3Likes
  • 1 Post By Missing Link
  • 1 Post By wickedcookie
  • 1 Post By wickedcookie

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 9th December 2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Hello all!! Question on interchangeability of 1k/S rear fender

Good day to all! I've been lurking for months and learning as much as I can, but this is my first post.

I'm in the process of 'stock'-ing an 03 sv1000 that I bought last month salvaged and am getting ready to take in for inspection to get it back on the road early next month. It fell over on its right side at a stop and was totaled by the PO's insurance company despite minimal damage to the tail plastic, muffler (yoshi 2 into 1) and a scrape on the case. It runs really nicely, it has a PC3 installed and I believe the PO must have put some effort into relaxed driveability, it is remarkably smooth to me with minimal throttle snatch in low rpm, easy cruising and low speed cornering.

I have the stock exhaust system, still assembled, and I'll probably swap it on a week or so before the inspection and remove the PC3. The only decision remaining to me is regarding the license plate light - the PO installed a tail-tidy kit that included mounts for the signals, but no plate light. While the CHP inspection isn't specifically aimed at lights and such, there is still the possibility it will be an issue, so I plan to add a plate light.

There are of course several universal plate light kits, or the option of simply replacing the installed tail-tidy with one that includes a plate light, however on ebay at the moment is an 03 sv650s rear fender, complete with lights and intact connectors. From what I can see, the 650s and 1ks used the same rear fender (by comparing part numbers), and the naked 650 and 1k used the same fender, but a different part number from the 's' fender.

My question, for those who might know, is this: do the naked and 's' rear fenders interchange? Or will i run into an issue with fitment or bolt pattern or end up having to splice wires anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer, and a big thanks to all who have contributed to this site over the years! So much information, I've been soaking it up as much as I can for the last 3 months and still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th December 2019, 01:06 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedcookie View Post
Good day to all! I've been lurking for months and learning as much as I can, but this is my first post.

I'm in the process of 'stock'-ing an 03 sv1000 that I bought last month salvaged and am getting ready to take in for inspection to get it back on the road early next month. It fell over on its right side at a stop and was totaled by the PO's insurance company despite minimal damage to the tail plastic, muffler (yoshi 2 into 1) and a scrape on the case. It runs really nicely, it has a PC3 installed and I believe the PO must have put some effort into relaxed driveability, it is remarkably smooth to me with minimal throttle snatch in low rpm, easy cruising and low speed cornering.

I have the stock exhaust system, still assembled, and I'll probably swap it on a week or so before the inspection and remove the PC3. The only decision remaining to me is regarding the license plate light - the PO installed a tail-tidy kit that included mounts for the signals, but no plate light. While the CHP inspection isn't specifically aimed at lights and such, there is still the possibility it will be an issue, so I plan to add a plate light.

There are of course several universal plate light kits, or the option of simply replacing the installed tail-tidy with one that includes a plate light, however on ebay at the moment is an 03 sv650s rear fender, complete with lights and intact connectors. From what I can see, the 650s and 1ks used the same rear fender (by comparing part numbers), and the naked 650 and 1k used the same fender, but a different part number from the 's' fender.

My question, for those who might know, is this: do the naked and 's' rear fenders interchange? Or will i run into an issue with fitment or bolt pattern or end up having to splice wires anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer, and a big thanks to all who have contributed to this site over the years! So much information, I've been soaking it up as much as I can for the last 3 months and still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Thanks guys!!

They should interchange. The difference is in the location of how/where the fuse block mounts in the tail.
I have a pile of both in the garage, I can check later if I remember.
The 03 fender was actually a bit different shaped, wider more snow shovel like.
-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th December 2019, 03:05 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Yeah the 650 one should fit....the later ones are different for sure...

One owner..... 295,000kms and counting... 5k to go....

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th December 2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
They should interchange. The difference is in the location of how/where the fuse block mounts in the tail.
I have a pile of both in the garage, I can check later if I remember.
The 03 fender was actually a bit different shaped, wider more snow shovel like.
-ms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Yeah the 650 one should fit....the later ones are different for sure...
Thanks guys, everything I've found supports the same answer, just haven't seen anything yet that tells me for sure, so I very much appreciate it.

Cheers!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th December 2019, 06:56 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
A hacksaw, a hot-glue gun and duct tape..... its gonna fit perfectly mate.....you just wait and see...
Masta' C likes this.

One owner..... 295,000kms and counting... 5k to go....

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th December 2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
A hacksaw, a hot-glue gun and duct tape..... its gonna fit perfectly mate.....you just wait and see...
Aw snap, are those your 3 most-used tools too?!?
Missing Link likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th December 2019, 05:41 PM
Moped rider

♂ United States
Ha ha ha! The ultimate biker's toolkit
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th December 2019, 03:20 PM
Moped rider

♂ United States
Enterprise, Al, USA
Wicked cookie, I have two rear fenders. Id give you one if you pay shipping. They are from 2004 S models, a 650 and a 1000, which should be the same as a 2003 naked. Both are identical. Only the 2003 S model was different, but do not know how that affected the rear fender. PM if you are interested, Im in SE Alabama, USA.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th December 2019, 07:36 PM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
The K3 "S" rear fenders are different. All others are the same.
You basically have to go by which subframe it has.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th December 2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Wicked cookie, I have two rear fenders. Id give you one if you pay shipping. They are from 2004 S models, a 650 and a 1000, which should be the same as a 2003 naked. Both are identical. Only the 2003 S model was different, but do not know how that affected the rear fender. PM if you are interested, Im in SE Alabama, USA.
Oh man, I really appreciate the offer. I think I don't have enough posts to send PMs yet, but my question is, are the two you have stripped (i.e., signals, plate light, wiring removed)? The one I'm looking at on ebay (the 03 sv650S fender) should be the same bolt pattern, so there is still a chance it might not, but the big draw for me is that everything is attached - signals and plate light - making it easy because it should be a bolt-up and plug 'n play install (assuming, of course, that the bolt patterns are indeed a match), and it includes the plate light, which I don't have at all currently.

If either of the fenders you have still have the signals, plate light, and wiring with connectors intact, I would be more than happy to pay you for shipping and for the fender itself, as it would be saving me a good amount of time and effort. If yours are stripped though, I'll go with the ebay fender, but either way I really appreciate the offer and the generosity!
twag4 likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th December 2019, 04:48 AM
Moped rider

♂ United States
Enterprise, Al, USA
Im not sure of what is or isnt installed. Id have to look. I dont want to get rid of signals though. l License plate light, Id let that go with it. I wont be back home until Monday night, so Id be able to check on Tuesday, if you can wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedcookie View Post
Oh man, I really appreciate the offer. I think I don't have enough posts to send PMs yet, but my question is, are the two you have stripped (i.e., signals, plate light, wiring removed)? The one I'm looking at on ebay (the 03 sv650S fender) should be the same bolt pattern, so there is still a chance it might not, but the big draw for me is that everything is attached - signals and plate light - making it easy because it should be a bolt-up and plug 'n play install (assuming, of course, that the bolt patterns are indeed a match), and it includes the plate light, which I don't have at all currently.

If either of the fenders you have still have the signals, plate light, and wiring with connectors intact, I would be more than happy to pay you for shipping and for the fender itself, as it would be saving me a good amount of time and effort. If yours are stripped though, I'll go with the ebay fender, but either way I really appreciate the offer and the generosity!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in