Advice on keeping a SV1000S for the long term - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gphilos

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th May 2020, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Advice on keeping a SV1000S for the long term

Hello all,

First post on this forum. First off from the reading and the research I've done so far this is one of the best forums for content and tutorials I've experienced. Only my cb750c one comes close. Flattery aside I just (yesterday) purchased a new to me 2003 SV1000S with 32k on the clock. I plan on going over it with a fine tooth comb and running through all the must do mods. (Green connector, magneto, clutch basket, tps...ect)

My question to you all is there any specific parts that might be a good idea to stock up on for a long term ownership? From my frame off cb750 build I've experienced the joys and woes of what parts are available and which ones arnt for older bikes. As I go through this thing I want to get a feel what would be a good idea to get extras of and work to plan on doing. I already plan to go through all the adjustments, hoses, lines, bearings, fluids.

My plan is to keep this bike for as long as possible. My wife and I love the SV platform and odds willing plan on keeping her gen 1 650N and this for many years to come.

Basher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200505_195752_1588823729154.jpg (459.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20200505_195734_1588823746776.jpg (508.2 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th May 2020, 09:27 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Welcome to the site Basher. This is a great site for the do-it-yourselfer and we've got several extremely knowledgeable members who freely offer their expertise to anybody who asks.

Regarding stocking up on parts, that's a tough question. Things that can fail on the SV1000 (stator magnets and fuel pumps come to mind) have work-arounds. Although the SV1000 is an older bike, it's only roughly 15 years old. I'm sure as time marches on, more common things might pop up. It seems that the things that often require complete replacement are the result of crashes and not mechanical wear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th May 2020, 03:16 PM
Weekend cruiser

♂ United States
Yeah, there's a reason there are still so many around and guys with incredibly high mileage on these with minimal maintenance. Seem to be pretty bulletproof, that's why I picked one up myself last year.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th May 2020, 10:54 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Hemet, CA
Hi, Basher! That silver paint looks awesome with the 2003 silver frame! I have a 2005 black on black. Either color can go faster than I can!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 8th May 2020, 01:30 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Welcome and congrats on the new purchase. I imagine that the 1 thing that will be harder to get in the future is the plastic parts. They're the most fragile and most likely to be damaged. If you're planning to keep yours for a long time you might keep a lookout for a front fairing.

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 8th May 2020, 02:54 PM
L-Plate Rider

Thank you, that was the information that I was looking to obtain. Appreciated.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th May 2020, 02:27 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Used fuel tanks and fairings are really hard to come by; I guess that with so many SV650s being used as track bikes those parts are needed frequently.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th May 2020, 11:55 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Replace brake and maybe clutch lines with steel braided if still OEM. I see it has Micron cans - is the intake modified? Has it been dyno tuned to the cans? Power Commander? Depending on your weight the stock suspension can be wimpy. Proper fork springs and shock replacement (I used a Ninja shock) can help a lot. I think you have ID'd the major maintenance items. I have the Werks clutch basket rebuild - made a big difference at low rpm. 18 tooth front sprocket is nice for the open road - I don't do any city riding.

dwfree / 2003 SV1000 / 1997 Bandit 1200 / 2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th May 2020, 07:42 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Greece
Ioannina
Garage
I wouldnt say that the SV1k is a bullet proof bike.. I own my SV for 7 years now and some things have failed on me:
1. Clutch basket: annoying rattling at low rpm. Modified it by sharealike and looks like it cures the problem once and for all.
2. Rotor magnets: I would keep a spare rotor just in case. I replaced mine at 65k and still at 95k it works fine. I have installed a voltmeter to monitor charging. I have also repaired my old one with JB weld and have it as a spare.
3. Stator stopped producing power after a short time the rotor magnets gone. Got lucky aand found a used one at a decent price
4. Green connector gone at 60k
5. Clutch slave leaking- replaced seal
6. Fuel delivery issues. Replaced fuel pump and cleaned filter.
7. Thermostat gone at 95k

That all I can remember now.I love my SV and not plan to sell it now-i have spent a lot of money on maintenance and extras that won't pay off. Once the common issues are solved it is a reliable bike.
garazd likes this.

George Philos
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 18th May 2020, 09:30 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Over 300000 kms on mine, one owner.......

'nuff said.....

One owner..... 300,000kms and counting... yes, that much..........

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in