Superhawk vs Suzuki SV for tall riders? - SV1000 Portal
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Masta' C
  • 1 Post By dwfree

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 4th January 2020, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Superhawk vs Suzuki SV for tall riders?

Greetings ladies & gentlemen. I am new to this forum, but I'm looking for opinions/experience about the Firehawk (or Superhawk as they say overseas).

I am a rather tall person 1m92cm (or 6ft3) and I ride a Suzuki SV650S 2004. It's a great bike, easy to maintain, rides smoothly, ... Also: keep in mind that I am a novice rider, and far from a pro/competitive rider.
The only downside is that it feels like this motorcycle is too small for me. It sometimes feels kinda uncomfortable to manouver with it. What I am wondering is: how does the VTR1000F compares to that? I am not talking about power, because the superhawk will rape the 650s with regards of power, and I will probably never even use it's powerband to its full capacity, but what about riding position and handling for taller riders?

Kind regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th January 2020, 06:23 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ New Zealand
Auckland,New Zealand
Garage
I am a former SV1000S owner and a friend of mine owned a VTR1000.
I have tried them both.
The SV is a lot better(suspension,frame,less vibration in the handlebars...)too many to mention.
The SV feels more powerful too,quicker throttle response.
The SV is fuel injected,the VTR i tried was the last carbureted version(1999 edition)
Also you can source a footpeg lowering kit,or adjustable rear sets to get your riding position to your liking.
Try searching the forum for these.
There is the handlebar conversion too.
I found some threads on the forum about these too.
I am no expert in these bikes,others,more experienced probably will reply with some info.
Hope this helps

Flush front indicators,mini rear indicators with polished aluminium mounting plates,electronic flasher relay,frame sliders,TRE,Home made radar detector support,white led strips under headlight,black anodized aluminium radiator grille,pack rack
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th January 2020, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatanik View Post
I am a former SV1000S owner and a friend of mine owned a VTR1000.
I have tried them both.
The SV is a lot better(suspension,frame,less vibration in the handlebars...)too many to mention.
The SV feels more powerful too,quicker throttle response.
The SV is fuel injected,the VTR i tried was the last carbureted version(1999 edition)
Also you can source a footpeg lowering kit,or adjustable rear sets to get your riding position to your liking.
Try searching the forum for these.
There is the handlebar conversion too.
I found some threads on the forum about these too.
I am no expert in these bikes,others,more experienced probably will reply with some info.
Hope this helps
Hi. I've seen that same post before when I was googling it. But I was kinda specific about the riding comfort as a tall rider. But that footpeg lowering kit is something I might look for. Thanks for your reply

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 6th January 2020, 01:26 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I had a VTR befor emy 2003 S model, and the VTR is a little more wristy, but from memory, it was a little shorter reach to the bars..... Overall there isn't a lot of difference...... Its largely about lever set-up....you get that right and it is a lot easier....

One owner..... 303,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 6th January 2020, 06:23 AM
Weekend cruiser

♂ United States
I'm just shy of 6'4" tall.

The Superhawk is narrow and tall, but surprisingly similar to the SV in overall feel. I owned 2 VTR's a few years apart and did nearly 100K miles between the pair. Of all the bikes I've owned, the SV reminds me of the Superhawk the most.

Fuel economy on the VTRs was horrendous and a tank only lasted around 110 miles (in the U.S...some other countries got a slightly larger tank in later years). Power delivery benefited from exhaust and a few fueling tweaks which hurt fuel economy even more, but made the VTR much more enjoyable.

It's also worth noting that the VTR's minimalist frame design yielded a subtle degree of frame flex, which was fine in town, but I found to be less than confidence inspiring when riding hard in the twisties or on the track. I much prefer the SV's chassis from a performance standpoint.

Riding comfort between the 2 is about the same, though I found the SV in stock form to be a little more cramped in the legs than the Superhawk. That said, I think it's a better bargain to order an aftermarket Sargent seat with an extra 1" height (custom order) for leg relief and enjoy the many other advancements the SV offers, including fuel injection.
slatanik likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 6th January 2020, 06:25 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ New Zealand
Auckland,New Zealand
Garage
I found these on fleabay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Rearset...UAAOSwyVRdU44l

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Rears...cAAOSw6Pxb~fpl

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Rider-4...AAAOSwKCheETu4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-Rider...cAAOSwg8hd3GkB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-CNC-Foot...IAAOSw65FXstyh

Flush front indicators,mini rear indicators with polished aluminium mounting plates,electronic flasher relay,frame sliders,TRE,Home made radar detector support,white led strips under headlight,black anodized aluminium radiator grille,pack rack
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 6th January 2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Many thanks for your input, guys!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 6th January 2020, 12:53 PM
L-Plate Rider

Do not, I repeat, do not purchase one of those rear sets for 69 dollars.... I did that and they were absolute trash, and I ended up paying the 400 for the vortex set because of how awful those Cnc ones are.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 01:23 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
I have an '03 SV1000, had an '06 SV650 for my son, and rode a late 90's VTR. The SV1000 and 650 stock ergos are pretty a copy, and the VTR is very close. I put tube bars on my 1k and added about 1-1/2" or more foam to the seat. More sport touring ergos now and can ride it all day.

I would recommend the SV1000 over the VTR mainly due to the fuel injection - I dont think there was an injected version of the VTR. In stock form the VTR handled better than the SV, but at 250# I overwhelmed the suspension on both. My SV wears custom suspension and handles great.
Masta' C likes this.

dwfree / 2003 SV1000 / 1997 Bandit 1200 / 2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th January 2020, 03:04 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Akron Ohio
Hello , my take on your concern regarding being too tall for the 650 . You like all us begin somewhere but there is much to learn . The 650's superior agility is a plus over your larger considerations . I have owned a 2001 650s that magnified my abilities and forgave my ignorance . My 2003 1000s does just what I was willing to pay for . The ability to change money into music , just like a jukebox . The 1000s was my ride for a few track days at Mid-Ohio where better ridden 650s showed me the way around . The bike you have now is the best for any new rider and those experienced to explore it's limits as well . Sportbikes fold us up to some degree to be in control , adapt the 650 to your comfort and enjoy. I just thought my experience at 5 ft. 11 ,230 might help you choose , good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in