LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2020, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
New Jersey
Garage
Are my front bearings done for?

Short vid - https://imgur.com/a/JbZQ1Xx

It may have been this way for some time, haven't had the wheels up until now. The axle is clean, greased it up with bel ray. From the drawings, it seems like inside the wheel, the bearings are on the outside with a spacer on the inside, but they don't spin easily (with a greasy gloved finger at least).

Pretty sure i'll be in for a replacement, very soon at least. Is it safe to ride short distances?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2020, 01:33 AM
Scooter boy

it should be spinning very easy, looks in your vid that it has lot of resistance, the inside roller bearing race/cage could b messed up.
i wouldnt wait and order set of new wheel bearings and didnt ride it as the bearing can seize.
Also check the rear wheel bearings since you already doing the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200602-213107_Chrome_1591147993578.jpg (327.5 KB, 9 views)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2020, 09:45 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Apart from the bearings being stuffed, they may have been replaced by some ham fisted twit....

One, the bearing on the (sit on the bike) left side of the wheel should be installed first.

Then the spacer tube, check it for out-of-round and that the ends of it are not crushed , or mushroomed.
That would indicate severe over tightening. Replace it if so.....

The other bearing goes in next, remember to never hit the inner race, best method is a bearing puller
with a solid 1/4" or 6mm plate minimum to pull it into place. it onlt needs to just barely make contact
wit the spacer tube....make sure the tube is central....you can also use a pin punch and hammer to
tap the bearing in carefully......moving around the edge of the bearing to keep the movement even....

You Tube some instructionals....

But, again, left side first....

One owner..... 303,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2020, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
New Jersey
Garage
Thank you both! Yes, i've been consuming as many instructionals as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Apart from the bearings being stuffed, they may have been replaced by some ham fisted twit....
probably! And the front axle was PITA to get off as well. I've confirmed the bearings are f'd, the only way the inner race spins is with the puller in there... a new front and rear set of all balls will be here soon, but...

for the life of me, i can't get these things out. I've got the bearing puller in there, between the inner race and the spacer, but i've been wackin on this thing for awhile now and it doesn't seem like it's budging!

Any tips?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0737.jpg (583.6 KB, 10 views)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th June 2020, 03:03 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
SV1000S 2003 Service Manual

Section 6....page 14 shows the puller for the bearings. Impact pullers don't work well on things that are really stuck which need more motivation to come out. If you can't find the puller...or rig something similar...some judicial application of heat often will help expand the aluminum and get the steel to move.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th June 2020, 08:12 PM
Scooter boy

could use plumber's torch - yellow tank makes more heat than blue one - home despot have those around 15 bucks or so...or if you have acccess to oxy acetylene welding kit that would be the best
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th June 2020, 08:43 PM
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
If you have a trustworthy dealer nearby, it may be worth it to take the wheel there and have them remove the bearings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th June 2020, 09:11 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
i have always used a long pin punch and hit the inner race from the opposite side....just work you way around.....

One owner..... 303,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in