Front Left Caliper Help - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 9th July 2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Copthorne, W. Sussex
Front Left Caliper Help

Hi guys,

Think my front left caliper is duff - when bleeding, having cracked the nipple, fluid leaks out at the base of the nipple rather than down the bleed tube. Have tried different nipples but same result. Is it worth trying the teflon tape trick or do I just risk a used caliper - are the 4 pot Tokicos fitted to any other bikes to improve my Ebay search options (GSR600 etc)?

Need two new tyres and caliper for MOT so trying to save pennies but need brakes sorting as a priority as can't bleed them like this.

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th July 2019, 02:22 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Thats unusual ..... You are only cracking the nipple by 1/3 of a turn ? Thats really all you need.
Anymore than that then, because it is a slightly tapered hole, it will bleed out then.....

Otherwise, it kind of indicates a crack or fissure.....but, that is fairly unlikely.....

Teflon tape is not going to help, as brake fluid disolves PTFE (Teflon), i am not aware of ANY type of sealant, liquid or tape, that will work.....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 290,000kms and counting...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th July 2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ England
Copthorne, W. Sussex
Thanks amte, I suspect a crack or thread damage from a previous owner perhaps forcing the wrong size nipple in? Either way it looks fooked as if I barely crack it nothing comes out, opening it slightly further (not even 1/3 turn) results in fluid leaking around the nipple and down off the caliper to the disc and then to the floor.

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th July 2019, 02:57 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
As long as you can bleed it, then just go with that and save the money on another caliper...

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th July 2019, 03:30 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
I wonder if J-B Weld could be used here. What do you think?

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th July 2019, 06:56 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav617 View Post
....I suspect a crack or thread damage from a previous owner perhaps forcing the wrong size nipple in?....

Another option is to check into using a Helicoil to repair those threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th July 2019, 06:46 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Thats unusual ..... You are only cracking the nipple by 1/3 of a turn ? Thats really all you need.

Anymore than that then, because it is a slightly tapered hole, it will bleed out then.....

Otherwise, it kind of indicates a crack or fissure.....but, that is fairly unlikely.....

Teflon tape is not going to help, as brake fluid disolves PTFE (Teflon), i am not aware of ANY type of sealant, liquid or tape, that will work.....

I often use an aerobic thread sealant.
I use just a drop, and let it cure. Works great to keep fluid from working its way up threads while using the bleeder.
-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 18th July 2019, 05:10 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
I often use an aerobic thread sealant.
I use just a drop, and let it cure. Works great to keep fluid from working its way up threads while using the bleeder.
-ms
The word aerobic scares the crap outa me....sounds like exercise....

By aerobic, can you suggest a brand, or generic name ?

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 18th July 2019, 05:19 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
The word aerobic scares the crap outa me....sounds like exercise....

By aerobic, can you suggest a brand, or generic name ?

I think the couple I have/use are Three Bond products.

Anaerobics are like common thread lockers. You take the air away from them and they cure. When you thread the bolt in, it takes the oxygen away and they set. Have any of you ever noticed that the tubes are not even close to full!? This keeps air in the container so the agent does not cure.

Aerobic sealants you dab on and let them sit out in air to cure. Then thread them in. Lots of factory Kawasaki bolts come this way in the bags.

-ms

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 19th July 2019, 03:15 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
arrr....i see, said the blind man....

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in