2007 Sv1000 rear cylinder issue - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Garage
2007 Sv1000 rear cylinder issue

I've had my 07 SV1k for like 2 month now and so far I've had to swap the rear cylinder plug like 6 times. Mech says the injector on the rear cylinder is pumping excess fuel thus the plug gets wet and the plug comes out with carbon deposit. Bike runs perfectly after plug swap. There's also a strong smell of petrol whenever i fire her up or when at a red light. Plus the smoke coming out of the rear cylinder is black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2019, 11:31 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keitany View Post
I've had my 07 SV1k for like 2 month now and so far I've had to swap the rear cylinder plug like 6 times. Mech says the injector on the rear cylinder is pumping excess fuel thus the plug gets wet and the plug comes out with carbon deposit. Bike runs perfectly after plug swap. There's also a strong smell of petrol whenever i fire her up or when at a red light. Plus the smoke coming out of the rear cylinder is black.

If you want to double check it is an actual injector issue, swap the injectors and see if the issue moves to front.

If it does, send the injectors out for proper service and flow testing.

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2019, 02:20 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Baldivis, Western Australia
Hi, from what you have written I agree with the Mech. Black smoke is excess fuel. FIX IT! Eventually the fuel will wash the bore and destroy the cylinder. I agree with Schmidt 134, swap the squirts over and se if the problem follows. Better, and not sure if this can be done, fire the injector out of the cylinder and if the nozzle gets wet with fuel and forms drops then it's buggered.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 6th August 2019, 12:59 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
You can, with a little mucking around, set up a rig to run carby clean/injector cleaner through the injector (out of the bike)
Entails some creative piping, and max 6vdc to trigger the injector while supplying a flow from the aerosol of cleaner....

Did this in the past, and it works reasonably well.....

Best of course is using an ultra-sonic bath at the same time to vibrate the crap out too....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 292,000kms and counting...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th November 2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
You can, with a little mucking around, set up a rig to run carby clean/injector cleaner through the injector (out of the bike)
Entails some creative piping, and max 6vdc to trigger the injector while supplying a flow from the aerosol of cleaner....

Did this in the past, and it works reasonably well.....

Best of course is using an ultra-sonic bath at the same time to vibrate the crap out too....

have swapped the injectors and the fuel pump, it is still behaving the same. At the moment it's flooding the rear cylinder.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th November 2019, 09:14 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
have swapped the injectors and the fuel pump, it is still behaving the same. At the moment it's flooding the rear cylinder.

Swap coils F/R and if thatís not it run a leak down test.
-ms

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 7th November 2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Garage
This is how the plug looks like after 3 day use
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191106_100843.jpg (515.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20191106_100842.jpg (517.2 KB, 13 views)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 7th November 2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Garage
Planning on replacing the ignition coil and boot of the rear cylinder and see if that helps
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 8th November 2019, 12:49 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
2007 Sv1000 rear cylinder issue

Quote:
Planning on replacing the ignition coil and boot of the rear cylinder and see if that helps

Did you test the primary and secondary sides of the coil for the resistance values?

You can also do a leak down test right now.
That plug dies not look good...
Letís hope it is a coil and not a burned up valve or something causing you to have no compression.
-ms

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 8th November 2019, 03:21 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Another little maintenance thing for the long term is to remove the plug cap/boot and cut 1/4" (6mm) off the lead, give the cap/boot a wash out with contact or brake cleaner and screw it back onto the lead....the connection gets pretty grim after a while.....
Unless you have confirmed that the coil is screwed by another method, swap the front and rear coils as suggested by Mr Schmidt314, its cheaper to do than buying something that might not be the problem.....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 8th November 2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Another little maintenance thing for the long term is to remove the plug cap/boot and cut 1/4" (6mm) off the lead, give the cap/boot a wash out with contact or brake cleaner and screw it back onto the lead....the connection gets pretty grim after a while.....
Unless you have confirmed that the coil is screwed by another method, swap the front and rear coils as suggested by Mr Schmidt314, its cheaper to do than buying something that might not be the problem.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Did you test the primary and secondary sides of the coil for the resistance values?

You can also do a leak down test right now.
That plug dies not look good...
Letís hope it is a coil and not a burned up valve or something causing you to have no compression.
-ms
Will do the leak down test, have replaced trimmed the lead wire and replaced the rubber boot. so far it's working well. will update after a two day run to see how it will behave
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11th November 2019, 02:03 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Hopefully you "working well" means that you have fixed the issue....

Unless the boot has died somehow, which is pretty rare, i would hazard a guess
that the lead trim did as much as replacing the boot..... give the boot a good wash out, and keep it
in your goodies box....i would be surprised if it is stuffed

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th November 2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Garage
Quote:
Will do the leak down test, have replaced trimmed the lead wire and replaced the rubber boot. so far it's working well. will update after a two day run to see how it will behave
Update, the new plug failed. swapped it for a new and removed it a running the engine for 10 mins. found traces of motor oil on the plug. also noticed there is a leak in ignition coil lead wire. if you touch i while while cranking the bike you get a mild shock.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 15th November 2019, 12:34 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
The oil/fuel build up may be because it isn't firing properly....

Have you swapped the coils front for rear temporarily to see what happens yet ?

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in