Fuel Efficiency vs Power: Is stock the best setup? - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Fuel Efficiency vs Power: Is stock the best setup?

Just picked up a K6 SV1KS with 69 original miles on it!

Riding it this week, I've been averaging 42-45 mpg (US), which doesn't seem bad at all considering I'm 230 lbs and 6'4" tall wearing full gear and the bike's not even broken in yet.

My intention is to commute on the SV1K regularly, so I want to maintain excellent fuel efficiency, but I also want to maximize power and ride-ability around town and on the occasional weekend excursion into my local canyons.

Is it possible to squeeze more performance out of this package without sacrificing cruising mileage or is stock (mufflers, ecu, airbox/filter, etc) the best way to go?

Thanks!

-C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 02:04 AM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Elk Grove, CA
The old school has taught me that more power means burning more gas. 45 mpg is the very best I’ve ever got on my ‘07 1000s, BTW. Heck we could both cut that in half just whacking the throttle a bit! For more relaxing rides, I pay for Dave Moss to adjust my suspension and try to keep it in the 6-7 range as far as street riding goes. At my age I don’t have anything to prove and there are even more idiots out there competing to have us as hood adornments, right?

https://www.superbike-coach.com/coac...spension-guide

Cheers!

RealShelby / Werks clutch basket mod. It works great!
Flush mount LED indicators.
Dave Moss suspension tuning.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 02:46 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Superbike Coach? Ugh...

I imagine RecoilRob will provide more details but the stock fuel map on the SV is awfully rich in places, and has way too much timing. If you have the stock ECU remapped to a more reasonable fuel and timing map you can get better mileage AND more power.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 03:38 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Have you thought about a larger rear sprocket? Theoretically that should increase mileage

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 04:04 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
Typically lowering the gearing hurts mileage as the engine has to turn more times for a given distance. Same reason you'll get better mileage at a certain speed in 6th gear vs 5th gear.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 27th August 2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I imagine RecoilRob will provide more details but the stock fuel map on the SV is awfully rich in places, and has way too much timing. If you have the stock ECU remapped to a more reasonable fuel and timing map you can get better mileage AND more power.
So, there is potential to improve power/mpg in a stock configuration?

I was thinking about swapping on some Danmoto slip-ons for the look/sound, but wanted to keep overall mods to a minimum.

Is it possible to send the ECU somewhere to be mapped? I know that's a popular option with most other bikes and that there's usually a reliable base map for certain mods offered by companies, but I haven't seen much on the SV aside from widespread use of Power Commanders, which I'd prefer to avoid if possible...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 30th August 2019, 01:34 AM
L-Plate Rider

My 2005 sv1000 naked that has 115000 km (71500 miles) on the original untouched factory engine consumes 5 litres per 100kms when riding on the highway travelling constantly at 100 kilometres per hour doing 4000 rpm. My bike has dual devil exhaust mufflers, K&N air filter, GIpro ATRE G2 and 18 tooth front, 43 tooth rear sprockets. If I've done my calculations and conversions right, your bike seems to be consuming 1.5 litres (0.400 gallons) per 100km (62 miles) more.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 30th August 2019, 04:53 AM
Moped rider

♂ South Africa
Randburg
The SV is a de-tuned DL with a much better handling efficiency and huge amounts of torque. 4th gear power is incredible if you want to clown around and the bike will be quite happy cruising at 3000rpm in sixth.
If you are really gentle it will even pull away from 2500rpm on a slight incline in 6th without any dramatics. Alternatively giving it taffy from 80 to 200kpm in 4th is mind blowing but certainly uses the juice.
Play with the ECU and you are most likely going to end up with a lumpy engine around the 3000rpm mark. These engines like back pressure so don't go overboard on the cans and the power you would gain by a 2 into 1 system can be equaled by leaving your jacket at home. Also it's a twin so the noise should be in stereo for maximum sound satisfaction and audience appreciation. I run Yoshi's on my '07 SV and the sound is incredible but no power gain.
Enjoy your bike, once you have an SV you will be very reluctant to change it. I've had mine for 12 years.
Masta' C likes this.

Digging holes in the ground
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 30th August 2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzk321 View Post
Have you thought about a larger rear sprocket? Theoretically that should increase mileage
I've seen this mentioned elsewhere. I think I'll look into it! 90% of my riding is highway right now, so good mileage is priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
My 2005 sv1000 naked that has 115000 km (71500 miles) on the original untouched factory engine consumes 5 litres per 100kms when riding on the highway travelling constantly at 100 kilometres per hour doing 4000 rpm. My bike has dual devil exhaust mufflers, K&N air filter, GIpro ATRE G2 and 18 tooth front, 43 tooth rear sprockets. If I've done my calculations and conversions right, your bike seems to be consuming 1.5 litres (0.400 gallons) per 100km (62 miles) more.
I should clarify that most of my riding has been 70-75 mph (112-121 km/h) at around 5,000 RPM. That's just how fast the freeways move around here

According to gearingcommander.com, your 18/43 gearing is actually very close to the stock gearing ratio (at least on the "S" models like mine).

So, I'm guessing the difference between us comes down to the difference in speed and possibly rider weight (I'm around 230 lbs...104.5kg). My bike is also a California-compliant model, so it has additional emissions equipment that most others do not have. Not sure if that matters?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 31st August 2019, 10:54 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
I remember reading that the greatest factor affecting top speed and fuel efficiency is drag. At 6'4'' I imagine it's difficult to be aerodynamic. Maybe a taller windscreen would help a bit. Just a thought.

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzk321 View Post
I remember reading that the greatest factor affecting top speed and fuel efficiency is drag. At 6'4'' I imagine it's difficult to be aerodynamic. Maybe a taller windscreen would help a bit. Just a thought.
I just picked up a Puig Double-Bubble. Hopefully that's a start. I know there are taller screens out there, but don't know much about them.

I can barely tuck in fully behind the factory screen...that thing's a joke!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 3rd September 2019, 12:29 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
The Puig DB is just big enough to get behind....would make a good racing screen. I went to the Zero Gravity Touring screen which is about 2" higher and find it works better for normal riding. Don't have to put chin to tank to get into still air so busting into a stiff headwind much easier with less crouch needed.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 4th September 2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Hi RecoilRob,

Do you mind if I ask how tall you are? Sounds like we're in a similar boat. This is definitely a commuter/canyon carver, not a race bike, though I do want to keep it "sporty".

I haven't put the Puig on yet, but that was one of my fears...chin to the tank, LOL! I do like the quality of it, though. It's thick and rigid like the stock screen. Does the touring ZG flex much?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 6th September 2019, 03:05 AM
L-Plate Rider

Actually Big Dave, the DL is a de-tuned SV, not the opposite as you've stated.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 6th September 2019, 08:45 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta' C View Post
Hi RecoilRob,

Do you mind if I ask how tall you are? Sounds like we're in a similar boat. This is definitely a commuter/canyon carver, not a race bike, though I do want to keep it "sporty".

I haven't put the Puig on yet, but that was one of my fears...chin to the tank, LOL! I do like the quality of it, though. It's thick and rigid like the stock screen. Does the touring ZG flex much?

I'm a bit over 6'3" (or...WAS, since breaking my back I haven't measured and wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit less now) and monkey-like with long arms and torso and short legs...so the SV1K fits me very nicely.

The ZG Touring isn't as thick as stock or the Puig DB...but it's plenty sturdy and has worked well. The wind shear line is right across the tops of my shoulders (this with 70mm Tarozzi riser clipons at full height) so helmet is in the wind without excessive noise issues but most of my torso well shielded. Bucking a stiff headwind I can duck into the pocket easily and ride long distances if needed like this without strain or drawing undue attention from the PoPo for 'racerlike riding'.

The Puig DB increased the gas mileage a couple and then ZG another couple on my bike....so aerodynamics are much improved...especially over the stock mostly cosmetic screen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in