post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 29th December 2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

United Kingdom
Essex UK
Throttle kills it...

Hi all
Sorry first post is a question....
My k3 1000 (new to me) has an issue that I have caused somehow

All was ok before I decided to pull the airbox to check on the filter condition and check the green plug to see if it had been sorted..
The plug was ok and not touched since new by the looks of it, plugged it back together and left it alone.
Put everything back together and now the bike dies abruptly under throttle. Itvstarts, ticks over and pulls away fine but give it some throttle and it dies.
I have gripple checked all pipes and plugs, fuel line not linked, breathers all ok TB's both secure top and bottom and the airbox is tight and seated on the TB's perfectly.

I have redone all this several times now with no luck, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th December 2018, 10:39 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Welcome to the site!

Does it die when you rev it in neutral or does it die only when you put it in gear? If it does the latter, sometimes the sidestand switch gets dodgy so unplug it, put some dielectric grease in it, and reconnect it.

Other than than that, the only thing I can think of that may cause your symptoms is the throttle position sensor (TPS) needing to be set correctly.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2018, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

United Kingdom
Essex UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
Welcome to the site!

Does it die when you rev it in neutral or does it die only when you put it in gear? If it does the latter, sometimes the sidestand switch gets dodgy so unplug it, put some dielectric grease in it, and reconnect it.

Other than than that, the only thing I can think of that may cause your symptoms is the throttle position sensor (TPS) needing to be set correctly.

Good luck!
Hi and thanks.
It ticks over and revs 100% fine, i can rev it hard or slow in neutral and it is ok. I put it in gear and set off again is 100% ok its only once i give it a decent amount of throttle is struggles, coughs, pulls back..
I took it out again last night to try and ride through it... It wont clear. The FI light does not come on so i guess i have no code to bother looking for, it feels like fuel or air restriction... More likely fuel but i have checked god knows how many times everything is straight, nothing twisted or kinked.. It was ok before i lifted the bloody airbox lol

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2018, 07:36 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ South Africa
South Africa
Go back and recheck everything that you worked on, for correct installation. Sounds like either a throttle boot not seated correctly, a loose connector, a vacuum hose, or maybe the airbox fowling the throttle body linkages. Hope that it's a quick fix. Good luck.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

United Kingdom
Essex UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
Go back and recheck everything that you worked on, for correct installation. Sounds like either a throttle boot not seated correctly, a loose connector, a vacuum hose, or maybe the airbox fowling the throttle body linkages. Hope that it's a quick fix. Good luck.
Cheers and i agree but i have had the whole lot in bits god knows how many times now, i have starred at it for god knows how long checked all connectors against the manual and it is all back as it should be.
I will check the TPS later via the dealer mode plug.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2018, 08:22 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
To get at the airbox you must lift the fuel tank. Doing this might have dislodged some grunge that is now blocking the fuel pump inlet screen. Seeing as you are having a tough time figuring out what happened....this might be an example. If you do the 'fuel volume test' it will show if the flow has been compromised though it won't point out a pressure problem should that be happening.

Considering the fuel system being the way it is, pulling the pump to clean the inlet screen and cup isn't a waste of time and many people find LOTS of crap down in there that is most certainly worth cleaning out.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

United Kingdom
Essex UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
To get at the airbox you must lift the fuel tank. Doing this might have dislodged some grunge that is now blocking the fuel pump inlet screen. Seeing as you are having a tough time figuring out what happened....this might be an example. If you do the 'fuel volume test' it will show if the flow has been compromised though it won't point out a pressure problem should that be happening.

Considering the fuel system being the way it is, pulling the pump to clean the inlet screen and cup isn't a waste of time and many people find LOTS of crap down in there that is most certainly worth cleaning out.
I will do the volume test later today and post back the results
Cheers.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

United Kingdom
Essex UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike01 View Post
I will do the volume test later today and post back the results
Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post

Hi
So 3 ign primes got me just under 300ml of fuel, ok I think.

Then I tried to check/set the TPS via the dealer plug... I could get the line to move with the ignition on but engine not running, with the engine running it will not move! I got the revs round to maybe 7k but no movement. Engine temp was around 88. Oh and the line is at the bottom not in the middle of the C and zero digits

Pretty sure I'm doing it right lol
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

United Kingdom
Essex UK
Problem solved...
It's the TPS, best I could get the line moving was around 3k revs, with the TPS at its furthest anti clock wise...

Strange as it was super tight so no chance I knocked it and it is now set far away from where it was

The bike rides great but I will order a new one

Unless I'm missing something, something else could cause this?
Cheers guys.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2019, 08:09 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Problem solved...
It's the TPS, best I could get the line moving was around 3k revs, with the TPS at its furthest anti clock wise...

Strange as it was super tight so no chance I knocked it and it is now set far away from where it was

The bike rides great but I will order a new one

Unless I'm missing something, something else could cause this?
Cheers guys.

I think the TPS is adjusted with the engine off right?
TPS adjustment.jpg

Did you check the TPS connector with a multimeter?
TPS.jpg

and
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

United Kingdom
Essex UK
Quote:
I think the TPS is adjusted with the engine off right?
Attachment 115041

Did you check the TPS connector with a multimeter?
Attachment 115043
Hi
I followed the instructions on here posted by Chewy

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...ification.html

I could try the method you posted, nothing to lose.
I have not tested the sensor, I get no fault code though.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2019, 09:20 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Hi
I followed the instructions on here posted by Chewy

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...ification.html

I could try the method you posted, nothing to lose.
I have not tested the sensor, I get no fault code though.

One would think it would throw a code if the TPS is bad. Hopefully, setting it again using the service manual will be successful.

and
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2019, 02:46 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I am a bit late on this one.....but yeah, if that TPS line aint moving, you gots problems.....

You can use a OHM meter to check the basic setting in idle position witht the connector off the TPS and it should be 1.21ohm....... Or running 1.21vdc.... thats between the middle connector and the top one....

As an aside, while you have the tank up, at the rear of the back cylinder, you will find a green connector
that is to your sidestand swtich, it taps in to the gear neutral position sensor line. Unplug it, and make a bridge connector for the bike side of the connector.... Then go for a run, if all is good, its your sidestand switch..... They can turn to shit for some reason, and vibes through the bike will make it cough and fart and die..... I did this fix, and i just remember to keep the clutch in until i know it is definetly in neutral....

One owner..... 295,000kms and counting... 5k to go....

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

United Kingdom
Essex UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
I am a bit late on this one.....but yeah, if that TPS line aint moving, you gots problems.....

You can use a OHM meter to check the basic setting in idle position witht the connector off the TPS and it should be 1.21ohm....... Or running 1.21vdc.... thats between the middle connector and the top one....

As an aside, while you have the tank up, at the rear of the back cylinder, you will find a green connector
that is to your sidestand swtich, it taps in to the gear neutral position sensor line. Unplug it, and make a bridge connector for the bike side of the connector.... Then go for a run, if all is good, its your sidestand switch..... They can turn to shit for some reason, and vibes through the bike will make it cough and fart and die..... I did this fix, and i just remember to keep the clutch in until i know it is definetly in neutral....
Hi.
Like i say it will (the line) only move to the center with the TPS all the way anti clock on tick over, bit weird.. I will test the connector with a meter later today. Fairly sure it will read that its ok because there is no fault code. Anyway i will test it.

I will also bridge the side stand switch
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

United Kingdom
Essex UK
Quote:
One would think it would throw a code if the TPS is bad. Hopefully, setting it again using the service manual will be successful.
Hi.
This made no difference, the result was the same. Thanks though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in