anyones sv1000 really sore on petrol - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th May 2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

anyones sv1000 really sore on petrol

hi. my 2003 sv1000 seems to be unusually sore on petrol im talking like maybe from a full tank i got about 60miles before the light came on which is really bad. im wondering if there is anything im missing as there is no obvious leaks etc? any help greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th May 2019, 01:03 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Is this something new or has it always been like this? Are the tires at proper pressure? Have you changed the exhaust or made any other modifications?

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th May 2019, 01:47 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Holy Crap.....that is bad.....

I get (in miles) 125.......

I would be looking at (easiest first) your Throttle Position Sensor adjustment....
If you haven't done this, there are som tutorials on that in Tweaking and Tuning....
Also, check the Secondary Throttle Position Sensor as well....

While you have the tank up, check your air filter, if its filthy, get a new one, and maybe invest in a K&N or BMC or similar washable unit....

If you are feeling keen, take the tank off, flip it upside down and remove the fuel pump, and then disassemble it, and clean the pickup mesh to make sure it is running clear. The main filter can also be replaced (at a cost)...but the pickup is usually all thats needed.
Get a good quality fuel system cleaner/condtioner and use that over several tanks to clean any minor gunk from the injectors.

Fill her up and take it for a run once you have settled those things, and see how it goes.....

.....also, with that much fuel being burnt, there is a possibility that you engine oil could be contaminated with unburnt fuel via piston blow-by. So, the instant you have that fuel usage problem sorted, change the oil and filter.....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 283,000kms and counting...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th May 2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

i only bought it and ive noticed it uses alot of fuel. there us 2 fuel brand end cans on it. my mate says he can smell rich fuel behind me on ride outs and the bike backfires alot in downward gear change?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th May 2019, 02:15 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
that's way worse than you get. I'm fairly happy with the throttle and get 100mi or so before the light comes on.

What gearing? What kind of riding?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th May 2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

fairly hard riding to be honest. 100mph + at times. think il change the air filter first and spark plugs then see how that goes.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th May 2019, 10:51 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Really, if you are gonna lift the lid to do that, setting the TPS is a 5 minute job while you are there...
Saves having to get back in there later.....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 17th May 2019, 08:38 AM
Moped rider

♂ South Africa
Randburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwelder1 View Post
fairly hard riding to be honest. 100mph + at times. think il change the air filter first and spark plugs then see how that goes.
OK tootling around on country roads at 80/100kph (50/60mph) you should get +-5.6ltr/100km, You can do the conversion. Flogging the ass of it though twisties in 4th chasing GSXR/Fireblades and going full bore on the straights (250kph in 5th) you will get roughly 10.5/11 ltr/100 which equates to +-100/110km or 60/65miles before the light comes on from a really full tank.
OK No chance on the straights but they take one hell of a time to catch up after the twisties. (Or so a friends tells me) Hope that helps.

Digging holes in the ground
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
...just wondering, my 2003 model had an issue with a post-production coating on the inside of the tank completely clogging the fuel filter and pickup, and consequently, the injectors also blocked pretty badly, they squirted rather than sprayed....

Once the fuel filter was taken care of, and the injectors were professionally cleaned with an ultra sonic cleaner, things improved a bit, but, as was found to be true, the combustion chambers were full of carbon, and a good hard run on a dyno, using Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner, and away she went......
It was that bad that before the cleaner was used i was getting 97hp.... and once it came clear, and it was like an explosion of the most amazing shit came out the cans, it shot up to 121hp.....

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
My warning light was coming on at around 160 klm, I was chaning my oil and so decided to do a quick flush and so poured in a can of Liquimoly engine flush, yesterday the warning light came on at 207 klm. The Moly cost me $19 money definitely well spent as far as I am concerned.

I'm not saying it is going to fix your problem but it certainly did wonders for me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
HA HA...thats awesome.....

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in