SV650 query - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th May 2020, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Far North Queensland, Australia
SV650 query

Hi all,

A couple of years ago I picked up an '03 SV650 from a guy who was moving house. The bike had sat in his shed for about six years and of course the fuel had all turned to crud. I brought it home and put in in the corner of my shed for a couple more years and dragged it out recently as a bit of a Covid-19 lockdown project.

Anyway tank off and given the vinegar soak treatment and fitted a new fuel pump yesterday. Got the bike running today and it ticks over beautifully. I took it for a short test run just to ensure all was well and it was. After the SV1000 I thought this bike would feel pretty slow but it really surprised me with just how peppy it was in the bottom end.

One thing I noticed is that I don't have a neutral light, and there is no gear indicator or trip meter function showing on the instrument panel. I was checking the connector for the gear position switch and found a little box that I suspect may be a TRE mod.

When TRE's are fitted, do they cause issues with the functions that aren't working as above?

I look forward to finding out what you think.

Cheers,

Russ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th May 2020, 03:13 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Enterprise, Al, USA
I have a TRE on my 2004 SV650S, and the neutral light works fine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 24th May 2020, 05:59 PM
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
The display connector pins may have a bit of corrosion on them. Some ACF-50 sprayed in them might help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 26th May 2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Thanks gents. I'll have a bit more of a look at things this weekend. I'm suspecting maybe the gear position switch might be worth a look.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th May 2020, 11:06 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
I don't know about SV650 TREs, but the TRE on my ZX-14, ZZR1400 in OZ, makes my ECU think it is in neutral all the time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th May 2020, 11:32 PM
Scooter boy

sounds like this is good time you can work on it, congrats! i can imagine how the gas and fuel pump looked, i bought few yrs ago TL and that poor thing sat for 5 years w gas in tank - it was varnish and stinked like hell..
i would clean all electrical connections + sensors, as guys here suggested those could cause the problem with neutral light... contacts they tend to corrode/oxide or get covered with grime... and your SV is 03 we talking about 17 years old machine, i woukd spray it with electric contact cleaner and use dielectric grease
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 30th May 2020, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
SV650 pump.jpg

How's this for grubby! I couldn't save the electric pump and fitted a new one. It's working fine now.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st May 2020, 08:10 PM
Scooter boy

♂ New Zealand
Garage
Wow, that pump is really messed up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in