SV1000S Winter Refurb - SV1000 Portal
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 18th January 2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
SV1000S Winter Refurb

Over the next week or two gonna give the SV a bit of a deep clean and fit a few new(ish) bits at the same time. Handy that the weather's pants at the same time! Did the same two years ago and want to have her as sorted and spic n span as she was then.

Thought I'd post up my progress as things get started and (eventually) done. And mainly to remind me what to do!

So here's the to-do list:

Engine:
Oil and filter change
Add new coolant
Check and clean K&N air filter
Check and replace plugs if needed

Suspension:
Swap out tired rear shock (57k kms) for new(ish) one
Clean and regrease all shock mounts
Change out front fork oil

Transmission:
Add new clutch fluid
Fit new rear and front sprocket

Brakes:
Swap out rattling front disc for new(ish) one
Add new brake fluid - front and rear
Clean brake calipers - front and rear
Spray front disc inners

AOB:
Remove complete exhaust system, clean, paint and refit with new gaskets
Deep clean of engine block to get rid of gunk and salty bits
replace green connector
Fit new smoked rear light assy
Tidy up indicator wiring at rear end
Fit new(ish) rear hugger

So far I've stripped down the rear end, propped her up on axle stands, removed the rear wheel, popped off the exhaust, cleaned and sandpapered the front downpipe (loadsa elbow grease!).

I'll get some pics up later this evening or tomorrow...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hatcho; 21st January 2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: To do list updated and tidied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 18th January 2013, 08:17 PM
55,500 miles and counting

♂ United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
I have a 19,000 mile rear shock on ebay right now, cheap ...ish

ALWAYS fit new chain and sprockets together, otherwise the they'll wear out much quicker. a front sprocket only costs £20 or less.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1907822581...84.m1555.l2649

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My new toy. A 2005 Yamaha MT-01 1700cc torque monster.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 18th January 2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Cheers for that Pete - I've already picked up a shock to fit. Its a stocker with about 9k miles on it so should be a lot fresher than the old one. Considered going down the aftermarket route but its serious money and I was always happy with the stock suspension.

Will deffo fit a new front sprocket as well as a rear. Chain is in good shape though so not gonna just throw it away. Its a decent gold xring DID chain that still has a good bit of life left in it. It'll be a Supersprox stealth for the rear - a great bit of kit.

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 19th January 2013, 08:38 AM

♂ United Kingdom
for about £100 you can get the shock re-gased and re-oiled, plus another £80 for a made to measure spring, see Maxton web site or call them, I'm seeing a huge difference in the handling with my new maxton shock.

also put fresh fork oil in while your doing all this, it only costs £10 and again will make a big difference, you don't need to remove the forks to do it, just undo/remove the adjuster screws at the bottom of the forks and undo the fork caps, the oil wil run out, pump the forks a few times, re-fit the bottom screws and fil with motul 5 wieght oil to recommended level. 30 mins tops.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 19th January 2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrose View Post
for about £100 you can get the shock re-gased and re-oiled, plus another £80 for a made to measure spring, see Maxton web site or call them, I'm seeing a huge difference in the handling with my new maxton shock.

also put fresh fork oil in while your doing all this, it only costs £10 and again will make a big difference, you don't need to remove the forks to do it, just undo/remove the adjuster screws at the bottom of the forks and undo the fork caps, the oil wil run out, pump the forks a few times, re-fit the bottom screws and fil with motul 5 wieght oil to recommended level. 30 mins tops.

Nice one - fork oil is one that I forgot to add to the list. Cheers Pete! What is the recommended level? Or can I just add the same amount of oil that I removed?

I thought about going down the refurb route for the shock but with postage from here to UK and back again it works out pricey. Will deffo consider it when the next refurb takes place. Might even go the full whack and fit a decent aftermarket shock. Cant beat bling that also really makes a big difference.

post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 19th January 2013, 01:14 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Canada
Uxbridge
While you're at it I would remove the swingarm and clean & regrease all the suspension bushings.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 19th January 2013, 04:23 PM

♂ United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
Nice one - fork oil is one that I forgot to add to the list. Cheers Pete! What is the recommended level? Or can I just add the same amount of oil that I removed?

I thought about going down the refurb route for the shock but with postage from here to UK and back again it works out pricey. Will deffo consider it when the next refurb takes place. Might even go the full whack and fit a decent aftermarket shock. Cant beat bling that also really makes a big difference.
496cc of 5 weight oil per leg so a litre container will do both.

post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 19th January 2013, 04:23 PM

♂ United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by shil View Post
While you're at it I would remove the swingarm and clean & regrease all the suspension bushings.
good point, mine have been done twice in 49,000 miles, no wear so far.,

post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 19th January 2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by shil View Post
Yeah - am gonna clean and regrease all the linkage bearings. Will prob leave the swingarm on though as the bike is propped up through the pivot. Apart from all the gunk on the underside of the bike the whole shock assy looks well - prob because I stripped it down and did all this in Jan 2011.

post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 19th January 2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Well here's a pic of the bike on 'stilts', and some of the grimy rear end. Having the bike propped up on a pallet means I can manoeuvre it about even with the wheels off. Handy for bringing it outside to get all the old grease and crap off the chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CameraZOOM-20130115174712703.jpg (396.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg CameraZOOM-20130118142505580.jpg (442.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg CameraZOOM-20130118142536223.jpg (380.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg CameraZOOM-20130119135645949.jpg (382.7 KB, 80 views)

post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 19th January 2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Back end looking a bit cleaner now....and the header pipe is gleaming!

Today was spent cleaning the exhaust pipework (large quantities of elbow grease required!), popping out the shock and all linkages. Cleaning around the front sprocket area - its always the grimest part of the bike! Degreasing and cleaning the inner swingarm and back end and underside of the block. Whole lot took ages but when I type it out looks like SFA!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CameraZOOM-20130119182554762.jpg (365.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg CameraZOOM-20130119182713210.jpg (222.9 KB, 64 views)

post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 19th January 2013, 06:31 PM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
Back end looking a bit cleaner now....and the header pipe is gleaming!

Today was spent cleaning the exhaust pipework (large quantities of elbow grease required!), popping out the shock and all linkages. Cleaning around the front sprocket area - its always the grimest part of the bike! Degreasing and cleaning the inner swingarm and back end and underside of the block. Whole lot took ages but when I type it out looks like SFA!
Looking good that man...
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 20th January 2013, 01:39 AM
PEZ
N of Atlanta

♂ United States
N Georgia
That's a newer engine, right?

, Smart TRE, Watsen Design front signals,
undertail, TL shift lever, Vesrah HH pads, suzuki hugger, seat cowl + Jesters
, Oberon bits, Chewy's PAIR removal kit, can anglers and mirror spacers,
, MRA Vario, PCIII, carbon stick-ons,
, bling bits...
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 20th January 2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEZ View Post
That's a newer engine, right?
Nope its the same one she came with.

post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 20th January 2013, 05:39 PM
PEZ
N of Atlanta

♂ United States
N Georgia
Then how did it get the darker colored engine? Were the euro-spec '03 models painted a different color? I've never noticed that before...

, Smart TRE, Watsen Design front signals,
undertail, TL shift lever, Vesrah HH pads, suzuki hugger, seat cowl + Jesters
, Oberon bits, Chewy's PAIR removal kit, can anglers and mirror spacers,
, MRA Vario, PCIII, carbon stick-ons,
, bling bits...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in