05 1000 svz - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Glenn

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st September 2020, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

05 1000 svz

Hi all (please excuss my spelling and that) iv owned my 05 svz about 3 months now, twice its thru up the blinking fi oil light, so stopped her then started it again still thier ,so repeated still thier then started again then the oil light stayed on switched off left a few minutes started and nothing?? now thiers plenty of oil sits at the full line! Am thinking oil sensor are pump but dont know were to start am not very well machanical but would take on a small job cheers for anyones help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st September 2020, 09:25 PM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Welcome to the site mate....

Not had this occur before, or have heard of it either, thats not to say it hasn't.

The switch may possibly be the issue yes, but read on....

You say you have owned it 3 months....have you taken it as gospel that the oil in it was really very fresh. or have you changed it ?
I always believe that oil should be changed right after buying the bike, so you know what it is, and when it was changed....

The flashing FI light may be a symptom of something else as well, possibly fuel or sensor related.

There is a plug under your pillion seat that can be used to enable a "dealer mode" which gives a -C00 on your dash instead of temp, and the numbers after the -C denote possible faults. The - before the C shows you relative TPS position (throttle position sensor)

Have a look around the site for Dealer Mode Switch and see how you make one, or buy one, to suit your year bike..... or someone will come along and drop a link in here for it....i am crap at finding that stuff.... ha ha

One owner..... 313,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2020, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Hi mate cheers ,yes i havent changed the oil but it looks pretty clean ,what am gona do is give it a fresh service,new oil, filter,plugs ,airfilter and throw on a new oil sensor for goodluck as its not over expensive, as for dealer mode its not putting up any codes,cheers for your help 🙂

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2020, 12:20 AM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
DOnt spend the money on the sensor yet....might be a waste....

I should have said, you need to look for codes WHEN the prob is happening....you gotta flip the delae rmode on while the bike is still live....
If you turn the bike off, the code will clear.....unless there is serious problem with a sensor.

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2020, 11:24 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Baldivis, Western Australia
Hi guys, Kevin, before you drain the engine oil mate. Have someone hold the bike up right and you watch the oil level sightglass as the engine starts, Oil should rapidly disappear from the sightglass as the engine starts. If the oil stays in the sightglass there are problems that new oil isn't going to fix. You may also want to consider using a mechanical pressure gage to check the oil pressure.
Missing Link likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 24th September 2020, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Hi lads ,already have new switch ordered was rightly rusted so do no harm,yea i read that about the codes the other day it has to be running so i.ll have to keep the spare with me for when it happens next to take off the cowl ! Yes the oil disappears out the sight glass fairly fast i checked before draining it , the first time this happened was about 6 weeks and i was driving it around after reasonable hard, no noticable loud bang are knocking , so fingers crossed nothing serious going on 🙃 is doing a compersion test hard ?? And again thank you for all your help😎😎👍
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 24th September 2020, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

I should have said before hand its only threw up the fi twice in the last few months its not on all the time if yas get me lol
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th September 2020, 12:44 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ Australia
Baldivis, Western Australia
Good job Kevin, so a poor a contact at the oil pressure switch. It is a bit of a piss poor place for that switch and with the little rubber boot capable of holding in moisture and dirt, not too bad here in Aus but a problem in some countries.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th September 2020, 12:50 AM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Never had the issue on mine, thats for sure.... Like Glenn said, other places, especially where the roads get salted because of ice..... nasty

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th September 2020, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Am in ireland here, the previous owner done a fair bit of tourer other countries, the part is not here to next week so abit of a wait😫 but will keep yas updated 😎😎
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 29th September 2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Hi all me again, i thebhave clutch cover off here checking primary gear nut isnt loose, am debating weather to go on ahead to take the clutch basket off and get the (mod) done with sharealike! If i decide to go ahead will i need to replace the clutch plates? Are can i reuse? If i can reuse the will be out of the bike for a few weeks so what is best way to keep the stored? Will they need to be soaked in oil to stop drying out?? Thanks for any help
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 29th September 2020, 04:35 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mc Elroy View Post
Hi all me again, i thebhave clutch cover off here checking primary gear nut isnt loose, am debating weather to go on ahead to take the clutch basket off and get the (mod) done with sharealike! If i decide to go ahead will i need to replace the clutch plates? Are can i reuse? If i can reuse the will be out of the bike for a few weeks so what is best way to keep the stored? Will they need to be soaked in oil to stop drying out?? Thanks for any help

If clutch plates are good reuse them.
Once out, just put them in a plastic bag with a bit of oil and you will be fine.
-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 29th September 2020, 09:38 PM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Without a doubt, get the basket mod done....... you will never regret it..... the drop in vibes is quite noticeable.... I changed my hub from the slipper arrangement
to the first gen DL1000 hub (non-slipper), that also removed extra vibes.....

Doing the rotor magnets, if they have shifted, also removes a lot of vibration too......

Your clutch plates will be fine to re-use for sure.....

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 30th September 2020, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Cheers mate, any chance you know the tourque for the primary gear nut? Iv read its 50 nm but on a sv page i was told its 115nm am confused atm i dont want tobstart this job with wrong information and messing the bike up
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 1st October 2020, 12:09 AM
Forum whore

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Cheers mate, any chance you know the tourque for the primary gear nut? Iv read its 50 nm but on a sv page i was told its 115nm am confused atm i dont want tobstart this job with wrong information and messing the bike up
The genyou-wine Snoozy manuel says 115nm and make sure the "L" mark on the nut faces outwards.....
you will need a rotor holder tool...... or a serious strap wrench to hold the rotor still while doing it..... see the picture from said book of good...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg primary nut.JPG (56.7 KB, 6 views)

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in