07n forks - SV1000 Portal
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 14th February 2020, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Question 07n forks

Hi,have just fitted race tech 90 springs wiht 5 fork oil at 130mmair gap and an 80mm spacer and p/load on#7 my problem is to get anywere a decent feel both adjusters are only 1/4 to 1/2 open.Should i add more oil or mayby go onto #10 weight oil? Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 14th February 2020, 12:59 PM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
DO NOT go to heavier viscosity oil.
As long as you get the correct sag numbers, and you're able to obtain "the right feel", then you're fine.
Eric Beale likes this.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 15th February 2020, 01:27 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Beale View Post
Hi,have just fitted race tech 90 springs wiht 5 fork oil at 130mmair gap and an 80mm spacer and p/load on#7 my problem is to get anywere a decent feel both adjusters are only 1/4 to 1/2 open.Should i add more oil or mayby go onto #10 weight oil? Cheers

This is a common issue on the granularity of adjustments and is common to have the adjusters this far in. If you like it there and it is good, set it and forget it. Heavier oil might fix one issue, but create others.

My opinion is the the root of the problem is more towards the geometry of the adjuster needles.
One full turn out from fully seated shifts the damping curve a massive amount due to the large flow area increased by a small needle displacement. Longer sharper needle geometries with matched flow aperture can really help get a better dynamic range to the adjustment. The GP suspension or KTech compression adjusters work quite well and as for rebound, sometimes you are stuck or you machine your own. GP used to do a compression piston end assembly that had an improved geometry needle, but I think those are long gone.

-ms
Eric Beale likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 15th February 2020, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

sv forks

Thank you for your help guys
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 16th February 2020, 11:20 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
A quick question.....

Your rebound adjusters shold only turn 3 turns form all the way in, to all the way out....

If there is only 2 turns for example, then a quarter turn, about the same as 1/3rd turn if it was a full
3 turn range.....(just as an example.....)

Conversely, if you have more than 3 turns out, then that will be the other way round.....

The 3 turns out is controlled by the way the top cap has been mounted the cartridge rod.
The locknut should be 11mm from the top of the rod, and the cap spun down to stop there and then nipped tight...then test the rebound adjuster range.....all good, then its all good....

One owner..... 300,000kms and counting... yes, that much..........

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 18th February 2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Yes I was very carefull to set up with 11mm of thread showing, our roads over here in nz are very poor mayby im asking too much.Cheers.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 18th February 2020, 11:52 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Hullo to the Un Zud rider... ha ha...

Yeah, i know what crap roads are like....

I used to run 5w Motul Factory Line in my OEM forks, i think with 127mm air gap on .98 springs....
It felt a lot better than the 2.5w, just felt more controlled.....

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 20th February 2020, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Unhappy

I am finding not a lot of change no matter where the adjusters are set especially the compression ones allways seems to hit the bumps hard
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 21st February 2020, 12:08 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
07n forks

Quote:
I am finding not a lot of change no matter where the adjusters are set especially the compression ones allways seems to hit the bumps hard

If you have a bunch of sludge in the valving, the adjustments won’t do much...

Which 5wt oil did you use?
One 5wt can be very different from others due to the VI values of the oil.

Really high VI 10wt oils can be thinner at room temp than many 5wt oils.

-ms

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 21st February 2020, 01:23 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Agreed on that one.....

The Motul Factory Line 5w (full synth) is 18.0 mms/s @ 40 deg celsius 121 Viscosity index (or can be expressed as centistokes not mms/s

Where the Expert version (semi synt) is 17.9 and 112 viscosity

Bel Ray HVI 5w (mineral) is 17.1 and 146

just a couple of example, but a huge variation between one brand to another

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 21st February 2020, 01:49 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Agreed on that one.....

The Motul Factory Line 5w (full synth) is 18.0 mms/s @ 40 deg celsius 121 Viscosity index (or can be expressed as centistokes not mms/s

Where the Expert version (semi synt) is 17.9 and 112 viscosity

Bel Ray HVI 5w (mineral) is 17.1 and 146

just a couple of example, but a huge variation between one brand to another

I use a ton of Redline and Silkolene Pro RSF fluids for there really high VIs. Redline 5 has a VI of 509!

-ms
Longhair likes this.

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 21st February 2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Hi.I used spectro sae 5 fork oil,dosnt say anything else on container other than LF05 did clean out valves etc set at 130mm air gap.Cheers.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2020, 08:07 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Hi.I used spectro sae 5 fork oil,dosnt say anything else on container other than LF05 did clean out valves etc set at 130mm air gap.Cheers.

That bike had cartridges that allowed you to easily remove the cartridges? In the US all 05 and up bikes used the sealed cartridges.
-ma

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2020, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Thumbs down

Bike is 07 Aussie/nz spec with the later (worse) sealed cartridges
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Mayby more oil say decrease air gap from 130 to say 110 or 120 may give me more progression. Your thoughts appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in