Converted to an SV - SV1000 Portal
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ New Zealand
Garage
Converted to an SV

I got a friend who's been riding for 20+ plus years and never owned a v twin.. He came across an 05 with low ks, and bought it to my surprise. It's interesting to note all the small differences that i never knew, tool kit below the battery and some of the electrics are under the passenger seat. So far he's really enjoying it, liking the power.. Mine is the 03.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fotor_155876633993492_1560240188498.jpg (514.5 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 09:15 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United Kingdom
Tamworth UK.
I was converted a couple of years ago. Saw an sv650 and loved the look of the bike. I had a gsx600 at the time and wanted a bigger bike but with less cylinders and on eBay my sv1000 in the colours I wanted came up. So I bought it and all I can say is wow. Don't want another bike as it's just perfect.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12th June 2019, 12:15 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
03 all the way baby !!!!!

Nothing like the original.... you watch, in about maybe 50 years, they will be worth money.....$500 probably, but money all the same.....

Mine is an 03 too.... i love the old bi7ch......

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 294,000kms and counting...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12th June 2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ New Zealand
Garage
I really like how easy they are to work on.. Everything accessible, no endless amount of bolts to undo a full fairing. My son got a ninja 300, looks like too much work for engine access. SVs can be modded nicely too, if you are so inclined...
Missing Link likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 13th June 2019, 09:38 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United Kingdom
Tamworth UK.
I also find it a much easier bike to work on compared to my gsx600. The fairing is easier to dismantle, plugs are easier to change as is the air filter. I have just bought blue stainless steel brake and clutch pipes to make it look prettier. I don't mind working on it. At the moment I got more time to mess with it as this British weather is just crap it's looking so clean, need to get out and do some joyfull miles in better weather.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 13th June 2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ New Zealand
Garage
My friend says he's realising he's having to roll off the throttle at lower speeds, he's used to smaller reviver bikes, the Sv just builds speed so quick he's having to adjust his style. Speed is deceptive, my sons ninja 300 sounds like it's revving it's head off at highway speeds and still has plenty of revs to go.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th June 2019, 02:11 AM
L-Plate Rider

I was looking for a cheap daily work commuter 3 years ago and bought a 2005 black SV1000N with 110,000 km. I wasn't aware of this bike and at the time and also didn't realised that it shared a lot with the TL1000R, even though i knew about the TL1000R for many years and had always wanted one. Anyway, i was a little hesitant to buy it at first because of the high kms, but because it had full year registration, near new metzeler tyres, chrome Devil mufflers, tre, k&n air filter, side tank gripper/protectors, heated grips, rear tyre hugger, Hel brake lines, tail tidy, led indicators, 2 inch raisers with fat drag bars with nice black levers to match and only a $2000 (Australian) asking price, it seemed to be a huge bargain. I was convinced that the bike must be faulty for the guy to be asking such a low price. So i took it for a long test ride to see if any problems would show up. Man, right of the bat I was so impressed by the pulling power and the sweet v-twin music. I couldn't believe how effortlessly it would do wheelies. I loved how you didn't need to rev its tits off to get it moving so quickly. Off the mark acceleration was awesome. To my amazement, everything on the bike worked perfectly. I was totally hooked by the newly found SV1000N and gave him the money quicker than he could possibly change his mind lol. 3 years on and with around 30,000 kms added to the clock, the bike is still going strong. All ive done thus far is oil and tyre changes. Actually it goes even better now that I've gone 16/43 on the sprockets. Over the last few months, I've been wanting to update to a newer/fresher bike. I've ridden so many different 1000 cc and above bikes, but none of them has given me the thrill/enjoyment like the SV1000N concidering the bang for buck i get from my SV1000N. i think I'll be looking for a long time before a find a nicer bike without paying too much. Until then, I'm gonna ride it till it dies. "When you're on a good thing, stick to it".
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th June 2019, 02:48 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
You would never have been happy with the TL-R....yeah, it made more power, but they were a bitch to work on because you had to get it undressed all the time, and, they were so damn heavy for the type of bike they were.....see how they didn't succeed in WSBK....

197kg dry versus 189 on the SV with standard exhausts.....i dropped to the Yoshi 2 into 1 and lost about 8kg right there.....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th June 2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ New Zealand
Garage
If you had the know how you can lighten the Tlr up plenty, performance bikes modded a tlr and it was pretty awesome, I do like the look of the beam frame over the Sv trellis but bang for buck the sv wins for me. I would like to ride a new dl 1000 for comparison to see how refined the bike is. Shame the Sv ceased its evolution from the manufacturer but its a bike easy for owners to continue to refine.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th June 2019, 02:49 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
The latest DL is nice, very smooth, but, character-less.....

Zero top end of course, but the low-mid range torque is like butter..

The SV was never gonna go anywhere because 1, its sales were way too low to
re-commit to making it, and 2, it was never gonna make Euro regs without a huge investment...
Needed to jump 100cc and get some serious fueling work to get through....and by now, the Euro
regs have gotten worse.....

Sad, but its the way it is...

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th June 2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ New Zealand
Garage
What speed does the Dl start to run out of steam?, it would pull nicely up to 160-180 klmhr? Yeah i doubt they will ever manufacture a new v twin again, it's all going parallel twins, triples, easier packaging.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th June 2019, 01:59 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
You will get some pretty decent speeds out of the DL...they dont mind go to jail cruise speeds....
I had one for a long weekend....took the director of domestic affairs for a run on the Saturday and
hit the twisties and a lot of rough bitumen and i dont think we dropped below 130 for more than a few minutes
here and there..... comfy and had plenty in reserve throttle wise....not as urgent as the SV though....and power
tapers off after 7500...remebering it is already down 20-25hp already....

The DL and the SV are two very different animals.....you will find joy in any bike, as long as you ride without expectations...
Let the bike tell you were it is happiest, and then use that to its fullest....i have had huge grins on my face riding some of the
most underwhelming bikes you can sit on.....just find where you can use it to its fullest....

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 21st June 2019, 07:31 AM
Moped rider

♂ South Africa
Randburg
12th Aniversary

Well in November 2007 I was working my heart out when the power went off. I spiraled through the roof and my son said calm down and go out and buy a bike. I went to the local Yamaha dealership and sat on a unit outside the door and I couldn't see more than 3m in front of me. The salesman said they had nothing that would suit me so I drove off the the Suzuki outlet, saw this beautiful SV1000, sat on it and it fit me. Took it for a spin and it was wonderful. I took it home that afternoon in tee shirt, shorts and tackies and have been in love ever since.
My only changes were a pair of Yoshi's (Stereo don't you know) and 12 years on, it is still envy of those who ride with me.
twag4 likes this.

Digging holes in the ground
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 21st June 2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ New Zealand
Garage
Nice, I still have mine since 2003, done commuting, touring, track days and it's still going strong, I think it's a unique bike compared to other bikes on the road. Im still hapoy with it..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ New Zealand
Garage
03 and 07 winter ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WinterRide_1561197105430.jpg (274.3 KB, 12 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in