Changed fork oil and WOW the difference!!! - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 24th April 2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
northeast ohio
Changed fork oil and WOW the difference!!!

I had been having some front end and braking problems since i bought the bike. The front end never felt really planted, didnt hold a line well in corners, kind of vague wobbly when leaned over. The braked always felt soft. I try changing fluid and it helped a little but never lasted. I had owned a 03s and knew this isnt what an sv should feel like.
I tried stiffer springs as i am about 250lbs all geared up, didnt matter. Tried new brake pads. Didnt mattter.

I bought the bike used with only 3000 miles so i didnt figure much needed done. In the last 8000 miles or so he problems of course only got more pronouced.

So i figure almost 12k miles, time for some fork oil change. WOW was it bad. about 50ml low and ugly. I followed the details from this post, http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/show...light=fork+oil

I used maxima 10WT. I didnt fill to the recommended 162mm from top. i filled to 175 from top and figured i can add some if needed. let me say WOW!!!

I reset suspension settings to factory default and just at factory default there is a whole world difference. Front end is solid, holds a line in corners, turn in is 100% better, no more wobble or vagueness, brakes can pull the rear tire off ground. This is all without fine tuning the setup for my big ass.

So if anyone has any second thoughts about changing their fork oil, Dont wait. Do it now! It's really like a new bike, if i had test driven an sv without knowing what it should feel like i would've probably passed on it.

Thank you everyone from other posts with recommendations on fork oil changing process and al the info on oils(the wt., viscosity, brand differences)
You guys kick butt, keep at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 24th April 2011, 08:18 PM
55,500 miles and counting

♂ United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
Once your bike has done about 20-25,000 miles the rear shock will need replaceing too, it slowly looses it's performance, hard to notice till you change it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My new toy. A 2005 Yamaha MT-01 1700cc torque monster.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 25th April 2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
northeast ohio
I did the oh so common gsxr 1000 rear shock last year. Wanted something stiffer than the stock one. But it was a used one so I'm sure by 20k miles it'll need replaced/rebuilt. I was shocked the front end needed anything so soon but I have my suspicions that the previous owner had the front wheel off the ground a few times. I imagine that wouldn't help anything.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 25th April 2011, 06:42 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Sunny California
My bike had 25k miles on her when I bought the bike. The previous owner never mentioned that he changed the fork oil and he weighed around 190lbs. I weigh 145lbs with gear, and since I've bought the bike I've put 10k mi on her. Mostly commuting, but every weekend in the canyons. Is it worth to change fork oil now, or wait till I feel somethings off? About to go to track at the end of next month for the first time, so I'm kinda thinking of changing it anyways? Opinions appreciated! Thanks.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 25th April 2011, 08:50 AM
In memory of the Box

♂ Sweden
Southern Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigeiSV1KS View Post
My bike had 25k miles on her when I bought the bike. The previous owner never mentioned that he changed the fork oil and he weighed around 190lbs. I weigh 145lbs with gear, and since I've bought the bike I've put 10k mi on her. Mostly commuting, but every weekend in the canyons. Is it worth to change fork oil now, or wait till I feel somethings off? About to go to track at the end of next month for the first time, so I'm kinda thinking of changing it anyways? Opinions appreciated! Thanks.
I recon that it would be worth doing now, fork oil doesn't stay in tip-top condition for that long, it may not be in dire need, but you will feel the difference.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum. (Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Alarm, TPS Mod, Scott oiler, de-snorkled, tank raised, TRE fitted then removed, EBC HH pads, Wavy front discs, Tail tidy, hugger, undertray, Tsubaki Gold series chain, Renthal sprockets. HEL Braided brake hoses, K&N Air Filter, Akrapovic oval Titanium cans, Power Commander III. Complete Respray. Hagon rear shock (remote pre-load adjuster), Hagon progressive fork springs.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 25th April 2011, 10:01 AM
Moving at the speed of...

♂ Canada
Home now in Wicklewood, Norfolk, UK
A lot of experts reccomend changing the fork oil every year. When you imagine the pounding it gets I can see why.

Just a grumpy old man. All my opinions are my own and you are free to ignore them, or stick them where the sun doesn't shine!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 25th April 2011, 12:39 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Canada
Waterdown, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioboy View Post
A lot of experts reccomend changing the fork oil every year. When you imagine the pounding it gets I can see why.
That's the exact reasoning I used to get a new girlfriend every year!

Past bikes: 78 Desert Fox 80cc, 80 Kawi G5C, 82 GS400E, 86 VFR750, 92 GSXR1100, 92 FZR1000, 90 KX250, 90 KX125, 94 RF900R, 92 KX250, 97 TL1000S, 90 RM250, 93 RM 250, 97 YZF750R, 98 TL1000S, 04 VN2000, 06 V-Strom, 99 TL1000R, 2003 Volusia. Currently another fantastic 2004 Vulcan 2000, and this awesome 2003 SV1000S.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 25th April 2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
northeast ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigeiSV1KS View Post
I would agree and definitely say change it. If you do it yourself it'll cost all of 15 at nost for the oil and a few hours at most. Especially with a track day coming up. I'm in ohio I only ride about 4000 miles a year so changing yearly is extreme but since mine could've used it a few thousand miles( about 8000 miles on odo) ago i'd say now is a good time for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDog View Post
And this is the stuff I love and keep coming back to the site for.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 30th April 2011, 11:04 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Sunny California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDog View Post
VERY NICE
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 1st May 2011, 12:09 AM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by lusiphur134 View Post
I used maxima 10WT. I didnt fill to the recommended 162mm from top. i filled to 175 from top and figured i can add some if needed. let me say WOW!!!
Just imagine how good it would be with the correct amount of the correct oil.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 1st May 2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
northeast ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
Just imagine how good it would be with the correct amount of the correct oil.

I know. Imagine the possiblites
I figured since I'm using thicker oil and stiffer springs, I filled it lower anmd try to tune the suspension and add the rest if needed .
Some guys here seemed to have different preferences on combinations of fluid wt and spring rate and fluid amount.
Once I try set preload and r+c I figure i'd see how she feels.

I also usually read the directions, just don't follow them
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 1st May 2011, 02:29 AM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by lusiphur134 View Post
Some guys here seemed to have different preferences on combinations of fluid wt and spring rate and fluid amount.
Once I try set preload and r+c I figure i'd see how she feels.
Those guys are either still riding on damper rod forks, or assuming that the technology hasn't changed with those new fangled cartridge contraptions.

Your stock valving isn't designed to use oil that stiff. Odds are that your damping adjustments won't be worth much.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 1st May 2011, 03:47 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
Those guys are either still riding on damper rod forks, or assuming that the technology hasn't changed with those new fangled cartridge contraptions.

Your stock valving isn't designed to use oil that stiff. Odds are that your damping adjustments won't be worth much.
At 250lbs I think heavier oil is called for. 10 wt will work fine in any fork.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 1st May 2011, 04:07 PM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acat View Post
At 250lbs I think heavier oil is called for. 10 wt will work fine in any fork.
NOT!
The oil isn't the suspension. The springs and air space are. The oil is there to control damping, and his weight has nothing to do with it.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 1st May 2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
northeast ohio
I realize the oil is meant as a fluid that runs through the dampers and the dampers, in easy terms, just control the oscilattions of the spring movement.

Wouldn't thicker oil and stiffer springs go ok together?
I'm thinking the stiffer springs would 'override' the stock dampers and fluid so a little thicker oil would help with the damping?

Of course that's if the oil passages can facilitate the thicker oil and make better use out of it which appearently they won't.

Am I anywhere close to having a clue or am I way off base?
I'm not trying to argue just throwing ideas and maybe learning something

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in