SV Portal Forums banner

SV1000 exhaust header / link pipe material

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Doubleyoupee 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the materials used for the OEM SV1000 exhaust headers and linkpipe?
I was wondering why there is such a huge difference between them. The headers are rusty yet the linkpipe to the muffler is not.
At first I thought the headers are not stainless like the linkpipe, but neither are magnetic, in fact the linkpipe seems more magnetic.
Any idea? Are the headers less quality stainless? Or they see more wear because of stones etc?

#2 ·
They are the same material, its just that the header pipe cops all the heat from the cylinder, and the tubular gasket
between the header and the mid pipe insulates it. Most of the worst heat has disapated by that time as well....
Secondly, the header pipe gets lots of road grime thrown at it, and it gets cooked on......

Get some medium grade steel wool and soapy water and it will clean off pretty well.... You can then use
1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper with the same water to get a decent sheen back.......if you do the steel wool
job every second time you wash it after that you will keep it reasonable....

#3 ·
Interesting.. I almost can't believe it because my linkpipe almost looks new after 17 years, while my headers look like they the bike is from 1980.
My linkpipes are also exposed to the rain/elements. Does heat really make that much of a difference? It's not like the linkpipe doesn't get warm yet there is no rust at ALL.

#4 ·
I can only say that they are both stainless steel, now, it is possible that they are different grades maybe, as the link pipe has different stresses on it......maybe....

But the seperation provided by the tubular gasket helps to stop heat transfer and may protect the link pipe a bit...

As i said previously, the road grime, stone impacts and sandblasting the front header pipe gets is pretty brutal......
Try the cleaning process i described, and you will improve the daylights out of it.....
Or, if you want to go gung-ho, take the header off and give it someone to refinsih the surface...there are some really
good stainless cleaning solutions they use and can get it to look like brand new, and then it is up to you to keep it
in good nick....

#6 ·
Took some pictures. Here's the difference (attached). Both never cleaned.

I just got mine from this to this...

It's from a '03 with 80k KM on the clock. Plenty of elbow grease is pretty much the only way. Helped along with a drill and a flap-wheel. :crybaby:
What substance/material did you use?

Attachments

#7 ·
Ok, thats pretty rusty.....looks like it migh thave had something a bit caustic used on it at some time.... most, including mine, look like Hatcho's pipe.....

Just a thought, you live in the States ? Salted roads, if the rider was keen enough, or once the snow has melted, would reek havoc.....

Take it off, use 300 or similar grit paper and soapy water to clean the worst off, dont focus on a spot, make sure you are even all over......
Then move to 600 grit, 800 and then 1200.......then use a tiny amount of stainless steel polish with the 1200....(you will used a fair bit of paper)....
And then just polish the crap out of it......
Then its just maintaining it as best you can.....

If you dont want to go through the rubbish, just give it to someone who does metal finishing.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.