2003 SV1000s No Start - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 21st August 2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
2003 SV1000s No Start

Good afternoon I have had my 2003 for about 6 years now and it has always started first try. A couple of years ago it would not start and I did the green connector repair and that solved it. I pulled the bike out after the winter and I could start it, it would run for about 5 seconds before it would shut off and not start back up for about 5 minutes then it would run for 5 seconds and die again. Now it will only crank and not even think about starting. It is getting fuel because it is coming out the vent tubes out the bottom. I changed the spark plugs and oil. It seems like it isn't getting any spark. The only error code I am getting is C21 the airbox because I have the airbox off to check the green connector. The wires are still firmly crimped and heat shrinked together. Any ideas? I am beyond frustrated and ready to just give the dang thing away lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 21st August 2019, 04:36 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Sanford, NC
I learned the hard way, to never trust crimp connectors- I always try to solder my connections.....best way to avoid inviting gremlins into the elctronics. YMMV-
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 21st August 2019, 05:59 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
What are your battery voltage values at rest before turning on the ignition, after you turn on the ignition but before starting it, and while trying to start it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2019, 12:09 AM
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
What are your battery voltage values at rest before turning on the ignition, after you turn on the ignition but before starting it, and while trying to start it?
I agree completely. If the battery isn’t fully charged, so like at least 12.4 volts with the bike off, the ECU won’t allow the plugs to spark.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
I have been cranking off a running car. Matheneyr3 are you recommending I undo the crimp connector? Does it sound like it is the green connector problem?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2019, 02:11 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseladdict View Post
I have been cranking off a running car. Matheneyr3 are you recommending I undo the crimp connector? Does it sound like it is the green connector problem?

I'd check the battery voltages I described in the above conditions first. Sometimes a battery can be beyond resurrection, even with jump starting. If it is the "green connector" you won't have lights or power to your instrument cluster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2019, 03:30 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Sanford, NC
I'd follow Oldbaldsob's advice first- and, on the off the off hand you find nothing wrong there.....I'd verify the last mods you made were intact. Good voltage, solid connections...?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 03:17 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
It is getting fuel because it is coming out the vent tubes out the bottom. .
There are no vent tubes where fuel should be coming out....so that is where I'd start. Where is this fuel coming from? The plugs are easily flooded if it cranks for just a couple seconds without starting...but fuel dripping from the bike is a sure sign that something is wrong.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 03:27 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
There are no vent tubes where fuel should be coming out....so that is where I'd start. Where is this fuel coming from? The plugs are easily flooded if it cranks for just a couple seconds without starting...but fuel dripping from the bike is a sure sign that something is wrong.

Dang, I completely missed that when I fist read the post. Yeah, fuel shouldn't be spilling out of the bike at all during starting. The only time gas can come out of the gas tank vent tube is if you've overfilled the tank, especially on hot days when the cool gas eventually warms and expands or if you drop the bike with a full tank of gas. (I've heard )

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Attached a picture of where fuel comes out after I crank it for a little. It doesn't pour out but it drips for a while
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68878235_729941697455836_4871067507273760768_n.jpg (181.4 KB, 4 views)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 10:07 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Strange. Crack open your gas tank before you start it up next time and see if that happens.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 10:40 PM
L-Plate Rider

Oh. No. As a general rule of thumb you should never ever jump a bike with a _running_ car battery. They’re bigger and with the alternator running it can produce so many Amps that it fries the electrical circuits in the bike. I have ruined a bike doing this before.
As long as the car is not running it’s safe to do.

So, I would look at some electrical systems related to the fuel system and see if anything is fried.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 24th August 2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
I did that once off the car. The rest of the time I have been jumping off a car battery that is reading 13v dropping down to 12.5 but always above 12.4 when cranking. I took the motorcycle battery out since it was dead as a doornail so I just clip my jumper cables straight to the cables. Would it have any effect not having the motorcycle battery in?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 25th August 2019, 02:33 AM
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
I did that once off the car. The rest of the time I have been jumping off a car battery that is reading 13v dropping down to 12.5 but always above 12.4 when cranking. I took the motorcycle battery out since it was dead as a doornail so I just clip my jumper cables straight to the cables. Would it have any effect not having the motorcycle battery in?
No, as long as it’s a 12v batter it should be good.

C21, air intake temp sensor. Check the voltage at the plug with a multimeter. It should be between 0.15 and 4.5 volts dc.

Also. Here a a short manual for your bike. I’ve used it a lot.

http://www.edubs.net/bikestuff/sv100...nformation.pdf

I’ll try to post the 450 page service manual that goes into a lot of detail about different aspects of the bike.

No, I don’t think so. As long as it’s a 12v battery it will do.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 25th August 2019, 02:36 AM
L-Plate Rider

Here is another good source.

http://www.edubs.net/bikestuff/sv100...ServiceManual/

Also, I’ve downloaded this on my iPhone, but it won’t allow me to upload. But here is the link.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...i-Sv1000s.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in