Cold exhaust - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 13th November 2020, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Wales
South Wales
Garage
Cold exhaust

Hi guys, been trying to work some stuff out with the bike, the idle fluctuates a bit and I seem to get harsh vibrations, noticeable more on the throttle side of the bars, also when trying to hold speed at about 70+ the bike is hunting a bit.

Iíve just done a service and checked tb sync and they are okay.
Iíve also recently unplugged the O2 sensor and fitted a pcIII with a map for my current mods, I think itís helped a bit with hunting problem but the vibrations and idle problem are still there.

While running the bike up to temp Iíve noticed that the right side exhaust is noticeable hotter than the left, I can feel air coming out of both but one is warmer than the other, also the left Is almost cold to touch and the right isnít. I know there is a join in the middle so assumed they shared the flow. Is one side being hotter a problem and could this be a cause/something that stems from my other problems?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SV 1000 K5, PCIII, O2 removal, K&N filter, Carbon Can Co. bolt ons, ATRE, PAIR Removal.
🏍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 13th November 2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Wales
South Wales
Garage
Iíve also just changed the spark plugs with the service, these are the old ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27E2254C-C493-4CA6-B7A4-F4AF927893A5.jpg (591.3 KB, 20 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SV 1000 K5, PCIII, O2 removal, K&N filter, Carbon Can Co. bolt ons, ATRE, PAIR Removal.
🏍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 15th November 2020, 05:45 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ New Zealand
Auckland,New Zealand
Garage
Check charging voltage and even if ok,inspect magneto rotor magnets.
Here on the site you will find topics wit pictures an full description about the rotor.
Improper charging can upset spark,fuel injection.
Unbalanced rotor can cause excessive vibes.
Others might have more ideeas about the symptoms you have.
The left exhaust tube is longer than the other one(always cooler a bit),but this does not mean that has to be just warm to touch when the bike is at normal running temp.
Hope this helps!

Flush front indicators,mini rear indicators with polished aluminium mounting plates,electronic flasher relay,frame sliders,TRE,Home made radar detector support,white led strips under headlight,black anodized aluminium radiator grille,pack rack

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th November 2020, 12:49 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I would be looking at how hot the header pipes are, not the mufflers.....although, they should be as hot as each other....

If you have a cold/cool header, then either you have no spark or fuel (coil / plug / injector) issue(s)

Those plugs are toast for sure, and one seems wet with oil, even up on to the body.....have you got oil weeping down into the spark plug well
one of them ? This can cause a direct arc to the cylinder head from the plug cap, meaning loss of spark in the cylinder....
If so, get the rocker cover off, and apply some gasket sealant and refit, then wash the plug bore out with brake cleaner or similar.
While you are at it, remove the plug boots from the leads and trim 3- 5mm from the leads and refit the caps to give a better contact.

If this isn't the fix, then maybe its a coil.....not common though.

Also, try swapping injectors over from one cylinder to the other, if the problem shifts, then thats a tell.....

Now, i have never worked on an O2 sensor system before, but, if the problem started after this work, i would reverse it and see if the problem goes away...then its possibly a mapping issue
or even a wiring issue..... schmidt314 will have something to offer on this one for sure

One owner..... 312,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 16th November 2020, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Wales
South Wales
Garage
Thanks for the info guys really helpful! Iíve got some free time next week so Iíll look into the solutions youíve given me and Iíll let you guys know if anything has worked 🤙🏻

🏍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th November 2020, 09:14 PM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Williams View Post
Thanks for the info guys really helpful! Iíve got some free time next week so Iíll look into the solutions youíve given me and Iíll let you guys know if anything has worked 🤙🏻

One, i am interested to know if you got this sorted....

Two......i am also writing this as an excuse to see something, anything, posted on the site......where the hell is everyone...? HA HA....havent seen anything posted for many days now....

One owner..... 312,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in