Another Magnet Issue - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By miata76

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Another Magnet Issue

I’m having no electrical issues. Starter turns strong, engine always starts. All lights are LED, but are bright & strong.

I was going to put JB Weld between the magnets as a preventative measure. When I opened the cover it appears that someone before me glued the magnets in the wrong place (clustered together) leaving a no space outside of one giant gap. It’s just like what others have described: magnets shifting to one side, but with a giant difference — these are still glued in place. It’s seems these magnets are a bit fragile so I’m loathe to PRY them from their perches.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E39CC4EB-162C-47C3-9E50-6B64B54EA75A_1554397011548.jpg (151.1 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 05:11 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
You can heat the outside of the flywheel below the magnet you want to remove to loosen it up. I used a mini butane torch to remove my one magnet that slipped out of position. Then I just filed/sanded off the residual glue and proceeded to JB Weld the crap out of everything afterwards. But I never had a charging issue and still don't. Is your battery showing a falling voltage while your bike is running/revving?

Edit: After looking closer at your pic, it looks like one magnet has let loose and then has pushed all the other magnets to the point where they are touching thereby causing an inefficient magnetic field. One of my magnets slipped as well but I caught it before other magnets were forced out of position. Here's a a pic of what everything looked like before I removed and repaired my magnets. In summary, you are going to have to remove most (if not all) of your magnets and reposition them. Bummer dude.

But on a positive note, at least none of your magnets disintegrated and spread magnetic shards throughout your oil passages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 10:36 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
It would have to be causing some vibration too, considering that it would be slightly out of balance......

Probably worth removing all the magnets, position them perfectly and glue and fill them then....

Preventative is better than pissed off on the side of the road....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 281,000kms and counting...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 5th April 2019, 10:22 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata76 View Post
When I opened the cover it appears that someone before me glued the magnets in the wrong place ........
What makes you think that someone glued the magnets in the wrong place? It seems more likely that the magnets weren't glued properly (at the factory) and moved.

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 5th April 2019, 11:23 AM
Vendor

♂ United States
Houston, Texas
I too doubt the magnets were "reglued". They can be stuck onto the rotor quite tightly due to magnetic force and oil suction. I have had customers pry on them to the breaking point and they didn't move.

Care and patience. Maybe a bit of heat. Try to carefully wiggle them apart with a dull thin tool. Once they move, it becomes easier. FWIW, I don't think you have to remove them. Get it all cleaned up and spaced properly, then do the JB Weld fix to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fix Idle Hammer noise
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 6th April 2019, 02:02 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Enterprise, Al, USA
I had one shift. I got the rest loose by heating outside of flywheel, and using a stainless steel machinist ruler to slide behind them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 6th April 2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

I believed they were glued in place because the epoxy was tenaciously holding all of the magnets in their new, but wrong, location.

I’ve since been able to get the epoxy to release with considerable heat applied. After aggressively sanding off the old epoxy (and cleaning w/solvents), I used 1/4” tile spacers and JB Weld (original) to properly space and glue the magnets in their proper location (very thin JB Weld and verified clearance between magnets and stator).

The JB Weld did not work (for me) in the spaces between (to maintain the space in case the epoxy under the magnets fail). It was tacky and did not want to release from my gloves - I’m sure there’s a technique I’m lacking. I’ve since tracked down some higher temp epoxy PUTTY that I’m hoping will be easier to work into the spaces.

I hope that addresses the questions. As always, thank you to everyone for their input.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 7th April 2019, 12:43 PM
Vendor

♂ United States
Houston, Texas
JB Weld is rated for 400 F continuous and 500 F intermittent. It is rated for oil immersion. Not many epoxy products can match that.

I would make sure your "putty" is close to that. Or you may be creating a bigger problem! Filling the gap between the magnets takes patience. Taping the area off helps. Spooning it in, or injecting it with a syringe is the way to go.

Fix Idle Hammer noise
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 7th April 2019, 03:03 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata76 View Post
I believed they were glued in place because the epoxy was tenaciously holding all of the magnets in their new, but wrong, location....
The magnets will move around during subsequent heat cycles with the original glue due to age. The original glue apparently changes properties over time and with heat but then re-solidifies (not to original strength of course) after cool down.

Here are a couple of posts about this:

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/185...5-post148.html

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/185...6-post160.html

And schmidt314's thread titled: "What is up with everyones flywheel magnets?" is an excellent read. Although long, it's certainly worth a read to fully appreciate all of his hard work and painstaking observation to give insight into the magnet failure issue.

Plus, that thread has fantastic info on stator alternatives and replacement adhesives for the magnets.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 9th April 2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Thanks for the info!

In case anyone is interested I used “BlueMagic QuickSteel” epoxy putty “in between” to keep the magnets separated should the JB Weld used as an adhesive (under the magnets) fails.

I stressed it on a 20 minute ride keeping the RPMs around 7,000 and all was well. I’ll likely check it and install the new gasket in a hundred miles or so.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
oldbaldsob likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Does the blurb on that QuickSteel stuff say that is oil rated ?

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 281,000kms and counting...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in