3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th January 2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Afghanistan
Greece
Garage
Sv1000s k3 - Not cranking

Hello all, need your collective experience with an issue.

My SV1000 k3 has been sitting in the garage for more years then I like to admit but I recently decided to make it road worthy again.
Cleaned, de-rusted and resealed the fuel tank (POR15) and also dissembled and cleaned the pump assembly and changed the the fuel filter. Engine oil and coolant was also changed. While the fuel tank was off the bike I connected a battery to check for FI codes in dealer mode and no error was showing.

After putting all together again and with a new (although cheap) battery I tried to fire her up. Turning the key lights up the instrument, no FI warning, flipping the kill switch and STV are activating, starter relay / solenoid is clicking. So everything seems to be OK. Pushing the starter button the engine cranks but doesn't fire up (expected), I try again a few more times and naturally the battery begins to die. So I take it out put it on a charger and tend to other things (nothing engine or electrical related).

After putting the battery in again this is the situation :
Turning the key, FI light is on, check engine light is on and CHECK is displayed in the screen. Rev counter goes up to 7000 and down again. Flipping the switch and only the starter relay/solenoid is clicking. No SVT activating, no fuel pump priming (not sure I should / would hear it though ?) and pushing the starter button does nothing.
Tried to put it into dealer mode, but the display is unchanged ie no FI code is displayed instead it still shows CHECK.

I have checked the fuses (none seems blown), battery has charge, all connectors are connected (green connector was sorted by previous owner). I took apart the starter switch, cleaned it and put it back together but no change. Since the bike is on a paddock stand and the side stand is closed it is not the side stand switch I believe.

I assume the issue is electrical in nature going by the symptoms above. Maybe tip over sensor? Also, since I cannot hear the pump priming I suspect it is dead but would it prevent the engine from turning over? And why wont it go into dealer mode ?

Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th January 2020, 06:41 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
I think you need to get a battery in it. Have it load tested and it will likely fail.

If the CHECK is shown, it is typically interlock related. Neutral, side stand, and right hand handle bar switch.

-ma

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th January 2020, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Afghanistan
Greece
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
I think you need to get a battery in it. Have it load tested and it will likely fail.

If the CHECK is shown, it is typically interlock related. Neutral, side stand, and right hand handle bar switch.

-ma
i bought a new battery just this afternoon, did not install it yet though...

Right handle bar switch has been cleaned inspected and re -installed.

By " Neutral" I assume you mean the gear positioning sensor ?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th January 2020, 02:26 PM
L-Plate Rider

no he probably meant making sure that you have clicked the pedal into the neutral position, as when it says check, it can only be relative to those conditions.

i digress that there may be a condition in the manual i didn't notice that would also display the check notification, but I have only experienced that when I didn't realize i'd not taken it out of gear.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th January 2020, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Afghanistan
Greece
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ke View Post
no he probably meant making sure that you have clicked the pedal into the neutral position, as when it says check, it can only be relative to those conditions.

i digress that there may be a condition in the manual i didn't notice that would also display the check notification, but I have only experienced that when I didn't realize i'd not taken it out of gear.

yeah I understood what he meant a sec after replying..... stupid me.....

no bike is in neutral for sure...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th January 2020, 07:01 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Are you still having the same problem after installing the new battery?

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
and
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11th January 2020, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Afghanistan
Greece
Garage
Ok I AM STUPID and worthy of mockery....

It was the kill switch....by way infinite wisdom I apparently installed it backwards/reversed and it wasn't closing the circuit to power the starter........

it is cranking now...
oldbaldsob likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11th January 2020, 02:41 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimisdiv400 View Post
Ok I AM STUPID and worthy of mockery....

It was the kill switch....by way infinite wisdom I apparently installed it backwards/reversed and it wasn't closing the circuit to power the starter........

it is cranking now...

I salute you for admitting this!

Actually, that is a brilliant way to prevent thieves from stealing your bike!
Longhair likes this.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
and
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11th January 2020, 06:09 PM
L-Plate Rider

anyone who has turned a wrench on their own equipment can attest to similar.... there is definitely a humility in sharing our ignorance.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11th January 2020, 07:07 PM
L-Plate Rider

anyone who has turned a wrench on their own equipment can attest to similar.... there is definitely a humility in sharing our ignorance.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11th January 2020, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Afghanistan
Greece
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ke View Post
I had several feelings when I found the... mistake. humility was not among them....

I bit more attention to I was doing in the first place, would have saved me from buying a new battery....

and there still the issue of the fuel pump not working...I connected a hose to the fuel delivery line and during cranking not fuel was pumped out ... have not checked the relay yet

of course given my track record I might not have put fuel in the tank ( not really, there are a couple of liters in there )
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th January 2020, 09:53 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Are you getting an error code for it?

Actually, have you got a mode switch for the bike ? If not, you need to knock one up, or buy one...

One owner..... 300,000kms and counting... yes, that much..........

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Afghanistan
Greece
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Are you getting an error code for it?

Actually, have you got a mode switch for the bike ? If not, you need to knock one up, or buy one...
No error code at all.
After fixing the the kill switch, I checked the pump relay as per the manual and it looks fine and there is voltage at the fuel connector.
So I assume that the actual pump is dead or due to being submerged, in whatever toxic soup gasoline turns into after being left in the tank for few years, it is full of gunk to the point of being fused shut.

I have since taken delivery of a new pump (cheap non-branded from ebay, externally identical to the OEM) and will install it this weekend hopefully.

Also I dont have a mode switch but I am content putting it in dealer mode with a bit of wire for the time being.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 24th January 2020, 12:06 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
ahh.... that gunked up hey....

I wonder if putting it in an ultra-sonic bath with carby clean for 30 minds might liberate it ?

Be good as spare maybe....

One owner..... 300,000kms and counting... yes, that much..........

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 28th January 2020, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Afghanistan
Greece
Garage
Huston, we are go for launch !!! well sort of..

Installed the new fuel pump today, removed and cleaned the injectors, new spark plugs for good measure and she fired up IMMEDIATELY (scared the s..t out me since I wasn't expecting it...). After almost 10 years gathering dust, she rumbles again !!!
It would not hold idle when cold but once warmed up, it is steady albeit a bit high. No leaks (so far), no exhaust smoke.
Engine sounds like it needs valve adjustment (was overdue already when I last rode it anyway), brakes and fork need a overhaul and of course tires,chain and sprockets as well.
Still much to do but just starting the bike after so looong made me feel so goood!!! Never knew how much I missed hearing that V2....

Needed that win today to be honest....
slatanik likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in