Which is the best fuel to use at Altitude - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th July 2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ South Africa
Randburg
Which is the best fuel to use at Altitude

OK.. So I always go for 98 octane in my 2011 SV1000S because higher is better, Right?. But occasionally I'm stuck with 95 Octane.
I get the feeling that the bike rather likes the 95 octane and wonder if I'm just wasting my money on the 98 octane.
The bike lives at 1500m above seas level on a plateau. What do you think?

Digging holes in the ground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th July 2019, 08:45 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
The stock engine needs 87 octane (we use R+M/2) at sea level and the higher you go....the less octane you need because of the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Many States here that exist at altitudes of 4000+feet only have 91 octane as their highest where we down here near Sea Level have 93-94 common at the pumps.

Your 98 is very likely much the same as our 93 rating and unless you've modified the motor pretty decently it's not needed even at Sea Level. If the bike seems to like the 95...by all means use it! The stock SV motor isn't hard on the octane and detonation shouldn't be a problem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 8th July 2019, 04:39 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I have found 95 is the best all round......not that we have altitude issues here in Oz....but i would say the RecoilRob is on the money....

One owner..... 295,000kms and counting... 5k to go....

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 8th July 2019, 03:39 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
The stock engine needs 87 octane (we use R+M/2) at sea level and the higher you go....the less octane you need because of the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Many States here that exist at altitudes of 4000+feet only have 91 octane as their highest where we down here near Sea Level have 93-94 common at the pumps.

Your 98 is very likely much the same as our 93 rating and unless you've modified the motor pretty decently it's not needed even at Sea Level. If the bike seems to like the 95...by all means use it! The stock SV motor isn't hard on the octane and detonation shouldn't be a problem.
here in CA it's 87/89/91 even at sea level
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th July 2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ South Africa
Randburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post

Thanks Junkie; It all makes perfect sense but also poses the question... Do American made bikes have a different compression ratio to Japanese made bikes? Mine is a Jap bike (E4) and I would assume that Missing Link's Bike is also a Jap manufacture. In any event I'm going to drop it down to a tank full of 93 and see what happens. Probably nothing but I'll let you all know,

Digging holes in the ground
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th July 2019, 06:24 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Downunder
Yanks don't make bikes, only Harley's.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th July 2019, 02:10 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ South Africa
Hartbeespoort
I live in Hartbeespoort, which is about the same altitude as Randburg. My bike definitely likes the 95octane better. I tried 97 octane and could see no difference in performance, only an occasional backfire through the airbox when blipping the throttle. Now I only use 95 octane.

Copper is Cool
Stealth bolt-ons
Ermax hugger
Hamicad rad grille & eliminator
Chewy's mirror spacers
K&N Filter
Tornado double-bubble screen
Chewy's angled can modification kit
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th July 2019, 02:30 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ South Africa
Hartbeespoort
My mind is not working so well since I have retired! The only fuel types we have here is 93 and 95. I only use 93.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th July 2019, 02:53 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Thanks Junkie; It all makes perfect sense but also poses the question... Do American made bikes have a different compression ratio to Japanese made bikes? Mine is a Jap bike (E4) and I would assume that Missing Link's Bike is also a Jap manufacture. In any event I'm going to drop it down to a tank full of 93 and see what happens. Probably nothing but I'll let you all know,
as Rob said, we measure octane differently. It's something like a 5 octane difference for the same fuel. Of course that isn't an exact number...

you should be fine with a tank of 93
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th July 2019, 12:14 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post

Nope.....I believe all markets got the same motor....though some had more restrictive ECU's for different HP max due to regulations.

The basic design and tuning of the SV1K means it's not going to run happily below 3000 rpm and is happiest getting WOT no less than 4000...so it's spinning pretty fast and really can't be lugged so detonation is not much of a problem for most.

The worst part of this problem is that detonation is VERY destructive and I for sure would never hear it should it happen which means the motor will die if I let it detonate. Seeing as I can't detect when it would happen...I run the best fuel I can find and (knocks on wood) it's still alive and well on our 93.

There are different ways to blend fuel that will arrive at the same octane rating but contain a lot different btu content or vaporize better or whatever else can contribute to less fuel being needed and better mileage results. I try all the different brands in the local area and if I find one runs better...it gets used.

Years ago Sunoco used to offer a Super 94 blend and my V-Max always got 30 or so more miles on a tank vs all the other fuels available in town. Others had the same results so there must have been more energy in that fuel to deliver better mpg's in everyone who tried it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in