SV Portal Forums banner

Alternative Replacement Parts List

67K views 197 replies 75 participants last post by  schmidt314 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

A couple of members have suggested this so, I can't take credit.

There appears to be a number of different parts from other bikes that fits and improves our bikes. One example that comes immediately to mind is the Buell pegs, another recent example was the rad fan.

So far though we don't have a comprehensive list. So I thought I'll create this thread and ask for submissions. At the same time I'll troll for previous posts and link to them in the attached spreadsheet.

Feel free to post up what you've actually installed on the bikes and what mods were required. Please add as much detail as possible to your post, for example the TLS cans will bolt right up to our midpipes but you will either need to fashion brackets or strap hangars. We can start by using the columns in the attached spreadsheet as a template for the details.

To simplify looking up the parts, I'll summarize everyone's post in the attached file.

Attachments

#3 ·
Timothy said:
Good idea, you can add TLR/S end cans to the list right away too.
Well yes and no... They aren't a direct bolt on so be careful to word it as such...

The top tab doesn't match up right. Now the aftermarket ones all fit of course...:supsmiley

#8 ·
svjoe said:
i beg to differ, installed a set of gutted TL stockers on my SV with no problems at all..........................they fit
So did I but you need to create brackets for the hangars. My brackets all ripped at the bends so I zipped off my hangar tabs on the TLS cans and fashioned strap hangars.

Sounds like this is taking off. I'll give this feeler a couple more days then start a new thread that the mods can make as a sticky.

When I create the actual thread and start populating the spreadsheet, I'll ask people to be explicit, using the spreadsheet columns as a template.

#11 ·
Caterpillar O-ring number 5H-7370 (black) to be used as cruise control with stock grips and bar-ends. And only $1.96 at your Wagner store. This has to be the best cheap mod:supsmiley. If you like yellow, order p/n 8M-4991, which is Silicone, but costs $4.19. It stretches a bit more, in case you find the Nitrile one too hard.

#12 ·
Hatcho said:
GSXR 1000 K2 Calipers bolt straight on - simple upgrade from 4 pots to 6 pots :supsmiley - and they come in high-bling gold!
I spoke to James at JHS about this, he said that with the standard SV brake set up, there isn't enough UMPH to move all 6 pots at the same time and that you really should upgrade the whole system (as they do on the race bikes).

Just what I was told....

I agree about the bling though...:cool2:

#13 ·
Timothy said:
I spoke to James at JHS about this, he said that with the standard SV brake set up, there isn't enough UMPH to move all 6 pots at the same time and that you really should upgrade the whole system (as they do on the race bikes).

Just what I was told....

I agree about the bling though...:cool2:
how would you go about uprgading the whole system? brake booster of some sort along with metal lines? info please........

#14 ·
svjoe said:
how would you go about uprgading the whole system? brake booster of some sort along with metal lines? info please........
Yeah, what's the thing on the bars called? Brake master cylinder maybe?

That needs to be upgraded to make them work 100%. Again, just what I've been told.

The only reason I know is that James was looking at my pazzo levers and I said they would look good on his race bike, he showed me that he has the GSX-R set up and didn't need a new lever.

#143 ·
So does this mean that the (aftermarket) GSX-R brake and clutch lever will fit on the 03 SV? If so, what year and size GSX-R? Someone also said that Busa levers will fit our bikes, is this true?

So are the brake and clutch lever pretty universal among Suzuki sport bikes?

Just so we are clear, I am talking about hand controls, not foot levers.

#18 ·
svjoe said:
any swaps from other bikes that can make this happen, or strictly aftermarket stuff? i like the brakes on the sv(much better than on my c-50), but more stopping power is always welcome!
I've heard that the radial master from the Gixxers will work but apparently the Nissin units were problematic. I think Gunluv actually did this mod.

#19 ·
Just to let everyone know, the spreadsheet's been updated and I've trolled through and found some other threads that I've linked in the spreadsheet as well.

Looking for more comments...for example....
  • Wheels - what year make and model wheels would be an exact fit for us? I understand Gixxers will fit but what years? What models? etc.
  • Clutch and Brake reservoirs
  • Oil Filters
  • Air Filters
  • etc.

#20 ·
shil said:
If you can lock the front wheel with the stock brakes, how does the six-pot give you more stopping power?
FYI: It's not about locking up the tire/wheel... It's all about fade going in hot. Not saying that the 6 pots help with this but the larger surface area will usualy help.:blah:

Just because the stock pads lock the wheel doesn't mean they don't fade like a mother and feel like wood (they do) . I can name several members that will atest to the fact that the EBC HH+ and other HH+ pads are superior to the stockers even though the stockers lock the front tire. :blah: This includes me...:whistle:

I have the 6 potters but really just for the bling factor but I believe our master cylinder is the same as the 2002 Gixxers...

#21 ·
2WIN said:
I have the 6 potters but really just for the bling factor but I believe our master cylinder is the same as the 2002 Gixxers...
Just out of curiosity, how much unsprung weight did it add over the stock setup??

#22 ·
2WIN said:
FYI: It's not about locking up the tire/wheel... It's all about fade going in hot. Not saying that the 6 pots help with this but the larger surface area will usualy help.:blah:

Just because the stock pads lock the wheel doesn't mean they don't fade like a mother and feel like wood (they do) . I can name several members that will atest to the fact that the EBC HH+ and other HH+ pads are superior to the stockers even though the stockers lock the front tire. :blah: This includes me...:whistle:

any pics, or insructions on the install? is our master cylinder strong enough to keep up with the 6 pots?

#25 ·
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="33%">
Oil Filters for Suzuki SV1000 series

SUZUKI OEM 16510-06B01
NAPA Gold, Oil Filter, #1359.
STP SMO-18
AMSOIL Oil filter #SMF-109
Bike Master (Black) 314-0025
Cycle Power 314-1919
FRAM 314-6018 (PH601:cool:
Purolator ML16818
HiFlo Filtro HF-138
NAOA Gold 1359
ProPart Black 01-0029
Emgo Black 10-55660
Emgo Chrome 10-55670
VESRAH Sf-3007
JC Whitney Black - 06AD3165B
JC Whitney Chrome -06AD3166P
WIX 51359.
K & N Powersports Oil Filter
Part# KN-138 for the Black
KN-138C for Chrome.
(The K&N has a 17mm hex nut on the end so no special oil filter wrench is required.)
</TD><TD width="34%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Note- JC Whitney filters are said to be EMGO and EMGO are said to make Suzuki OEM filters. They look identical, with a "O" ring instead of a flat gasket surface, however, the JCW models call for changing every 1500 miles instead of the usual 3000, so take that into consideration. Also, JC Whitney part numbers change with every new catalog, so at least part of the listed item number may be different in your current catalog. The above filters fit many other Suzuki products including the SV650 series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.