Fuel Injector help - SV1000 Portal
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 19th December 2009, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Lufkin Texas
Fuel Injector help

So my rear cylinder stopped firing. Im fairly sure it has a bad or stopped up injector. Is there any way to clean it? I have gone the seafoam route and it does not help. If I am going to have to replace them any ideas on some cheap options? My baby does have over 50k miles on her now (2003).

"What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 19th December 2009, 06:52 AM
Forum whore

♂ Slovenia
Maribor, Slovenija
Quote:
Originally Posted by smstyling View Post
So my rear cylinder stopped firing. Im fairly sure it has a bad or stopped up injector.
How did you get to this conclusion?

Quote:
Is there any way to clean it? I have gone the seafoam route and it does not help.
Check this...

Quote:
If I am going to have to replace them any ideas on some cheap options? My baby does have over 50k miles on her now (2003).
Mine is still running strong at 50k+ miles...

D.

- Akrapovic bolt-ons
- Desnorkeled
- LSL footpegs for a bit more ground clearance
- home made switchable TRE - not sure if it works though
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- steel braided brake hoses
- EBC ProLite front rotors
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 19th December 2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Lufkin Texas
A well educated frind seems to think it could be a injector. With the info he gave me it seems like thats the mosy likley cause of my problems.

As for the google comment: thanks alot thats helps me NONE.

And other than this issue mine is running strong also. I was just hoping for a little help from somone who might have had the same issues.

"What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say." Ralph Waldo Emerson

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 19th December 2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Lufkin Texas
Here is what has been happening 3 months ago the rear cylinder stopped firing. I change both plugs and she seemed to run well... for about a week. pulled the plugs again and they appear fine. Put everything back and it ran fine... for about two weeks. same thing every time. now she is sputtering alot on cold mornings (never done this before), one day she started blowing white smoke only when I cranked her up and let her idle, once warm no smoke what so ever. My thought is a clogged injector, or a injector that is giving her too much fuel. Is it poss to pull the injector off and clean it myself? that was my real question. If I do end up having to replace it anyone know of a cheap place to get some?

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 19th December 2009, 09:57 PM
Just Magnificent.

♂ England
Forest of Dean
There are many shops which will clean and flow test your injectors. They are Denso 450ccs/min high impedance. You could run TL ones which are 440 I believe or even get a set of throttle bodies off Ebay for cheap and take what you need.
Also, if you remove the injectors for any period I have found that it takes a few miles for the ECU to "re-adjust". It runs like shit for a few miles and starts rubbish, but eventually gets a good setting.
I'm running 565cc/min Densos and I've had 'em in and out a few times and it always takes a bit of time to get used to it at first. You could get a set of 440 Densos from a Subaru Impreza, it's a pretty straight swap and maybe easier to find.

rvberbvbjb!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 19th December 2009, 10:33 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Young Harris, GA
make sure that the injector is getting a pulse command from the ecm. a led test light would be a good tool to check this. if it is getting a good pulse then check these guys out- http://proflowtech.com/ greg is a local racer and is very helpful.

88 mustang [email protected] my old friend
in the 60's, people took acid to make the world strange. now the world is strange and people take prozac to make it normal
Mods: yoshi 3/4 2-1 stainless, gbauto tre & undertail, pcIII(dadmun map-thanx), 17-42 sprockets, pair mod, woodcraft clipons, de-snorkel, motosliders, penske, K7 750 gsxr front clip, galfer brake lines/ebc gfa pads. gsxr radial m/c.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 20th December 2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Lufkin Texas
Thanks guys, that is exactly what i needed.

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 20th December 2009, 06:51 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Quote:
now she is sputtering alot on cold mornings (never done this before), one day she started blowing white smoke only when I cranked her up and let her idle, once warm no smoke what so ever.
White smoke is usually coolant in the combustion chamber. Probably due to a blown head gasket.

Blue smelly smoke is usually due to oil in the combustion chamber.

Black smoke is due to an overly rich mixture.

Any of these can lead to a fouled spark plug, and things will get better (temporarily) with new plugs. (As they have for you.)

Quote:
My thought is a clogged injector, or a injector that is giving her too much fuel.
A clogged injector wouldn't normally be intermittent. (It might get better for a time if you run some injector cleaner through the tank.)

It is very rare for an injector to run rich. Though the fuel may be poorly atomized. Is there a lot of carbon on used plugs?

I sincerely doubt that you have a fuel injector problem.

Quote:
Is it poss to pull the injector off and clean it myself? that was my real question.
No, it takes special expensive equipment to do the job correctly. However, it is an easy job for a shop with the equipment to do the job, so it shouldn't be too expensive to have a shop do it.

Quote:
If I do end up having to replace it anyone know of a cheap place to get some?
I'd do some other testing first. For instance, I'd try changing the plugs again. Does that help? If so, the problem probably isn't an injector.

put a screwdriver down the oil filler hole (with the bike OFF, of course), and then look at the oil, and even smell it. It is full of water? Does it smell like coolant?

Put a sheet of wood or something else in front of the exhaust when it is smoking. What is on the sheet? What does it smell like?

I suspect that you will end up having to replace the head gasket on the problematic cylinder.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 20th December 2009, 08:48 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
Oh, one other thing to check. Check the coolant level. You might find that you are running low.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 20th December 2009, 02:55 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
White smoke and dropping coolant levels is a sign of a blown head gasket.

I see some injectors have a screen at the inlet. You could check that. I haven't done it my self, so I don't even know if it's possible.

Ever thought about the rear coil? Could be anything related, spark plug cap, wire, connections, etc...
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 02:45 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Winfield, Kansas
Garage
I'm sure this is likely a dead thread, but I have a 2005 SV1000S that the valves gave out on last August. about 6 months later I got a 2003 motor for it and dropped it in, all is good except the rear cylinder only fires above 4,000 rpm. I've switched spark plugs and same thing so I thought injectors. I ran some sea foam through the gas tank, but when I try to take it for a spin and let it clean out the injectors after a few miles it flashes the FI light and turns off the rear cylinder indefinitely. From what I can gather I can reset the light by either disconnecting the battery or waiting a while. After which the rear cylinder works again, but only above 4,000 rpm. Any ideas on this? I've pulled the injectors but they look pretty clean on both ends, is it possible they're just gunked up on the inside? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, it's almost July and I have yet to ride my freedom machine.
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 04:12 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieNelson View Post
I'm sure this is likely a dead thread, but I have a 2005 SV1000S that the valves gave out on last August. about 6 months later I got a 2003 motor for it and dropped it in, all is good except the rear cylinder only fires above 4,000 rpm. I've switched spark plugs and same thing so I thought injectors. I ran some sea foam through the gas tank, but when I try to take it for a spin and let it clean out the injectors after a few miles it flashes the FI light and turns off the rear cylinder indefinitely. From what I can gather I can reset the light by either disconnecting the battery or waiting a while. After which the rear cylinder works again, but only above 4,000 rpm. Any ideas on this? I've pulled the injectors but they look pretty clean on both ends, is it possible they're just gunked up on the inside? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, it's almost July and I have yet to ride my freedom machine.

Resurrecting old threads is a great idea if your problem relates to the content in the thread.

I'm assuming you are using an '03 SV1000S ECU for your '03 motor? Actually, I'm not an expert on this so the '05 ECU might work. I'm sure someone with expert knowledge in this area will chime in eventually.

One thing you could try is to twist off the wire closest to the spark plug and snip off a few mm. My issue was misfiring at high rpm and that fixed it.

If that doesn't fix your running issues, you certainly could send in your fuel injectors to this place: Fuel Injector Cleaning and Flow Testing Service. Injector Repair LLC. They'll do before and after flow tests too.

Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 01:17 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Winfield, Kansas
Garage
I'm still running the ECU from the '05 motor, the only thing that is '03 on it at the moment is the motor/trans. I do still have the '05 motor in case I need some spare parts. Can you specify which wire? I don't recall there being any wires near the plugs, just the vacuum lines for the PAIR (haven't deleted that yet). Unless you're referring to the actual plug wires. Would it hurt anything if I tried switching the front and rear plug wires just to see if it fires the rear instead of the front cylinder? Also thank you for the injector cleaning link, I'll look into that since new injectors can be quite pricey.

Thanks!
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 02:02 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieNelson View Post
Can you specify which wire?....Unless you're referring to the actual plug wires. Would it hurt anything if I tried switching the front and rear plug wires just to see if it fires the rear instead of the front cylinder?....
Yeah, the actual spark plug wires. I've included a pic below with the part you can remove circled in yellow. You can just slowly twist them out of the plug end then snip off a few mm to expose a fresh copper wire bundle. Over time, it seems the wire sheath can migrate away from the copper wires causing loss of wire surface area to conduct spark. Lots of us have done this with good results. This would be quicker to do than switching plug wires.

sv1000plugwires.jpg

post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 25th June 2019, 09:30 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Winfield, Kansas
Garage
Yeah that makes sense, I'll try the wire fix tonight after I get off work. I'll make a post later this evening with the results. How hard is it to twist that end out and twist it back in?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in