over 45,000 mi. my 07 is still a joy to ride every day!

RealShelby / Werks clutch basket mod works great!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10th September 2018, 04:12 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07blacksv1ks View Post
Your 07 has many, many more miles left to enjoy. Ride on, my friend! I too replaced my clutch @ 19,000 mi. then replaced the magneto @ 38,000 and today @ over 45,000 mi. my 07 is still a joy to ride every day!

I am at 134,000 miles. I still ride it all the time and love it.

-ms

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th May 2019, 02:16 PM
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
I am at 134,000 miles. I still ride it all the time and love it.

-ms
At how many miles interval, did you do the regular checks? The manual stops at 24K. Did you use the same mile/km span like in the manual?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th May 2019, 04:50 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalLegend View Post
At how many miles interval, did you do the regular checks? The manual stops at 24K. Did you use the same mile/km span like in the manual?

Correct. Valves and such every 15k miles.

Almost 143,000 miles as of today.

-ms

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th May 2019, 04:56 AM
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Correct. Valves and such every 15k miles.

Almost 143,000 miles as of today.

-ms
Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in