Sv1000 ignition removal difficulties - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th August 2020, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
San Francisco
Sv1000 ignition removal difficulties

Taking off ignition, to repair/ source new part, at current i can't get power to the bike at turn of the switch.

Previous owner had ham hands. One of the two security torx screws holding the key cylinder to the top triple is completely stripped out.

seeking advice.

Im inclined to get the top triple removed from the bike and onto my bench so i can work on it. However, i'm hoping i can extract the screw with out disassembly of the forks, seeking tips/ ideas for small tools to get the job done. The access point to the screws is very awkward. , ill include photos later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th August 2020, 10:03 AM
Obsessed with SV1000s

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Those security torx screws can be a bitch to get out. I broke a tooth out of a bit getting one of the screws out during my '05 rebuild. Trying one of those 3/8 inch bolt extractor attachments with a ratchet extension might do the trick. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th August 2020, 09:37 PM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Nicholas View Post
Taking off ignition, to repair/ source new part, at current i can't get power to the bike at turn of the switch.
Allen head afterwards fixes that torx screw thing....

You say you have NO power to the bike ? It may be the GREEN connector issue.....
If you arte removing the triple with the switich, you will be disconnecting that B%&*tard of a connector ......so, while you are at it, replace that
with a good quality water-resistant connector.......it kills all power when it fails......

One owner..... 313,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th August 2020, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
San Francisco
It is in fact not a green connector issue. I was sure to look into that as my first thing to check while troubleshooting, wiring is soldered directly together, @Missing Link , any recommendations for quality waterproof connectors, i'll add one in while i'm doing the repair. As for bolt extraction, how difficult is it remove the top triple for easy access, little intimidated as i've never done it before but it would be the best way to have control over bolt extraction. I was thinking about getting a flex shaft attachment for drill to get the job done, any thoughts ? Thanks for all the help
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th August 2020, 05:56 AM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Not sure what the best connectors are in your market, oldbaldsob or one of the other guys will add that....

The top triple is an easy off job.... undo the center nut and losen the fork tube bolts and i will slip off...

The issue is going to be the fact that your wiring is soldered shut, you will need to cut the wiring ready to
install a new plug set-up anyway.....

And, to be certain, does the bike have NO power, or is it just one part of the system that is down ?

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th August 2020, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
San Francisco
@Missing Link , good call I now feel comfortable removing the top triple, thanks ! And yeah to be clear I am able to get power to the system by wiggling the key cylinder while in the on position , it’s is clear that the contacts inside ignition cylinder are no longer making solid contact .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 9th August 2020, 09:17 PM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
There is a port on the sideof the barrel, which i think is designed as a water drain, you can flood that with contact cleaner and then work the switch
back an forth with the key, and keep flushing it with contact or brake cleaner.....once it has dried out, then a splash of WD40 and then see what happens.....
I cant remember if the port is accessible without removing it from the tree

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in