Difference in ignition key barrels? EU v US - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 21st July 2020, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Weekend cruiser

♂ Norway
Difference in ignition key barrels? EU v US

I'm in the process of retrofitting a sv1000 fork assembly on my suzuki gs, incl the ignition lock.
And its supposed to be connected the same way as my gs with two and two wires having continuity but it's not. I have continuity between red(battery), orange(switched power) and Brown(parklights). The orange/yellow doesn't have continuity with anything (it's supposed to have with Br) this according to the 2003 wiring diagram i have found online via this site) idk what year ignition lock I have.

So basically my parking lights will be on even if the light switch is off.

Is my ignition lock faulty or does the EU version not have the option of shutting off all lights?

Sent fra min motorola one vision via Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 21st July 2020, 09:43 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
The States based guys will be able to flesh out what i am saying here, but, i think that in the U.S. their headlights aren't hard-wired like EU and Australian/New Zealan units....

Meaning, they have an on/off switch on the left switch block for the headlights.....

One owner..... 303,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2020, 06:54 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
US bikes all have their headlights fixed to ON...got to install your own switch to shut them off if you want. I believe that the US SV's have a 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch as a theft preventative measure and not sure if other Countries had such a thing.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2020, 09:09 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecoilRob View Post
US bikes all have their headlights fixed to ON...got to install your own switch to shut them off if you want. I believe that the US SV's have a 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch as a theft preventative measure and not sure if other Countries had such a thing.
...Really? Honestly thought it was an option to have them on or off over there....was there a time gone past where there was a seperate headlight switch ?
Is this the same across all bikes....

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2020, 02:30 AM
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link
...Really? Honestly thought it was an option to have them on or off over there....was there a time gone past where there was a seperate headlight switch ?

I'm not sure how long the practice goes back but my first bike was a 1993 Honda Nighthawk and its headlight came on when you turned the ignition on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2020, 07:02 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Yes....back in the 'Dark Ages' bikes DID come with headlight ON/OFF switches.....but then our Overlords decided that we'd be more reliable tax payers if we stayed alive longer so 'safety' improvements were implemented. My first bike....'76 RD400 had the light switch, but since the '85 V-Max they've come with lights wired to ON. Of course....we installed switches to turn them off which is easy on the SV if you have the Eastern Beaver relay kit with that option. VERY good idea to be able to defeat the lights just in case of charging system failure as it gives you at least a half-hour of additional run time before the battery goes flat. Might save some pushing or a tow.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th July 2020, 09:17 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Do you guys know if it is a legal requirement in the States, or is it just that you have to take what you were given form the manufacturers ?

It is a legal thing in Oz, possibly NZ too....

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in