Infra red spectrum LED - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2010, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Grumpy old sod.

♂ England
Northamptonshire
Question Infra red spectrum LED

Most if not all ANPR systems and average speed camera traps work I believe using a particular frequency in the IR spectrum rather than visible light, this allows the cameras to read the plate even when it is very dirty. I have read that it is possible to fix a small but powerful LED so that it shines on to the plate and effectively dazzles the camera and stopping it from reading your plate. I am no physicist but it does seem to make sense.

There are times when only a really big beer will do.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2010, 02:47 PM
Forum whore

♂ United Kingdom
bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.w View Post
Most if not all ANPR systems and average speed camera traps work I believe using a particular frequency in the IR spectrum rather than visible light, this allows the cameras to read the plate even when it is very dirty. I have read that it is possible to fix a small but powerful LED so that it shines on to the plate and effectively dazzles the camera and stopping it from reading your plate. I am no physicist but it does seem to make sense.
so whos gonna be the guinea pig n try it out for us all then..........
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2010, 09:06 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Does not make too much sense to me. If the camera in an IR wavelength unit then why would a visible spectrum LED blind the camera. IR spectrum is typically around 700nanomters to about 2500 or so nanometers in wavelength. Visible light is about 400nm to 650/700nanometers. Common Bright LEDs are often kind of blue in tint which means that they are much closer to the 400nm wave length. One really good reason to use LEDs is because they give off a very low amount of heat which means they are a long ways from emitting a significant amount of IR.

-MS

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2010, 09:17 PM
Just Magnificent.

♂ England
Forest of Dean
Simple solution for those with 9 points or so.
Check out local cop cars and clone their number plates.
I'm sure it pisses them right off.
Not that I condone that sort of thing.

rvberbvbjb!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Grumpy old sod.

♂ England
Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Does not make too much sense to me. If the camera in an IR wavelength unit then why would a visible spectrum LED blind the camera. IR spectrum is typically around 700nanomters to about 2500 or so nanometers in wavelength. Visible light is about 400nm to 650/700nanometers. Common Bright LEDs are often kind of blue in tint which means that they are much closer to the 400nm wave length. One really good reason to use LEDs is because they give off a very low amount of heat which means they are a long ways from emitting a significant amount of IR.

-MS
Sorry I should have been a bit more specific, the LED's I was thinking of transmit in the same part of the IR spectrum as the cameras operate in.

There are times when only a really big beer will do.

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no such thing as "American English". There is the English language and there are mistakes.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 12:38 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Sacramento, California
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 12:54 AM
Fat & Slow the way to go!

♂ England
Reading, England
We'll I'm not gonna give it a try.........I'll let someone else have the honor.

ZX10R - In Orange - MIVV GP race pipe, Pazzo Levers, DB screen and HIDs!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 09:10 AM
"Kiss my Ass"

♂ England
Hunmanby, North East.
The best thing to do is stay within the speed limit, you won't get caught then. You won't need any fancy gismo's or anything.

[
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 10:04 AM

♂ Denmark
Hobro / Aalborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbarcon View Post
The best thing to do is stay within the speed limit, you won't get caught then. You won't need any fancy gismo's or anything.
You are right, in theory - but it can be dificult IRL

[email protected]

It's alright to be in control -
no problem -
but then you are just not fast enough.

White Gold KiloSFau"R"

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 10:06 AM
"Kiss my Ass"

♂ England
Hunmanby, North East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapital D View Post
You are right, in theory - but it can be dificult IRL
Why? i have never had a ticket in 20 years.

[
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 12:09 PM
Fat & Slow the way to go!

♂ England
Reading, England
fair comment on the sticking to the limit, lol. it'll never happen for most o us though..................

ZX10R - In Orange - MIVV GP race pipe, Pazzo Levers, DB screen and HIDs!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 12:16 PM
"Kiss my Ass"

♂ England
Hunmanby, North East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVESLOB View Post
fair comment on the sticking to the limit, lol. it'll never happen for most o us though..................
I don't stick to them, well only when going past one.

[
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 04:09 PM
Pete's bike hauler

♂ France
Surrounded by the best biking roads in the world
Quote:
Nor have I ! but that is because I stopped pulling over when chased by the Fuzz.
As for cameras if you go past them flat out, you wont get done as they can only calibrate speed accurately to 130mph. this was told to me by someone at the flying club at popham who works at the speed camera factory in Kings Worthy.
However I still think the best alternative is to send funds to the hampshire bomber so that he can keep up his solo campaign

If you are looking for a free holiday in the sun, don't bother me, However if you are a genuine biker and want to ride the best roads in the world there is no better place than
check out the pics on the site and the vids on youtube search for britfrog
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 04:12 PM

♂ Denmark
Hobro / Aalborg
Quote:
I managed that for app. 20 years as well, then they started the "photo show", 4-5 years ago - and well, let’s say “my tax is raised a little”, not that I speed extensively, but 5-10 km/h is enough to get fined

Though I have to emphasize, that I have been stopped 24 times in the past 10 years, by the “long arm of the law” (yes - I keep score) on my motorcycles - newer once have I been fined as a motorcyclist!

[email protected]

It's alright to be in control -
no problem -
but then you are just not fast enough.

White Gold KiloSFau"R"

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 05:07 PM
"Kiss my Ass"

♂ England
Hunmanby, North East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post
Nor have I ! but that is because I stopped pulling over when chased by the Fuzz.
As for cameras if you go past them flat out, you wont get done as they can only calibrate speed accurately to 130mph. this was told to me by someone at the flying club at popham who works at the speed camera factory in Kings Worthy.
However I still think the best alternative is to send funds to the hampshire bomber so that he can keep up his solo campaign
Not so sure on the camera speed info Nigel, Top Gear programme tried to beat the gatso on their track and couldn't do it, would like to see some evidence of it being true.

[

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in