2006 sv 1000s wont start flashing FI - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Like it says. Been about a year and went to start up the bike. Nothing. Tried charging old battery and that didnt work. New battery installed turns on, fuel injection whine normal but wont turn all the way over. Put in new spark plugs. Same thing.
Tried to look for the 6 pin connector but dont see any. FI on screen and FI light flashing. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, there is a bunch of lighting stuff the previous owner put in that i disconnected awhile ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190622_203930_1561258208642.jpg (369.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20190622_203942_1561258245557.jpg (481.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190622_204013_1561258290739.jpg (405.4 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2019, 03:01 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Knowing what the code tells you will be helpful. You'll need to put the display in "dealer mode" using steps #7-10 in this post: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/134272-post3.html

This thread has some more pics of the plug you'll need to access: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t....html#post8633

The actual code list can be found in this post: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/8644-post12.html

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2019, 04:37 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Just had a thought. Does your bike do any of this stuff (granted it's an SV650 but the same process applies to the SV1000):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Pics were a huge help, thank you

it ended up being the power commander. all good now
oldbaldsob likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2019, 10:26 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tryin View Post
Pics were a huge help, thank you

it ended up being the power commander. all good now
Yeah, after a while the little mouse in the box starts hibernating.....

It worth changing the oil if its been sitting that long as well.....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 285,000kms and counting...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 24th June 2019, 01:58 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
For future diagnosis: it's helpful to make it clear what you mean by "turn over".

In order for the spark plugs you put in to have any chance of doing anything, that means that the engine was cranking aka turning over, but not starting.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 06:36 AM
Moped rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
Just had a thought. Does your bike do any of this stuff (granted it's an SV650 but the same process applies to the SV1000): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuwoxCwRTz0
Oldas, so what did the c you were pointing out refer to, was it cold???
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 06:50 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze View Post

That wasn't my SV650, just a random one on YouTube I found. It was flashing the FI light because the kill switch had been engaged. And it didn't go away until the ignition key was turned off then putting the kill switch to run before trying to turn the ignition on with the key. I was concerned that the OP might have been trying to figure everything out while the kill switch was engaged. I did this process with my '06 SV1000S this afternoon and it didn't work like it does with the SV650. On my SV1000S, no FI light remained flashing with the kill switch engaged and ignition key turned on. So it was a moot point on my part.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 07:31 AM
Moped rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
That wasn't my SV650, just a random one on YouTube I found. It was flashing the FI light because the kill switch had been engaged. And it didn't go away until the ignition key was turned off then putting the kill switch to run before trying to turn the ignition on with the key. I was concerned that the OP might have been trying to figure everything out while the kill switch was engaged. I did this process with my '06 SV1000S this afternoon and it didn't work like it does with the SV650. On my SV1000S, no FI light remained flashing with the kill switch engaged and ignition key turned on. So it was a moot point on my part.
Ah...

My bike is acting like it is feeling the cold right now and the same C is showing up when I turn on the ignition, thought you might have had some enlightenment no matter,l I will probably get a new battery as mine is not holding great charge anymore.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 01:18 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Ah...

My bike is acting like it is feeling the cold right now and the same C is showing up when I turn on the ignition, thought you might have had some enlightenment no matter,l I will probably get a new battery as mine is not holding great charge anymore.

Oh yeah, I remember we had this discussion in this thread.

Have you checked your voltage while the bike is running? If it's not stable and slowly dropping, I'd be concerned about the stator magnets.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 10:11 PM
Moped rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Did that check, can't remember the exact voltage reading but I did check at the time and it was a good reading and it was stable, she loses power if she's idle for a couple of days. It's been pissing down here for the past few days definitely not nice for a ride if it starts up today I will be very lucky.

I have a few options in batteries YTX14-BS GTX14-BS or RTX14-BS the YTX is the battery I have right now and that has been in for at least 4 years now so might go up a notch.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th June 2019, 12:13 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:

The cluster was set for metric readout so 'c' being Celsius. Note the kph beside the speed readout too. Can't understand metrics.....long live the inch!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th June 2019, 12:58 AM
Moped rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
She was probably cold. Anyway... got a new battery from Battery Mart Australia an RTX14-BS $101 put it in and spitfire... look out... going for ride!!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th June 2019, 02:33 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
I have a few options in batteries YTX14-BS GTX14-BS or RTX14-BS the YTX is the battery I have right now and that has been in for at least 4 years now so might go up a notch.
Forget the G / Y / R bit....thats a factory designation.... they are all the same.....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 285,000kms and counting...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th June 2019, 10:41 AM
Moped rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
The RTX14-BS is an AGM battery

SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) and VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) are different acronyms for the same battery. ... AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) refers to a specific type of SLA/VRLA where the electrolyte is absorbed into separators between the plates consisting of sponge like fine glass fiber mats.

Must admit I don't know much about batteries, I just went with the reviews I'd read which said that the AGM batteries have a greater kick so I thought for a few extra $$$ why not. The bike seems very happy BTW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in