valve adjustment - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By schmidt314

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th September 2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

valve adjustment

hello Sv riders,

my 2007 SV 1000 s has now done almost 57000 kms without the valves being checked, what if any damage can occur if i dont have the valves done? It costs a fortune here in South Africa to have this done.
i have noticed a slight hesitation in the mornings now when i start the bike up (same battery since 2007!) we have just come out of a cold winter so maybe it could mean a new battery?

any input will be welcome

regards
Shamless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th September 2019, 04:14 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamless View Post
hello Sv riders,

my 2007 SV 1000 s has now done almost 57000 kms without the valves being checked, what if any damage can occur if i dont have the valves done? It costs a fortune here in South Africa to have this done.

i have noticed a slight hesitation in the mornings now when i start the bike up (same battery since 2007!) we have just come out of a cold winter so maybe it could mean a new battery?

any input will be welcome

regards

Shamless

If the valves run tight you can burn the valves and seats up making it a far more expensive repair. I repaired one bike where the owner had said the interwebs said no need to check adjust valves on schedule...

It burned an exhaust valve and cracked the head from the valve pocket to the spark plug threads. We had to source a used head.

Please check your valves on the recommendation from Suzuki at every 15k miles.

-ms
07blacksv1ks likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th September 2019, 06:07 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
I recommend getting hold of the service manual and diving into adjusting the valves yourself.

An entire new box of shims can be found on eBay for cheap and is well worth having since you won't have to hunt around for a dealer with a specific size shim. Here is one for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hot-Cam...0AAOSwnIVdGwsy

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th September 2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

Thank you for the feedback, i will have the Valve check done soonest!

regards
Shamless
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 07:38 AM
Moped rider

♂ South Africa
Randburg
You can try the Suzuki place in Strydompark to get the fork oil changed, they did mine and didn't charge an arm or a leg.

Beware.. When your battery finally gives out it will be sudden and it may happen in the middle of a ride leaving you stranded.
Put your hand down and change it now while you still have the chance.

Digging holes in the ground
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

great thanks for the info Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd October 2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

Here is feedback on my 2007 SV 1000 S, i took my bike to Peter Herbert motorcycles in Randburg who did the vale check and thankfully after 57000 kms the valves are still all within spec and that no adjustments were necessary!! he also did a fork service, never been done either in all the kilometers i have done on the bike.

Cant wait for the week-end to go riding!

regards
Shamless
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 06:25 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamless View Post
... 57000 kms the valves are still all within spec and that no adjustments were necessary!! he also did a fork service, never been done either in all the kilometers i have done on the bike.
I find this to be truly amazing and frankly hard to believe. Forgive my skepticism but, wow!

RealShelby / Werks clutch basket mod. It works great!
Flush mount LED indicators.
Dave Moss suspension tuning.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th October 2019, 12:56 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07blacksv1ks View Post
I find this to be truly amazing and frankly hard to believe.......!
My SV has never needed the valves adjusted either. Similar mileage. I'm the original owner and have had 2 different mechanics check the valves at different intervals. I'm beginning to wonder if they'll ever go out of spec.

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th October 2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

This i could also not believe, i use a well known mechanic who is reputable.He asked me how i ride the bike, i told him that i only go past 8000 rm a handful of times and that i dont ride the tits of the machine!
our bikes max torque comes in at 7200 rpm , i find that i dont need to push much more after that.I have also only used Motul semi synthetic 10w40 i dont know if that makes much difference.I still have the same battery since 2007 !

regards
Shamless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in