DL1000a clutch slipping - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th October 2020, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

DL1000a clutch slipping

I've done all of the research I could in the search engine and I can find anything that helps me sort out my problem. I've got an 07 sv1000s and did the 2018 DL1000a slipper clutch upgrade. I followed everything from schmidt's writeup and I've taken this stupid thing apart 3 times...it still slips. I don't have any gaps in the clutch pack, everything seems in order, but when I ride it it just slips. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm at a complete loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th October 2020, 06:21 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAst8ofMind View Post
I've done all of the research I could in the search engine and I can find anything that helps me sort out my problem. I've got an 07 sv1000s and did the 2018 DL1000a slipper clutch upgrade. I followed everything from schmidt's writeup and I've taken this stupid thing apart 3 times...it still slips. I don't have any gaps in the clutch pack, everything seems in order, but when I ride it it just slips. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm at a complete loss.

Make sure the the slave cylinder piston is not bottoming out and not allowing the clutch to fully clamp.

What is your total stack height?
How much spacer if any did you use on the clutch springs?
Are all the plates in correctly and the pressure plate properly set into the center hub teeth?

If needed, send me a PM.
-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th October 2020, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Quote:

Make sure the the slave cylinder piston is not bottoming out and not allowing the clutch to fully clamp.

What is your total stack height?
How much spacer if any did you use on the clutch springs?
Are all the plates in correctly and the pressure plate properly set into the center hub teeth?

If needed, send me a PM.
-ms
Just sent a PM. Should I sort this out I'll owe you a case of beer lol.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th October 2020, 12:26 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I am using the 1st gen DL hub, but i do know that there was a different thickness spacer from that bike that HAD to be used or it would have just slipped it ass off...

I assume that the 2nd gen is similar in its requirements.....

You have go the last friction plate you install in its own slots on the basket ?

One owner..... 311,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th October 2020, 05:41 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
I am using the 1st gen DL hub, but i do know that there was a different thickness spacer from that bike that HAD to be used or it would have just slipped it ass off...

I assume that the 2nd gen is similar in its requirements.....

You have go the last friction plate you install in its own slots on the basket ?

The later DL1000 takes a completely different set of friction plates from the SV1000/early DL1000.

-ms

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th October 2020, 06:59 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
The later DL1000 takes a completely different set of friction plates from the SV1000/early DL1000.

-ms
ahhh...thats right, i remember that being mentioned when i was gonna do my mod.....

Does the last plate in sit in its own slots like the te SV and DL (mk1) ??

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th October 2020, 07:53 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
DL1000a clutch slipping

Quote:
ahhh...thats right, i remember that being mentioned when i was gonna do my mod.....

The last plate in is clocked differently than the others in the offset slots.

The SV uses a 10 friction plate clutch with two different thicknesses. It also uses QTY2 2.3mm thick steel plates and the rest are 2.0mm.

The 14 and up DLs use 9 friction plates all with the same thickness, and in standard set up it uses all 2.0mm thick metal plates. There are option plates of 1.6mm and 2.3mm to set stack height in order to tune the clutch if needed for slip.

-ms

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 31st October 2020, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

Quote:
Quote:

The last plate in is clocked differently than the others in the offset slots.

The SV uses a 10 friction plate clutch with two different thicknesses. It also uses QTY2 2.3mm thick steel plates and the rest are 2.0mm.

The 14 and up DLs use 9 friction plates all with the same thickness, and in standard set up it uses all 2.0mm thick metal plates. There are option plates of 1.6mm and 2.3mm to set stack height in order to tune the clutch if needed for slip.

-ms
And that's where I think I screwed up. I can't believe it was off by such a large amount. 46.5 mm versus what should be 50.1. I still can't figure out why there was such a discrepancy in what it should have been when I followed what I thought were the instructions haha. I should have measured it before I put it in lol. Lesson learned.

At least it's a simple fix. I'll update everyone once the parts get on and let you know what happens. I'm cleaning up the clutch cover this weekend so that I can put everything back together as soon as it arrives in the mail.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2020, 12:39 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Its great when a plan comes together....and apart, and together......and...... ha ha

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

Quote:
Its great when a plan comes together....and apart, and together......and...... ha ha
Hahahahaha so much truth to that statement 😂
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2020, 11:41 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
And that's where I think I screwed up. I can't believe it was off by such a large amount. 46.5 mm versus what should be 50.1. I still can't figure out why there was such a discrepancy in what it should have been when I followed what I thought were the instructions haha. I should have measured it before I put it in lol. Lesson learned.

At least it's a simple fix. I'll update everyone once the parts get on and let you know what happens. I'm cleaning up the clutch cover this weekend so that I can put everything back together as soon as it arrives in the mail.

You used aftermarket parts, not the OEMs specified. I find these kinds of issues all the time with aftermarket parts... they often just donít work.
-ms

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th November 2020, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

Schmidt, you were absolutely right. The aftermarket discs were 3mm. I was unable to buy the correct ones at the time because of a nation wide back order or something like that. I still can't find anyone who has them in stock. Bikebandit and partzilla can't get them either. Guess I'm stuck for now.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th November 2020, 06:09 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Schmidt, you were absolutely right. The aftermarket discs were 3mm. I was unable to buy the correct ones at the time because of a nation wide back order or something like that. I still can't find anyone who has them in stock. Bikebandit and partzilla can't get them either. Guess I'm stuck for now.

I just sent you an email.
-ms

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th November 2020, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

Quote:
Quote:

I just sent you an email.
-ms
Thanks MS, I got it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in