SV1000s out of center - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By stanny

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

SV1000s out of center

Hi,

My recently bought second hand bike has something I don't like... My autistic is showing up and I want to fix it.

The right footrest assembly on the rear is more to the inside as the left one. Probably coming from a little tip-over...
This results in pipes that are not centered and specially the footrest itself not being centered.
However, looking online to some pictures, I found many bikes with exactly the same… So is it OEM that the footrests are not centered?
If not I need to fix this.

I tried bending the assembly, but that is just not possible... at least not with my tools...
I tried to bend the chassisplate that holds the footrest to the outside, but no movement…

If it should be centered I probably will end up buying a new tail end chassis part and new footrest.

Could you guys tell me your footrest are centered or not?
In attach my blue bike, and another one I found on the net. Both seems to have the same issue...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5260.jpg (536.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5261.JPG (192.7 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 07:17 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Elk Grove, CA
Symmetry and OCD - It’s a good thing!

Just looked at my exhaust can hangers. They appear to be cast aluminum which doesn’t take well to bending, in my experience. Wonder if the subframe (the square tube the hanger hangers from) is bent or twisted? Perhaps you could remove both of them and compare. Maybe you’ll be able to put them in a vise, add some heat and GENTLY bend them back to symmetry.

Best of luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1368283F-4EDB-440B-BB6D-D0035F55DC11.jpg (402.0 KB, 11 views)

RealShelby / Werks clutch basket mod. It works great!
Flush mount LED indicators.
Dave Moss suspension tuning.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

I tried bending in a vise... not possible... you are correct when you say the problem could come from the seat frame tube...
problem is that now I know this ‘error’ it has to fixed, just can’t Leave it that way 🙂

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th October 2019, 02:23 AM
Moped rider

♂ United States
Enterprise, Al, USA
The left side has drive chain, right does not. It is the way that it is.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th October 2019, 06:48 AM
Highway Biker

♂ New Zealand
Auckland,New Zealand
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanny View Post
Hi,

My recently bought second hand bike has something I don't like... My autistic is showing up and I want to fix it.

The right footrest assembly on the rear is more to the inside as the left one. Probably coming from a little tip-over...
This results in pipes that are not centered and specially the footrest itself not being centered.
However, looking online to some pictures, I found many bikes with exactly the same… So is it OEM that the footrests are not centered?
If not I need to fix this.

I tried bending the assembly, but that is just not possible... at least not with my tools...
I tried to bend the chassisplate that holds the footrest to the outside, but no movement…

If it should be centered I probably will end up buying a new tail end chassis part and new footrest.

Could you guys tell me your footrest are centered or not?
In attach my blue bike, and another one I found on the net. Both seems to have the same issue...
My bike looked the same.
The footrest hangers are not the same shape because the chain and chain guard that has to fit there.
On the other side is no obstacle so the factory placed the hanger closer to the frame and this makes the mufflers to stay one closer than the other to the swingarm.
Never bothered me...i had original mufflers and after a while Yoshis and both sets were like that.

Flush front indicators,mini rear indicators with polished aluminium mounting plates,electronic flasher relay,frame sliders,TRE,Home made radar detector support,white led strips under headlight,black anodized aluminium radiator grille,pack rack
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 8th October 2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Hi Guys, Thank you for some reactions I can finally work with... so it seems the bike is designed like that, all good for me... I will continue my life with an asymmetric bike 🙂 🙂 🙂
twag4 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 9th October 2019, 12:39 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I think in the post 03 bikes, this was more obvious, or accentuated, as the subframe was lower on the bike, and the
cans sat differently as well compared to the 2003 bikes..

Never really was something i noticed too much on my copper chopper.... (not copper now though)

One owner..... 295,000kms and counting... 5k to go....

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in