Hand turn engine - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Missing Link

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Hand turn engine

Hi all, bike stood for 4years not drained down I want to check my pistons are free to move any advice on how I hand turn my bike engine over before starting it up please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2019, 09:14 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage

You can remove the generator cover plug on the left hand side of the bike and turn the engine using a 17 mm socket. Below is a page from the owner's manual showing this. After you've turned the engine to your satisfaction and want to put the generator plug back, it's torque value is 11 ft-lbs (more torque values found here if you need any).

My crashed bike sat outside for about 3-4 years before I decided to rebuild it. And a fair amount of oil had drained out through the crushed oil cooler. It started right up with no issues after I put it back together. I'm fairly certain you'll be right as rain as well.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to get your bike back on the road. Good bunch of folks here on the forum. Good luck and post up some pics of your bike when you get a chance!

turning engine.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 24th July 2019, 03:25 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
...and, pull the spark plugs out and drop 10cc of oil in the cylinders to lube them up......you could even just give a decent squirt of WD40 or similar.... those bores will be dry as...

Also, when it starts, and you get oil pressure and the engine gets up to temp.....dump the oil and filter and put in fresh stuff......
Used oil can break down over time, and the solid parts of the oil will sink out of the mix...
Glenn likes this.

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 294,000kms and counting...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in