WARNING! Engine failure possible due to incorrect assembly - SV1000 Portal
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
What's this space for?

United States
Exclamation WARNING! Engine failure possible due to incorrect assembly

I don't really want to cause a panic but I feel everyone with at least a 2006+ SV to see what I came across. There have been some posts about a knock that is occuring that is not related to the original knock that the '03 owners have discussed. It has been mainly a knock that is related to clutch engagement at idle (clutch out very noisy and clutch in quiet) and sometimes a shudder type vibration when accelerating through 2.5 to 4,000 ish RPM. I think I have only really read about the 2006 owners comments about this particular sound.

The noise usually starts after about 500 miles from what I have seen. Having just put the SV away for the winter I decided I was gonna see if I could find anything irregular happening under the clutch cover. I was damn near in shock when I looked at the primary drive gear. I could see where this could have caused some abnormal noise. Eventually damage to the cam drive gear, clutch gear, and possible coolant loss into the engine area. I am finding this out with about 8,000mi on my bike. I don't want to leave you hanging but I want to post some pics up of what exactly is going. I will get them posted ASAP.

Craig
Jacob Doele likes this.

Hamicad fender eliminator : Zero Gravity smoke windscreen : Suzuki hugger & seat cowl : Motosliders : Leo Vince Titanium cans : Endurance Engineering exhaust hangers :Watsen Design front flushmounts : Motrax rear LED signals : Smart TRE(removed) : Speedo Healer : PAIR removed : Spiegler braided lines brakes & clutch : Galfer rear wave rotor : Pazzo brake & clutch levers : OSF Rearsets : '05 GSXR 600 USD forks : Vortex 42T rear sprocket : DID gold chain : PCIIIusb : Scotts rotary damper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
What's this space for?

United States
Here we go...

#1 The primary drive gear nut is what caught my eye.
#2 From a different angle. This is how much it had unthreaded itself. FYI it is also a left handed thread, opposite of a normal thread. This is supposed to help keep the nut from loosening. Of course it needs to be tight in the first place, a hefty 83 Ft. Lbs.
#3 Here you can see where the primary drive gear assembly started to move off the crankshaft and rub on the inside water pump housing. It actually has worn grooves into it.
#4 I decided to take out the oil screen. When pulling it out I heard some metal clicking sound and met some resistance. That is when I looked closer and seen the primary gear spring washer. Yes, it traveled quite a ways and I am suprised it did not do any damage. (this area is directly below the clutch)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2541.jpg (116.0 KB, 2401 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2540.jpg (53.4 KB, 2267 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2544.jpg (106.5 KB, 2205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2549.jpg (123.4 KB, 2295 views)
slatanik and Jacob Doele like this.

Hamicad fender eliminator : Zero Gravity smoke windscreen : Suzuki hugger & seat cowl : Motosliders : Leo Vince Titanium cans : Endurance Engineering exhaust hangers :Watsen Design front flushmounts : Motrax rear LED signals : Smart TRE(removed) : Speedo Healer : PAIR removed : Spiegler braided lines brakes & clutch : Galfer rear wave rotor : Pazzo brake & clutch levers : OSF Rearsets : '05 GSXR 600 USD forks : Vortex 42T rear sprocket : DID gold chain : PCIIIusb : Scotts rotary damper
post #3 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
What's this space for?

United States
#1 The spring washer pulled from below the oil screen
#2 What it should look like if it wasn't broken
#3 These springs were still in place between the two primary gears, I did find little pieces down at the oil screen though
#4 Shows how the primary is assembled
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2554.jpg (116.3 KB, 1050 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2556.jpg (104.8 KB, 975 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2557.jpg (107.0 KB, 898 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (33.2 KB, 1132 views)

post #4 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
What's this space for?

United States
#1 Can't quite figure this one out yet. The two punch marks on the primary gear and cam drive gear should line up. Well, they don't and the outer primary scissor gear can only be placed on one way I think. Nothing has moved or else the engine would not run correctly and very likely slap the pistons and valves together. The keyways are not sheared. I need to mess around with this some more to see if I can get them to line up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2555.jpg (135.3 KB, 1173 views)

post #5 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 07:55 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United Kingdom
Bournemouth, Dorset
seems a poor design fault not to have either a split pin, tab washer or circlip on that nut, however looking at the pics although the nut coming loose is bad, the gears you show are locked into place with a circlip.

I wonder if suzuki take this cover off to check when you pay them £350 for a service? I doubt it.
post #6 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 11:50 AM
Waiting to go for a boat ride

♂ United States
IOWA
WOW!

Suzuki quality at its finest...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
500 RWHP, seats 5, and runs low 11's in the 1320. Yep, that'll do!
post #7 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 01:20 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Holy crap Craig! Thanks for your investigative technical analysis and excellent documentation. Have you contacted Suzuki about all this yet? If it's happened to yours, it's very likely many other bikes are affected. I recommend you for an instructor award.
slatanik likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 01:27 PM
Mile eater

♂ United States
Charleston, TN
WOW!!

Mine has had that shudder for a few thousand miles and I just owed it to loosening up with age and miles. Kinda makes me wanna pull the cover off when I get home from work tonight. From the looks of things, I'm guessing I'll need a gasket. I'm due to change the oil and I guess I'll have to take a look see.

RIDE NAKED, Sit up and take it like a man!
post #9 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 03:16 PM
55,500 miles and counting

♂ United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
Good post..if a little worrying

Think I might have a look at mine although I have no noises coming from mine at 20,000 miles.

Can't understand how the marks on the gears don't line up, they must have been assembled that way as they can't have moved.

I'd send the photos to Suzuki and ask thier opinion.

Pete.

My new toy. A 2005 Yamaha MT-01 1700cc torque monster.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

post #10 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 03:17 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
I just saw the image of the primary dots not lining up. This is very serious. If the cam chain idler shaft does not match up correctly this mean that your cam timing could be way off. If the primary came off and one of the cams was at partial lift the idler shaft will rotate but the crank will not causing the cams to be out of phase. I would recommend pulling the valve covers, and checking everything. Make sure it is exactly as the service manual says. When the motor is completely torn down and going back together you have to match the primary dots first, then match the cam idler gear phase, and then set the cams. I hope you have time to check this

-MS

post #11 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 03:33 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Ah, just noticed that the scissors gear assembly has been put together incorrectly. The three alignment holes on both gears need to line up. So it looks like you need to split the gears and reassemble with the three holes lined up. This should make things line up a bit closer. Did you just set it together? Looks like there are a few other things missing.

-MS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2555.jpg (200.5 KB, 1153 views)

post #12 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 03:39 PM
Gone Surfing

♂ United States
Dillon Beach,CA
Damn !

Looks like you got to it just in time. I hope this is just a single case of a loose nut and not the norm !

Jeff......Gearhead, land & Sea.

With No Definite Future (And No Purpose Other Than To Prevail Somehow...)
post #13 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 04:00 PM
The CAMinator

♂ United States
Rincon, GA
I will be checking my '06 in the next day or so when I put the Gixxer shock on.

Thanks for the heads up. I have 6k miles on my SVS and haven't noticed any of the symptoms, but it will be good to check it none the less.

Jerry Holland
2006 SV1000ST "BlewByU"
Rincon, GA
post #14 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
What's this space for?

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Ah, just noticed that the scissors gear assembly has been put together incorrectly. The three alignment holes on both gears need to line up. So it looks like you need to split the gears and reassemble with the three holes lined up. This should make things line up a bit closer. Did you just set it together? Looks like there are a few other things missing.

-MS
That was how the scissors gear was for the most part. They are lined up in their correct positions, the outer gear is just about 1/2 tooth off cause it is not engaged on the clutch drive gear and the springs are trying to rotate the scissor gear. The primary drive gear is also held by the snap ring, which will keep it from moving out far enough to either un-mesh with clutch or cam gears. Primary and cam gears are also keyed, and they have not sheared so the gears could not have spun on the shafts. I tried to rotate the outer scissors gear to get them holes to line up another way and they will not. It just seems like if those marks were that far off it would not want to run, or would be beating the valvetrain to pieces. But the bike runs excellent.

post #15 of 239 (permalink) Old 4th December 2006, 04:11 PM
Gone, but not forgotten...

♂ United States
Mobile, Grand Bay, AL
I can't understand why if these are 2006 models,you would want to tear them down to inspect and do repair.Are they not under warranty?I would think Suzuki would at least give consideration,and most probably would at the very least bear some of the responsibility and cost of making the situation right.Now that you have torn it apart that might voit any remaining warranty.Ride safe.........Les

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in