• 1 Post By realshelby
  • 1 Post By oldbaldsob

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 26th June 2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Germany
Transmission Whining 5th and 6th gear

Hello SV-Riders,

Im from Germany and im riding an SV1000S K4.
Recently it started making a whining noise in 5th and 6th gear around 3500rpm.
Above 4000rpm and below 3300 rpm the noise is gone.
You can hear it clearly and you can also feel a kind of "grinding" in the handlebar and footrest.
Nobody in the german forum could help me.
Maybe someone of you had the same issues and knows, whats going on.
And it only occures in the discribed situations.

Greetings from Germany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th June 2020, 06:13 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Welcome to the Forum!

Mine will make some gear noise in 4th and always has but it's difficult to actually hear with the wind noise at that speed and I'd imagine that hearing yours in 5th and 6th would be even more difficult...so it's likely something making a lot of noise.

Have you ever serviced the clutch? The SV is famous (or infamous) for making clutch noise as the basket becomes loose they'll knock and rattle....but I'm not familiar with any noise that could be called a 'whine'. The 'grinding' feel in the pegs and bars IS consistent with clutch basket issues....and they tend to show up around 14,000 miles it seems. I'm on my third basket and both of the earlier ones were stock and getting noisy by 14K. Have a modified basket by RealShelby who posts here and on the SV Rider forum which is MUCH stronger than stock and just the other day I passed the 14,000 mark on his reworked basket and noticed that it's still as tight as the day I put it in....very happy with it. Hopefully he'll chime in with his thoughts on this as it very well could be something he could help you with.

There is always the possibility that the chain is making noise and it can sometimes be amplified through the gearbox depending on the gear....so please be sure the chain is in proper shape and adjusted correctly. Better a little loose than a little tight.....good advice for chains and women.

If you let us know how many miles you have on the bike, service history...particularly the clutch, chain life ect. it will help us track down your noises. Great to hear from our friends in Germany! Rob
oldbaldsob likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th June 2020, 08:19 PM
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

On the German forum, what suggestions were given to resolve your issue and how did you go about ruling any of them out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 29th June 2020, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Germany
Thank you

Its actually easy to hear the noise, even at riding 80/90 kilometers per hour.
the most disturbing thing is that you can feel this "scratching" while riding in this rpm range.
The guys from the german forum said that i should check the oil if there are any metal shavings.
So i did and found nothing. Even the gears click into place how they should.
Then they said i should ride on and check on the noise if its getting louder.
there is no way im going to open the motor just on assumptions. I'd rather swap the motor, but a good motor costs around 1200 and thats way too much.
You can buy a whole SV1000 for around 2600.
The noise is still there after a few hundred kilometers.
I searched for similiar cases and didnt find something comparable.
First i thought its the gear bearing but this should be audible even more in the first and second gear.

The SV has 39000km on it, was serviced every year by a suzuki dealer, the chain is 4000km old and well maintained.
The clutch basket is rattling, i know this problem but it wasnt bothering me. The clutch fluid was changed 2 weeks ago.
Maybe it results from the basket, but i have never heard about a grinding because of it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 29th June 2020, 11:22 AM
Vendor

♂ United States
Houston, Texas
I don't doubt the clutch basket is making its own noise and vibration. But the noises and grinding mentioned don't relate to a clutch basket in my opinion.

I am going to guess at chain and sprockets. Wouldn't take but one or two bad links to cause exactly what is being described. Look very closely at the chain for any kinking, any red dust around the pin area. Sure signs of chain issues. Front sprocket worn can also do some weird things too. While inspecting the chain....inspect the rear wheel for play in the bearings/hub.
oldbaldsob likes this.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 29th June 2020, 12:38 PM
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
I'm with RecoilRob and realshelby on the chain/sprockets. I ran the second SV1000 I had with an overly tight chain for awhile and it caused a noticeable whine at highway speed. Add in a worn sprocket and chain with a tight link or two and that could conceivably cause a grinding, crunching sound/feeling that could travel up through the frame/bars. Good luck tracking it down.
Missing Link likes this.

and
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2020, 10:37 AM
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
In addition to the chain, have you checked your flywheel magnets? Migrated magnet(s) will cause the flywheel to become unbalanced and could contribute to vibrations being felt through the frame. Worst case, destroyed magnets will get into the oil. I haven't read that a grinding noise is a symptom of that though but it is conceivable.

and
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2020, 09:58 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Moons ago, i had a rear sprocket, form a reputable brand, that had an issue with the centre hole being about 0.75mm
too big, and wow, did that cause a headache....

Because it was not running true, i had a tight spot every rotation, and a very loose spot in between....

because the chain seemed right at the loose spot, and adjusted there, (stupidly i didn't rotate the wheel)
i got a very harmonic vibe caused by the chain going tight every turn.......

Once i twigged to what was happening, i took the carrier out, held the axle in a vice and spun the carrier with a strong light to cast a shadow and could easily see the "out of round".. I loosened the sprocket bolts slightly, gave the sprocket a tap in the opposite direction and retightened....PERFECT !!
Have checked every sprocket i have had since and never found another bad one......

One owner..... 303,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2020, 11:18 AM
Scooter boy

♂ Australia
Far North Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
In addition to the chain, have you checked your flywheel magnets? Migrated magnet(s) will cause the flywheel to become unbalanced and could contribute to vibrations being felt through the frame. Worst case, destroyed magnets will get into the oil. I haven't read that a grinding noise is a symptom of that though but it is conceivable.
My '03 did exactly the same thing. That whining noise is a loose magnet grinding itself to death against the stator I'll bet.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2020, 09:57 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Walpole, MA
If it's the magnets, I'll be shocked (that it could make so much grinding noise, not that they failed). 5 of mine were completely free from the rotor and ground up like hell but I never heard or felt anything. Just opened it up to see for the hell of it and found a huge mess. Nothing salvageable, had to buy completely new rotor. Hope this isn't what it is for the OP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in