• 1 Post By tomf
  • 1 Post By Missing Link

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th June 2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Brookeville, MD
SV takes on Lamborghini and Porsche

I was coming home from an overnight mountain ride to Marlinton, WV this past Saturday on my '03 SV1000S. I'd stopped at the Seneca Rock museum for photos and a break. Five Lambos and a Porsche parked directly in front of the museum and drew lots of interest. A few minutes later I rode to the nearby restaurant at the corner of 28 and 33 to wait for my brother and riding buddy to saddle up. By sheer coincidence as we rolled out the Lambos were queuing up to take 28 North which is a choice road with a variety of fast turns and short straights. I fell in behind and decided to pick off cars and gloriously move up to the front. The Porsche at the tail went first before the show really got going. I had no idea how serious these guys were but was about to find out. The speed in most short straights was 120+ with an observed high of 137. I was warmed up from riding 350+ miles in the moutains over the last day but even so would typically drop 10 yards or so in the corners. I took back some space on the brakes here and there and was competitive to 110 - 120 but overall was fighting a losing battle. My SV's high speed weave at 120+ didn't help matters. After 7 or 8 miles I was 100 yards down and decided to wave the Porsche by and call it a day. Overall, it was great fun. For the rematch I need another 20HP and a better chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV at Seneca Rock.jpg (237.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Fast cars.jpg (269.8 KB, 26 views)
falconbobb likes this.

Last edited by tomf; 20th June 2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Add content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th June 2019, 09:42 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Great stuff! Would be a great addition to this thread:

Cars giving the SV a hard time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th June 2019, 11:57 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Ha ha... awesome....

High speed weave ? Rear shock issue possibly..... rebound not putting up with the conditions....
Only time i have ever got weave, apart from shite steering head bearings is from the rear shock...

Worn linkage bearings may also do that...

You will find them cars again, you will make them pay....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 285,000kms and counting...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 20th June 2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Brookeville, MD
PS Turns out the cars were a McLaren, a Ferrari, two Lambos and the Porsche.

To Missing Link - thanks for the tip on the weave. I've been fighting that for the last 9 years and will definitely experiment with the rear rebound. Part of the problem is my superbike bar kit that changes the weight distribution. I try to get down over the front wheel at speed but with mixed results. A recent change to front preload that closely matches what I have on a Triumph TT600 and a Ducati 900 Sport is also an improvement.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st June 2019, 12:59 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Just looked at the pic of your bike....

You have bars like the naked SV it seems ?

They can cause a weave too, as your body is acting like a sail because you are sitting up higher.
Possibly more pronounced on the S model than the N model, as the air flow over the front fairing then hits you in the chest and the buffeting can cause alternating inputs through the bars, and the faster you go, the more that is accentuated.
Also, the weight bias front/rear on the bike has shifted to the rear a bit more....

Yes, the rebound may help, but it might not fix it completely....
Try one or two clicks in on the rebound 1/4 or 1/2 turn and go for a burn.....see what the effect is....
Also, a tiny bit more rear spring preload might do the trick....
Only change one thing at a time though..... Do the rebound first.....it takes 5 seconds...
Then, go back to standard and try the extra preload, probably only one segment (you will see what i mean....) and see what helps most.....might be a combo.....

The original SV shock is, (in my opinion) a soggy mess, especially once they get older, and age, regardless of mileage, can weary them as well, as the fluid gets a tad sludgey...worth getting an service done on it.....or replace it with a better unit....
Longhair likes this.

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 285,000kms and counting...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st June 2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Brookeville, MD
I do have a Renthal based bar kit on there. Nice kit with CNC triple tree. Rerouted the throttle cable under the tank and out the hole on the front right side of the frame. Quite comfortable now for my 61 year old bones. It's easy to crouch behind the windscreen at speed but awkward trying to get low in corners. Handling largely unaffected other than extreme maneuvers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Brookeville, MD
Thank you Hardcore Biker for the tip on shock rebound (to combat highspeed weave). I did a static comparison of the SV with my Ducati 900 Sport and my Triumph TT600. The spring rate at the rear seemed comparable but there was a bit of extra rebound. I dialed in more rebound at the rear and on the road with fresh senses realized the front needed some too. My favorite local straight allows for about 120 and weave was greatly reduced there. I dialed in a slight bit more rebound and called it good. The SV feels about 50 pounds lighter now in the corners and is at least in the ballpark with the Duc and Triumph.

Note the '03 SV1000S has fully adjustable front and rear suspension unlike some of the latter years. Also, I have a superbike bar kit so my settings may not be right for bikes with the stock clip-ons. Also, I push the bike and am willing to give up some comfort for handling. Overall, it's sufficiently compliant to be an everyday driver. After 9 years of experimentation, here are my current and favorite settings:

Front Forks
Compression 1.75 from full in
Reboound .5 from full in
Preload 5.5 lines showing
Notes: Almost Ducati like.

Rear Shock
Compression 1.75 out
Rebound .25 out
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2019, 02:56 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
The early and late SV1000s have the same external adjustments, the downside to the late ones is that you can't easily modify the fork valving (while you can on early).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th July 2019, 02:57 AM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
Miracles can be accomplished with your K3 forks if you're willing to part with a modest amount of cash. The rear shock isn't worth the bother, and should be replaced with a better unit.

Properly set up, your suspension shouldn't misbehave. It can be made to perform like riding on a rail if you get sticky tires, and the ride attitude, springing, valving, and damping corrected. Regular suspension service by someone who knows what they're doing helps a lot too.

Suspension is where Suzuki cut the most corners on SV's, and "going by the book" is a recipe for disappointment at the least, and can be disastrous at the worst.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in