Your Power Commander Experience - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
North Carolina
Your Power Commander Experience

I'm about ready to throw in the towel and give up on the Power Commander. Before I do I also wanted to hear about others experience and if you are having any issues.

I purchased a new PCIII USB off the board here that had never been used. It was the previous model that required you to tap in to the wiring on the TPS. I sent it back to Dynojet Research and had it updated with new wiring harness (y connectors) and latest firmware.

Installed it and had it dyno tuned. Soon after found the TPS was bad and replaced it. This was causing the bike to run very rich which the tune took out. Now that it was fixed the tune I had was way too lean. So I took the bike back to the tuner. Now keep in mind the only thing we changed from the previous tune was a new TPS.

The tuner said he couldn't tune it due to the Power Commander jumping around from cell to cell on the software. I had noticed when riding the bike was surging and bogging more at highway speed with a safe map loaded. So I call Dynojet and they tell me I have to cut into the ground wire to the battery and run one of the wires to tap into the ground on the TPS. I mean this was one of the reasons I sent it back for the upgrade so it would be plug n play with no splicing.

I also found there are others out there with the same exact problem who were told by Dynojet to do the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq_E25KMnaI

Thomm, this guy says he finally just removed the PCIII altogether because he continued to have problems.

Before I go and start splicing, which may or may not solve the problem, I wanted to check and see if anyone else out there was having issues with their PCIII? I'm about ready to pull it out but I sure do like that extra 14 HP :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2013, 07:14 PM
She shoots, what a !!!!!

♂ United States
Everett, Washington
I have the old style with the tap. When I got it dyno tuned he said it was jumping all over because the tap was intermittent. He took the time out & soldered the connection, tuned it & it has been running great since.

"What we have in life that we can count our own is who we are & where we come from......" From A Knight of the Word by Terry Brooks

2003 Suzuki SV1KS
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2013 Victory Judge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 10:30 PM
Scooter boy

♂ Sweden
Thumbs up Jumpy TPS

I connected the digital ground on the power commander directly to the TPS ground wire instead of to the negative terminal on the battery!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 4th June 2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renga View Post
I connected the digital ground on the power commander directly to the TPS ground wire instead of to the negative terminal on the battery!
Did you do that because you were having an issue. Did it fix it?

Do you have to run the wire up to the TPS? Can you not just tap into the wire already running from the PC to the TPS?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th June 2013, 03:55 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Oceanside, California
I had a PC-III fitted to my new 2003 SV-1000N soon after I'd bought it in July, 2003 and fitted Yoshimura mufflers, a K&N air filter and Ivan's Smart TRE. The shop that fitted the PC left it as delivered and it ran much too rich. The PC (at least at that time) could be adjusted manually through a range of about 5 settings (from baseline) leaner or 5 settings richer for low, middle and high rpm. I finally set all three at the leanest of 5 settings, watching spark plug color, coolant temperature (188F) and mileage to give a seat of the pants idea how the engine was running.

After 10 years and 39K miles, I have left it alone, completely satisfied with how the SV runs. There are no flat spots in acceleration. The engine pulls cleanly from 2000 in lower gears in local traffic and never pops or spits on decel (I removed the PAIR valves and fitted a Chewy's conversion kit.)

Original spark plugs look fine at nearly 40K miles and mileage consistently is 45-47mpg, per checking at every fill-up. In deference to my advancing years, I ride rather sedately, but there are times when no one is around...

Ralph
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th June 2013, 09:35 AM
Scooter boy

♂ Sweden
Jumpy TPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbpo5l View Post
Yes a jumpy TPS, impossible to setup the PCIII on the Dyno!

Do you have to run the wire up to the TPS? YES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq_E25KMnaI

Can you not just tap into the wire already running from the PC to the TPS?Two diffrent cables
The message you hav.............
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th June 2013, 05:34 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
Mine has worked great! No issues with the crimp on TPS wire either.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 02:08 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Over the years I probably have installed 40 or 50 PCIIIs for all of our race bikes, F1 Sidescars and several of my street bikes.

Have I have problems? Yes, we actually had a year or two period where we had several boxes completely fail and it was a pain in the ass to say the least. Besides this they have been pretty much trouble free even the ones with the wire taps and not the full harness type connectors.

We did have a major issue with one bike, but we think it might been caused by RF interference from the spark plug high tension lead being so close to the PCIII harness. I was never quite sure, but reroute and unplug and replug everything seemed to fix it.

-MS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 6th June 2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
North Carolina
I was just seeing others with the same symptoms as me. The only change on the bike was the new TPS. Why some people have to run the digital ground to the TPS ground and some don't doesnt make sense.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th May 2014, 01:45 PM
Scooter boy

♂ Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbpo5l View Post

Do you have to run the wire up to the TPS? Can you not just tap into the wire already running from the PC to the TPS?
Yes no jumping and now tuned!

Yes, no taped in on the tps ground
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th May 2014, 02:47 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Poway, CA
Completely trouble-free experience with mine. Loaded a canned tune off their site, plugged it in, and forgot about it. It smoothed out the fueling nicely over the entire RPM range whereas before the bike was difficult to roll on throttle smoothly at low RPMs and was practically wheezing in the top end. Now it pulls hard to redline.

I don't remember a lot about the unit I bought other than it being the 'street' model that doesn't allow you to change settings below a certain RPM and throttle %. Bought the wrong one by accident but installed it anyway. Hasn't been an issue, really, since I don't play with it all that much.

Mike

PS - just realized this is a bit of a zombie thread. sorry.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 20th May 2014, 03:25 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Warroad, MN
Hi all. Having the an issue with the power commander. Initially it was a jumpy tps reading in the power commander software. I ran a tap from the TPS ground to the two ground wires from the PC harness that taps into the battery. Now the TPS is steady and very consistent at idle but now the rpm reading is jumpy and the bike runs very poorly, overly rich at idle, and stalls after idling up to operating temp (it does shoot a very nice blue flame out the back though!) From what I'm understanding from the board here, does the digital ground wire (black w/ white stripe on PC harness to battery, is that the correct wire?) need to be rerouted to the TPS ground instead of the battery?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 20th May 2014, 04:01 AM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Warroad, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattey View Post
Hi all. Having the an issue with the power commander. Initially it was a jumpy tps reading in the power commander software. I ran a tap from the TPS ground to the two ground wires from the PC harness that taps into the battery. Now the TPS is steady and very consistent at idle but now the rpm reading is jumpy and the bike runs very poorly, overly rich at idle, and stalls after idling up to operating temp (it does shoot a very nice blue flame out the back though!) From what I'm understanding from the board here, does the digital ground wire (black w/ white stripe on PC harness to battery, is that the correct wire?) need to be rerouted to the TPS ground instead of the battery?
Answered my own question. I disconnected the digital ground from the battery terminal and correctly (per this thread) spliced it to tps ground. Started the bike and lo and behold, steady tps and rpm readings. If only I would have followed directions correctly in the first place
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 21st May 2014, 02:21 PM
Scooter boy

♂ Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattey View Post
Answered my own question. I disconnected the digital ground from the battery terminal and correctly (per this thread) spliced it to tps ground. Started the bike and lo and behold, steady tps and rpm readings. If only I would have followed directions correctly in the first place

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in