SV Portal Forums banner

2007 Sv1000 rear cylinder issue

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Missing Link 
#1 ·
I've had my 07 SV1k for like 2 month now and so far I've had to swap the rear cylinder plug like 6 times. Mech says the injector on the rear cylinder is pumping excess fuel thus the plug gets wet and the plug comes out with carbon deposit. Bike runs perfectly after plug swap. There's also a strong smell of petrol whenever i fire her up or when at a red light. Plus the smoke coming out of the rear cylinder is black.

#2 ·
If you want to double check it is an actual injector issue, swap the injectors and see if the issue moves to front.

If it does, send the injectors out for proper service and flow testing.

-ms

#3 ·
Hi, from what you have written I agree with the Mech. Black smoke is excess fuel. FIX IT! Eventually the fuel will wash the bore and destroy the cylinder. I agree with Schmidt 134, swap the squirts over and se if the problem follows. Better, and not sure if this can be done, fire the injector out of the cylinder and if the nozzle gets wet with fuel and forms drops then it's buggered.

#4 ·
You can, with a little mucking around, set up a rig to run carby clean/injector cleaner through the injector (out of the bike)
Entails some creative piping, and max 6vdc to trigger the injector while supplying a flow from the aerosol of cleaner....

Did this in the past, and it works reasonably well.....

Best of course is using an ultra-sonic bath at the same time to vibrate the crap out too....

#9 ·
Did you test the primary and secondary sides of the coil for the resistance values?

You can also do a leak down test right now.
That plug dies not look good...
Let’s hope it is a coil and not a burned up valve or something causing you to have no compression.
-ms

#10 ·
Another little maintenance thing for the long term is to remove the plug cap/boot and cut 1/4" (6mm) off the lead, give the cap/boot a wash out with contact or brake cleaner and screw it back onto the lead....the connection gets pretty grim after a while.....
Unless you have confirmed that the coil is screwed by another method, swap the front and rear coils as suggested by Mr Schmidt314, its cheaper to do than buying something that might not be the problem.....

#11 ·
Did you test the primary and secondary sides of the coil for the resistance values?

You can also do a leak down test right now.
That plug dies not look good...
Let’s hope it is a coil and not a burned up valve or something causing you to have no compression.
-ms
Will do the leak down test, have replaced trimmed the lead wire and replaced the rubber boot. so far it's working well. will update after a two day run to see how it will behave

#12 ·
Hopefully you "working well" means that you have fixed the issue....

Unless the boot has died somehow, which is pretty rare, i would hazard a guess
that the lead trim did as much as replacing the boot..... give the boot a good wash out, and keep it
in your goodies box....i would be surprised if it is stuffed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.