1Likes
  • 1 Post By Masta' C

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Any Experiences with FlashTune?

Just curious...

Browsing ECU tweaking possibilities, I came across something called a FlashTune for the '05+ SV1K: LINK

Does anyone have experience with these units? Are they something you have to leave on the bike like a Power Commander or just an interface for tuning on a computer, etc?

I searched the entire forum, but couldn't find anyone even mentioning this device, which sort of surprised me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
It appears they have an on-bike (wired access port) and a bench flash option...interesting!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 10:28 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Woolich Racing kit http://www.woolichracing.com/product...-flashing.aspx works very nicely...but is a bit boggling to tune as EVERY parameter is open for your pleasure and there are no safeguards keeping you from going where you shouldn't....besides your experience and perhaps common sense. With a wideband installed you can do about anything you want...though the Auto-tune PC5 might be a better option as it's much easier to tune unless you're really hardcore and want to dig in deep.

Just be aware that there are no major gains in power to be had with the stock engine. Small ones...yes, but big gains need big changes to the motor except for fuel economy where the stock engine can be leaned successfully and improvements can be had. Just remember that the stock ignition timing is pretty mild in the low and midrange which will limit how lean you can go...you need more timing to go really lean. Then up on top the stock ECU is WAY too advanced and also rich...but you can't lean it much without taking out perhaps 10+ degrees of timing which will then allow leaning to a more efficient mixture.

We're about to try my current tune on a basically stock bike. It runs great on mine...but time will tell how the stock engine likes it. (fingers crossed)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
I can source the FlashTune setup for as low as $300 compared to what appears to be $420+ for the Woolich unit? That's quite a difference!

I saw FactoryPro has a send-in ECU flashing service for our bikes, but judging by a quick search, it's also quite overpriced and I can't find anyone who has done it.

I'm not sure I want to spend nearly that kind of cash on an ECU anything, but I can see a benefit to at least smoothing out the fueling/timing a bit for better around town behavior and cruising mpg, even on a mostly stock bike.

By the way, I went ahead and ordered the DanMoto "Jisu" bolt-on cans for $280 shipped. Hopefully my order doesn't get cancelled (I saw feedback from another SV1K owner that had his order cancelled recently).

RecoilRob, that's exciting about the stock bike. Excited to see what you think of the results!

On that note, have you thought about coming up with a solid generic tune specifically for mildly modded bikes (ex: filter + slip-ons) based on your own tuning methods and just selling a simple flashing service to U.S.-based forum members for like $80-$100 a pop?

I'm guessing quite a few of us would be interested in that, rather than having to buy a complete kit and delve into the black abyss of tuning parameters!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 08:17 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Oh....yes I have thought about such things, but put them out of my mind as soon as all of the contingencies are considered. Biggest thing is liability and I'm sure that is much of what you're paying for with the various tuning services.

Just think if I tuned your ECU and you put it in and loved how it ran....but 500 miles later it holed a piston. You would not be happy methinks even if you'd signed a waiver of no liability and offroad use only. Here in PA you cannot sign away your right to sue, so doing tuning for hire would necessitate insurance and I'm sure that's not cheap.

There are SO many variables involved here that trying to tune via remote control would be chancy. Especially with an E-33 that leans itself during cruise more than a 49 State bike...and if mine was a representative example this leaning wasn't really consistent and had me wondering what the heck it was doing and why?

The cans won't hurt the fueling enough to bother....just don't modify the airbox including the snorkel. You could add a K&N without issue and would probably like how it runs from my experiments.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th September 2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Good to know!

And totally understandable about flashing others' bikes. Shame that there isn't a well known and proven flashing service (like Ivan's for Kawasaki, for example) for the SV1K

Question...is there any sense in trying to do away with the evap system since I'm not in Cali anymore?

Also, am I understanding correctly that there's a difference between the CA ECU and the ECU in 49-state versions? Can the CA still be flashed? I'm assuming it's just the factory mapping that changed and not necessarily the hardware inside...any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks as always!
07blacksv1ks likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th September 2019, 07:04 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
If you do away with the evap system you must do more than just remove the can and plug the hoses. The fuel cap is not vented on the E-33 so you need to source the 49 State version or change over to an aftermarket cap. There have been people who removed the guts from the E-33 cap but this defeats the rollover protection built in so if the bike should fall over fuel will spill out. The 49 State cap won't spill badly if laid on the side but will still allow air to vent in when needed.

The CA ECU is the same mechanically as the 49 State and Euro versions so all can be flashed....only the particulars of their tunes are different and to be honest I've looked at several and it's difficult to tell just what is different about them. They do change timing and fueling here and there as well as STV activation so it looks like they're tuned to pass whatever emissions test they might be facing wherever they're sold. I have both E-33 and 49 State ECU's and swap them when tuning being that I don't have a laptop and use the bench tuning setup that needs to have the ECU removed....so I tune one then swap it out for test runs...repeat as needed.

You might give the new cans a good try before thinking too hard about doing more mods....hopefully they'll come with baffles so you can try both corked and open configurations and see how it behaves. Most seem to like the aftermarket cans with some baffling with them open it'll be softer down low and mileage might suffer. They DO sound glorious though! I was surprised at how loud the bike was with stock cans...especially at idle, nice rumble but then it like got totally silent when on the move. The Yoshi 3/4 with TRS can (and cut insert) is nice sounding but I can't hear it above about 30 mph due to wind and while cruising it's actually very civilized and quiet. Remember that sound is energy and the more you make...the more you've wasted of that precious little BTU allotment in each gallon. When on the gas some amount of sound must come out, but cruising with lean mixture and lots of timing it's very, very quiet. Stealth mode!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th September 2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
I'm definitely sticking with the cans only for now. I got a delivery notification that they will be here TODAY, so I'm very excited!

I thought they came with baffles, but I just checked the website and apparently those are sold separately.

I want to enhance the rumble, but I'm definitely not in this for the "loud" factor. Hopefully they're just right...

The ECU thing isn't a necessity at this point, just piques my curiosity. I hate feeling like there's "more" under the hood of this thing (power & economy) that I can't access simply because the mfr neutered it for emissions compliance. I'll also take an ECU flash over a piggyback system any day
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th September 2019, 10:56 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta' C View Post

I hate feeling like there's "more" under the hood of this thing (power & economy) that I can't access simply because the mfr neutered it for emissions compliance. I'll also take an ECU flash over a piggyback system any day
The SV motor is a much enhanced TL (stronger rods, better heads despite the smaller valves) that was then neutered to make it comply with emissions and be more 'friendly'. It can be tweaked (both by ECU and traditional hot-rodding techniques) to make equal top end power with the TL and more midrange along with better fuel economy. The horsies are all milling around in the corral just waiting for you to let them loose.

But....even though most of the modifications are considered 'simple' in the Big Scheme of Horsepower Making....you'll still spend a small bundle making the changes to extract what's lurking inside. Pistons, milling of jugs, adjustable cam gears and degreeing them in, STV modifications along with exhaust and you can easily drop $2000 before you're done.....though the results are VERY encouraging unless you can do most of the work yourself it's going to be even more expensive.

Even more can be had with bigger valves, higher compression with more aggressive cams and a raised redline but that's even more expensive. There are stroker kits available as well as Big Bore but now you're REALLY talking about money...Cubic Dollars. If money is no object and you want a really fast SV....our member Schmidt314 is the man to talk to...he knows these things better than anyone I know and can hook you up.

The 'low hanging fruit' on the SV is the exhaust tweaking and ignition timing bump which will improve street manners and torque along with economy. Going beyond that gets you into the old saying 'how fast do you want to spend'?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th September 2019, 11:54 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
The SV motor is a much enhanced TL (stronger rods, better heads despite the smaller valves) that was then neutered to make it comply with emissions and be more 'friendly'. It can be tweaked (both by ECU and traditional hot-rodding techniques) to make equal top end power with the TL and more midrange along with better fuel economy. The horsies are all milling around in the corral just waiting for you to let them loose.

But....even though most of the modifications are considered 'simple' in the Big Scheme of Horsepower Making....you'll still spend a small bundle making the changes to extract what's lurking inside. Pistons, milling of jugs, adjustable cam gears and degreeing them in, STV modifications along with exhaust and you can easily drop $2000 before you're done.....though the results are VERY encouraging unless you can do most of the work yourself it's going to be even more expensive.

Even more can be had with bigger valves, higher compression with more aggressive cams and a raised redline but that's even more expensive. There are stroker kits available as well as Big Bore but now you're REALLY talking about money...Cubic Dollars. If money is no object and you want a really fast SV....our member Schmidt314 is the man to talk to...he knows these things better than anyone I know and can hook you up.

The 'low hanging fruit' on the SV is the exhaust tweaking and ignition timing bump which will improve street manners and torque along with economy. Going beyond that gets you into the old saying 'how fast do you want to spend'?

There are over the counter flashing services for many bikes that work very well. You just have to find someone that has done enough of your particular bike to understand how to get a really good set of data to write.

2 Wheel Dyno Works does lots of mail in flash work and direct write work and has great customer service and Nels and team there are awesome. I am not sure if he has a mail in service for an SV1000, but it might be worth contacting them.

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th September 2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
You guys are friggin' fantastic! I really appreciate both of you chiming in. In my short time here, I can tell both of you really have your hearts in this stuff and I appreciate that!

So, got the Danmoto cans this afternoon. They look great...from a foot or two away, LOL! In line with expectations of a "budget" option, I suppose. They'll do the deed, though, and the styling really is tough to beat for what I'm after.

I also ordered a set of block off plates for the PAIR system and a check valve to add to the breather tube (RecoilRob, will this be a fairly easy/obvious mod once I'm under the tank?)

Just to clarify...do you think I SHOULD get the timing advance for my Cali model in terms of bang-for-the-buck? And, if so, would I then remove it *if* I were to flash the ECU for some reason later on (it sounds like ECU mods can also alter timing)?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in