SV1000 exhaust header / link pipe material - SV1000 Portal
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 28th June 2020, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 39
Question SV1000 exhaust header / link pipe material

Does anyone know the materials used for the OEM SV1000 exhaust headers and linkpipe?
I was wondering why there is such a huge difference between them. The headers are rusty yet the linkpipe to the muffler is not.
At first I thought the headers are not stainless like the linkpipe, but neither are magnetic, in fact the linkpipe seems more magnetic.
Any idea? Are the headers less quality stainless? Or they see more wear because of stones etc?
Doubleyoupee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 28th June 2020, 09:25 PM
Hardcore Biker
 
Missing Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
 ♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Posts: 947
Garage
They are the same material, its just that the header pipe cops all the heat from the cylinder, and the tubular gasket
between the header and the mid pipe insulates it. Most of the worst heat has disapated by that time as well....
Secondly, the header pipe gets lots of road grime thrown at it, and it gets cooked on......

Get some medium grade steel wool and soapy water and it will clean off pretty well.... You can then use
1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper with the same water to get a decent sheen back.......if you do the steel wool
job every second time you wash it after that you will keep it reasonable....

One owner..... 303,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
Missing Link is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2020, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
They are the same material, its just that the header pipe cops all the heat from the cylinder, and the tubular gasket
between the header and the mid pipe insulates it. Most of the worst heat has disapated by that time as well....
Secondly, the header pipe gets lots of road grime thrown at it, and it gets cooked on......

Get some medium grade steel wool and soapy water and it will clean off pretty well.... You can then use
1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper with the same water to get a decent sheen back.......if you do the steel wool
job every second time you wash it after that you will keep it reasonable....
Interesting.. I almost can't believe it because my linkpipe almost looks new after 17 years, while my headers look like they the bike is from 1980.
My linkpipes are also exposed to the rain/elements. Does heat really make that much of a difference? It's not like the linkpipe doesn't get warm yet there is no rust at ALL.
Doubleyoupee is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2020, 09:38 PM
Hardcore Biker
 
Missing Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
 ♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Posts: 947
Garage
I can only say that they are both stainless steel, now, it is possible that they are different grades maybe, as the link pipe has different stresses on it......maybe....

But the seperation provided by the tubular gasket helps to stop heat transfer and may protect the link pipe a bit...

As i said previously, the road grime, stone impacts and sandblasting the front header pipe gets is pretty brutal......
Try the cleaning process i described, and you will improve the daylights out of it.....
Or, if you want to go gung-ho, take the header off and give it someone to refinsih the surface...there are some really
good stainless cleaning solutions they use and can get it to look like brand new, and then it is up to you to keep it
in good nick....

One owner..... 303,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
Missing Link is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2020, 09:31 PM
Hardcore Biker
 
Hatcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
 ♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Posts: 903
I just got mine from this to this...

It's from a '03 with 80k KM on the clock. Plenty of elbow grease is pretty much the only way. Helped along with a drill and a flap-wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200418_183244.jpg (1.02 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG-20200430-WA0009.jpeg (961.1 KB, 27 views)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hatcho is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2020, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
I can only say that they are both stainless steel, now, it is possible that they are different grades maybe, as the link pipe has different stresses on it......maybe....

But the seperation provided by the tubular gasket helps to stop heat transfer and may protect the link pipe a bit...

As i said previously, the road grime, stone impacts and sandblasting the front header pipe gets is pretty brutal......
Try the cleaning process i described, and you will improve the daylights out of it.....
Or, if you want to go gung-ho, take the header off and give it someone to refinsih the surface...there are some really
good stainless cleaning solutions they use and can get it to look like brand new, and then it is up to you to keep it
in good nick....
Took some pictures. Here's the difference (attached). Both never cleaned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
I just got mine from this to this...

It's from a '03 with 80k KM on the clock. Plenty of elbow grease is pretty much the only way. Helped along with a drill and a flap-wheel.
What substance/material did you use?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-07-04 at 00.31.49.jpeg (103.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-07-04 at 00.31.39.jpeg (144.0 KB, 17 views)
Doubleyoupee is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th July 2020, 09:30 PM
Hardcore Biker
 
Missing Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
 ♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Posts: 947
Garage
Ok, thats pretty rusty.....looks like it migh thave had something a bit caustic used on it at some time.... most, including mine, look like Hatcho's pipe.....

Just a thought, you live in the States ? Salted roads, if the rider was keen enough, or once the snow has melted, would reek havoc.....

Take it off, use 300 or similar grit paper and soapy water to clean the worst off, dont focus on a spot, make sure you are even all over......
Then move to 600 grit, 800 and then 1200.......then use a tiny amount of stainless steel polish with the 1200....(you will used a fair bit of paper)....
And then just polish the crap out of it......
Then its just maintaining it as best you can.....

If you dont want to go through the rubbish, just give it to someone who does metal finishing.....

One owner..... 303,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
Missing Link is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 8th July 2020, 12:32 PM
Forum whore
 
tzk321's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
 ♂ United States
Virginia
Posts: 2,710
Is there any way to keep it shiny after cleaning it?

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
tzk321 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th July 2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 39
Thanks, but yeah that's what holding me back from doing it.. afraid it will be ugly/rusty again within 4 weeks :/
Doubleyoupee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome