Glad I Checked! Low-Mileage Magnet Issue - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th September 2019, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Glad I Checked! Low-Mileage Magnet Issue

Just got around to the 600-mile service (more like 800, ha ha!) on my time capsule of an '06. At the recommendation of a few forum regulars, I decided to pull the stator cover and add a little JB-Weld to the magnets as a preventative measure while I was changing the oil.

Well, I'm glad I did! One magnet had already migrated and I could tell the factory epoxy was getting orange and rather brittle throughout. This bike hasn't seen any real world use in its lifetime until the past month, so the degradation was clearly age related, not so much heat.

Tried to do the JB-Weld thing, but that was a mess. I did use it successfully to reseat the single displaced magnet, but there was no way I could get it to flow in between the magnets because the JB-Weld just migrated out of the channels due to the pull of the magnets, even when I let it set up for a while first. As a last resort, I ended up buying and trying QuikSteel putty, which claims a similar chemical resistance to JB-Weld and has a higher strength and temp rating than JB-Weld's similar steel bonding putty. We'll see how it holds up! It molded to the channels nicely, so I think it will be fine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190928_142912_resized.jpg (199.5 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th September 2019, 12:50 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
You would have needed to set up some barriers/fences (plastic) front and rear for the JB to fill the gap, and you
would need to do one at a time, with the fill point at the lowest position, let it go firm, and then turn the crank
till the next one was at the bottom.....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 290,000kms and counting...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th September 2019, 01:27 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
I used JB Weld epoxy (the two part mix) and as you said, it migrated a lot between the magnets. But I didn't let that stop me. I just put a crap ton of it on the flywheel, let it harden for a day, then rotated the engine to do the other half of the flywheel. Then I used a Dremel with a sanding attachment to grind off a lot of the JB weld to expose my magnet surfaces and made channels between them. Before and after pics in this post. You'll probably be okay with the route you went though. The next time you change the oil, you could pop off the case cover just to double check it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th September 2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Wow, considering the mess you started with, yours cleaned up nicely! Good coverage, too...I think yours would survive a nuclear blast direct to the engine cases!

The putty was actually really nice to work with. I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen it used or recommended more often. Regular JB Weld was great for reseating the magnet, but for filling the channels, I really don't think the putty can be beat! Turns a day long process into a 20-minute job. That said, I haven't seen anyone using the QuickSteel product, so I may be a bit of a guinea pig.

I have attached a pic showing the "putty job" prior to final cleaning, which I also did with a dremel. Fast and easy, looks great in the end and cures quickly.

With the magnets effectively glued to each other, there's simply no way they can migrate or pull inward toward the stator, but I'll definitely check everything at my next oil change. I gave each magnet a tug to check their adhesion, but didn't intentionally try to remove them.

Interestingly, my hub didn't have any (drain?) holes in it as I've seen on your bike and others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190929_092626_resized.jpg (214.1 KB, 15 views)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th September 2019, 04:26 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta' C View Post
....Interestingly, my hub didn't have any (drain?) holes in it as I've seen on your bike and others.

I think only 2006 and 2007 SV1000s had the holes in the flywheel. My 2006 didn't have them either. https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/1852321699-post38.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st October 2019, 03:52 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
So that pic is of the Quick Steel putty ?

Looks slick...

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st October 2019, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
So that pic is of the Quick Steel putty ?

Looks slick...
Yes it is! Looked even better after a couple quick passes with a dremel and a sanding bit.

The putty is seriously easy to mold in place, just have to be fairly quick about it. I found the 5-minute working time was fine.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st October 2019, 11:34 AM
Vendor

♂ United States
Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta' C View Post

Interestingly, my hub didn't have any (drain?) holes in it as I've seen on your bike and others.
Not sure exactly when Suzuki made the change, but the oil holes were eliminated in both SV and DL 1000 rotors. Sometime around 2005 seems to fit. All replacement rotors have no holes.

Fix Idle Hammer noise
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
As an aside to this, well not completely aside....

Who, where , how, apart from Factory Pro, can a 4 degree advance key be got ?
And, why does the later flywheel/rotor cost so damn much ? Tried finding a second hand one, but....arrgghh

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
As an aside to this, well not completely aside....

Who, where , how, apart from Factory Pro, can a 4 degree advance key be got ?

And, why does the later flywheel/rotor cost so damn much ? Tried finding a second hand one, but....arrgghh

Early and late rotors are the same cost.
-ms

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 06:29 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Wasn't really pointing at the later one being more exxy, just that it is exxy..... HA HA...

Any clues on the 4 degree key anyone ?

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in