Looking for guidance on rebuilding an SV1000 - SV1000 Portal
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Looking for guidance on rebuilding an SV1000

Hello, I owned a 2000 SV650 years ago and always loved that bike. Recently, I picked up a SV1000 in need of some attention and have done some searching through the forum and been able to find bits and pieces of information regarding my aspirations. However, I was hoping that perhaps I could get some support from the experienced forum members in generating some leads to expedite the process toward rebuilding a 2003 SV1000N.

The bike is in decent shape, no body damage, mechanically seems like it is tired (>26-k miles), and didn't see much love from the previous owner.

My intentions, albeit perhaps a bit grand, are to tear down the bike and rebuild it in its entirety. To start with I am not sure how much to budget and I realize it depends on what the goal is, so let me start with what I optimistically am hoping to accomplish.

I would like to build a nasty 1L street fighter, mid to high torque, larger pistons, cam, improve the clutch and transmission, rework all of the lighting/electric, suspension and brake systems, bob the tail (sub-frame) behind the driver's seat, and re-finish the entire bike (frame, swing arm, wheels, tank, engine & trans cases). Based upon the research I have done thus far, I believe my target of 125-130 bhp is reasonable. I am committed to investing between $3-7k US and doing the mechanical and finish work myself. I will however want to invest in quality performance parts and machining.

I realize that there are many links and even more opinions on this type of build, so I am hoping to start amassing information with the intent to start the tear down later this fall and complete the build within 1-yr. I live in North Carolina (Asheville), but the build will most likely take place at a hangar in northern VA.

If this thread is misplaced, please forgive my intrusion and provide constructive guidance on how best to yield favorable results. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Oh, and . . .
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

I must make . . .

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

over 10 posts to see other post pics and vids.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

This is #5!! and I don't have much of anything to add to other discussions yet since I know very little about these bikes at this point and time.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 09:16 PM
One man & his dog

♂ England
Farnham, Surrey, UK
Bike is easy to work on - assume you have the manuals? SV1000S 2003 Service Manual

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can live more in 5 minutes on a bike... than some people will live in their whole lifetime (Burt Munro, World's Fastest Indian)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 09:17 PM
One man & his dog

♂ England
Farnham, Surrey, UK
Plus there was a supplement for the SV1000N, which I have as a PDF
correngcon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can live more in 5 minutes on a bike... than some people will live in their whole lifetime (Burt Munro, World's Fastest Indian)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 10:23 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage

Like the SV650, these SV1000s are tough bikes. I rebuilt my '05 SV1000S this past year after I crashed it and it sat outside for several years. More details in my rebuild thread. It fired right up after the fuel lines got primed. I even used the stock water pump gasket and clutch slave. There are loads of threads on everything you could want to do to these bikes to make more power. Here are a few of threads that might peak your interest though:

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...gear-sets.html

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...rs-sv1000.html

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...dt314-way.html

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...14-dl1000.html

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...oker-kits.html

Have fun and be sure to keep us up to date on your progress.
correngcon likes this.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 10:33 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
I'd consider starting off with the least expensive option: set squish and degree the cams. The parts cost is minimal.

I'd start looking for a later flywheel, the reduction of rotating weight will help.

Later TBs are bigger too. I think the cams are as well, I forget if the heads are.

As far as big bore goes, the DL1000A jugs work. Not sure how heavy the OEM pistons are though, and whether you're better off going with aftermarket or not.

Suspension: go with a Penske shock (double or triple), GSXR forks (06+600/750), R6 calipers.

My engine is stock but other than that my bike is pretty nicely sorted.
correngcon likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 12:08 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by correngcon View Post
Hello, I owned a 2000 SV650 years ago and always loved that bike. Recently, I picked up a SV1000 in need of some attention and have done some searching through the forum and been able to find bits and pieces of information regarding my aspirations. However, I was hoping that perhaps I could get some support from the experienced forum members in generating some leads to expedite the process toward rebuilding a 2003 SV1000N.

The bike is in decent shape, no body damage, mechanically seems like it is tired (>26-k miles), and didn't see much love from the previous owner.

My intentions, albeit perhaps a bit grand, are to tear down the bike and rebuild it in its entirety. To start with I am not sure how much to budget and I realize it depends on what the goal is, so let me start with what I optimistically am hoping to accomplish.

I would like to build a nasty 1L street fighter, mid to high torque, larger pistons, cam, improve the clutch and transmission, rework all of the lighting/electric, suspension and brake systems, bob the tail (sub-frame) behind the driver's seat, and re-finish the entire bike (frame, swing arm, wheels, tank, engine & trans cases). Based upon the research I have done thus far, I believe my target of 125-130 bhp is reasonable. I am committed to investing between $3-7k US and doing the mechanical and finish work myself. I will however want to invest in quality performance parts and machining.

I realize that there are many links and even more opinions on this type of build, so I am hoping to start amassing information with the intent to start the tear down later this fall and complete the build within 1-yr. I live in North Carolina (Asheville), but the build will most likely take place at a hangar in northern VA.

If this thread is misplaced, please forgive my intrusion and provide constructive guidance on how best to yield favorable results. Thank you.

I have extensive experience in building all kinds of SV1000 engines including 4.5mm over bores, big valve heads, huge cams, porting, light cranks, rods, clutches, modified over bored throttle bodies, big injectors...

They rip if done correctly!

-ms
correngcon likes this.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 02:20 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Tired at 26k Miles ?

Not unless its still on the run-in oil, or its been fed alcohol as fuel.....

I got 180k on mine and it gets flogged and it still flies....

But, its a moot point if you are going the gung-ho route anyway......

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 292,000kms and counting...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 04:28 PM
Moped rider

♂ Canada
Montreal
Garage
There is a guy local-ish to me with some used parts that might interest you?, a slightly modified raised sub frame and a M4 2-1 collector (mid pipe only).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...ationFlag=true

Sounds like a cool project! Obviously would be a lot of work but polishing the frame / sub-frame / swingarm is a significant change and is more hours than $$$.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

I do not have anything but the basic manual electronically. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a hard copy and the supplement you mentioned. Thank you for the reply.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
I have extensive experience in building all kinds of SV1000 engines including 4.5mm over bores, big valve heads, huge cams, porting, light cranks, rods, clutches, modified over bored throttle bodies, big injectors...

They rip if done correctly!

-ms
Sounds great and I appreciate your reply. Any insight you are willing to provide would be most appreciated. I am currently finishing up a frame off re-build of a 2012 RAM 3500 and then I plan to spend a couple months sorting out what the build will look like and ordering parts. The actual build will most likely not start until late fall at the earliest.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 8th August 2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Tired at 26k Miles ?

Not unless its still on the run-in oil, or its been fed alcohol as fuel.....

I got 180k on mine and it gets flogged and it still flies....

But, its a moot point if you are going the gung-ho route anyway......
Buying a 16yo SV with an unknown maintenance history from a guy who frankly didn't deserve to own a bike is not always a strong start. I did take it out yesterday and it still has good bones and makes decent power. However, I know how a stock SV1000 felt years ago when I had my SV650 and did some ride swapping with a friend. This isn't hitting as clean as that one did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in