• 1 Post By oldbaldsob
  • 1 Post By Missing Link

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th July 2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Florida
Won't idle when warm.

2005 SV1000s, ran fine when last used but laid up for many months. Started and idled fine but once warm it appears to go onto one cylinder and die. If you keep the revs up it runs but one cylinder drops in and out until revs are high.
Once it dies, if you give it a few seconds it starts ok and idles for a short time.
I'm guessing fuel but where to look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 4th July 2019, 11:23 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Many months? Have you used a fuel stabiliser to prevent the fuel from going off over that time ?
Higher octane fuels tend to go off pretty quickly too, so for example 98 octane fuels go off really quite quickly, and while a fuel injected bike will generally fire up ok, performance will be a bit ordinary....this MIGHT be the issue.....
Old 98 fuel in a carby vehicle is about as useful as water with methylated spirits in it....just wont fire at all....

It maybe worth draining the tank and dumping some fresh juice in....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 285,000kms and counting...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 5th July 2019, 06:26 PM
Highway Biker

♂ New Zealand
Auckland,New Zealand
Garage
I heard that Methanol is used in the fuel in US,try fueling up from a gas station where the fuel does not contain Methanol.
95 octane is not mixed with that garbage usually.
Missing Link is right about draining the fuel and using new fuel.
Jerky idle happened to me here,caused by Methanol used in the fuel...

Flush front indicators,mini rear indicators with polished aluminium mounting plates,electronic flasher relay,frame sliders,TRE,Home made radar detector support,white led strips under headlight,black anodized aluminium radiator grille,pack rack

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 6th July 2019, 12:19 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
In addition to the good suggestion of fresh gas, it would be a good idea to check out the condition of your airbox/air filter. Mice really like to build nests in there. Also, checking the spark plug wires to make sure there is exposed copper wire to conduct current can be easily done. Just twist and pull on the wire closest to the spark plug, snip off a few mm, and then replace by twisting/pushing it back in until it wont go any more.
slatanik likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th July 2019, 02:40 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatanik View Post
I heard that Methanol is used in the fuel in US,try fueling up from a gas station where the fuel does not contain Methanol.
95 octane is not mixed with that garbage usually.
Missing Link is right about draining the fuel and using new fuel.
Jerky idle happened to me here,caused by Methanol used in the fuel...
I believe you mean ethanol rather than methanol
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 9th July 2019, 03:12 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Not everyone likes meth.....
slatanik likes this.

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 9th July 2019, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Florida
Hi folks, thanks for the responses so far but I haven't had time to check things out yet.
FYI, When I first started it it ran just fine for about 10 miles before it had trouble idling, I immediately filled it up with gas which didn't have any noticeable difference. I'm having trouble understanding why the gas would cause a problem only when the engine was warm, also, if the engine has been stopped for less than a minute it starts up and idles just fine for a short time.
The idea of gremlins building nests makes sense but again, not had time to check it out yet.
I've acquired some carb cleaner and intend to give the injectors and throttle bodies a good spray as well.
I did manage to fit new plugs initially but made no difference, starts fine, idles for awhile then seems like one cylinder drops out (can't tell which) but if given enough throttle the revs come up and the other cylinder comes back to life.
Once I get a chance to look at it again I'll let you know the results but meanwhile, any other thoughts are welcome.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 9th July 2019, 03:54 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Clipping a few mm off the spark plug wires to expose fresh copper wire is quick and simple. See posts 12 thru 16 of this thread for more details: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...ctor-help.html.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 9th July 2019, 04:49 AM
Highway Biker

♂ New Zealand
Auckland,New Zealand
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I believe you mean ethanol rather than methanol

My mistake! Correct,ethanol!

Flush front indicators,mini rear indicators with polished aluminium mounting plates,electronic flasher relay,frame sliders,TRE,Home made radar detector support,white led strips under headlight,black anodized aluminium radiator grille,pack rack
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 9th July 2019, 04:50 AM
Highway Biker

♂ New Zealand
Auckland,New Zealand
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Not everyone likes meth.....

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 9th July 2019, 06:25 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sid View Post
FYI, When I first started it it ran just fine for about 10 miles before it had trouble idling, I immediately filled it up with gas which didn't have any noticeable difference. I'm having trouble understanding why the gas would cause a problem only when the engine was warm, also, if the engine has been stopped for less than a minute it starts up and idles just fine for a short time.
Just had a thought....have you got a spare key for the bike ?
If so, undo the fuel cap or if not, undo the cap from the tank......if the cap is not venting, it may be resulting in a partial vacuum.....and, if your fuel filter is filthy, the two would issues would be really making hard for the fuel pump.....

Than start her up and see what happens with the tank open....

Worth a try, and its free.....

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th July 2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Florida
The idea of the fuel tank not venting is such an obvious one that I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it ( thank you "Missing Link"!) and today I got around to checking it, unfortunately it didn't help. Same old story, starts up and idles fine until after it warms up, probably a minute or so, then it won't idle.
My current thought is that it's something to do with the injector throttle body or maybe a sensor associated with it. Haven't had time to get back into it to check out critter nests, plug wires etc. but hopefully in a day or two when this storm passes.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 12:40 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Oh yeah...... Barry is giving you guys a blow....no, i wont go there.....

Hope all goes well for you throught that one....

Coils can cause issues if they are stuffed when the engine warms up.....
Probably increases the resistance through the plugs, which will make the coils
sign out..... so maybe some new (newer) ones......
But first do what was suggested earlier, unscrew the plug caps off the leads, trim 5mm (1/4")
off the leads and then screw the boots back on......

Had another thought.....

When the engine is cold, the fuel mixture is richer, and as the bike warms, the high idle drops away and the fuel mixture will lean out....

If the mixture does not lean out, and, if it was already set rich through and ECu flash, or through a power Commander, once the engine warms up, the fuel mix may be so rich that it can cause the engine to run rough or, if the idle speed is too slow, it could even quench it...

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in