Battery report. - SV1000 Portal
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 5th August 2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United Kingdom
Battery report.

Hi folks, I just thought I'd mention this, in case someone's battery is on its last legs. I'm now on my second replacement battery {not counting a duff one that expired after only seven months}. I got another Motobatt AGM, the previous one having lasted six full years. They're handy because of the extra pair of terminals for my velcro heated grips and CTEK maintenance charger. Incidentally, the seller told me not to leave it on charge all the time, as it might shorten the battery's life by causing the matting to shrink away from the plates. Weird ! I thought that post 10 day pulse charging was meant to prevent that happening ? Anyway, I also installed a new pair of NGK iridium plugs and find that the idling is much steadier as well as the bike firing up with gusto now. Could do with a few days of uninterrupted nice weather, it seems to have largely deserted us in South Wales already this summer.
I hope you're all in good health and spirits. I just turned 60 and my dear old ma's 95th birthday was yesterday.
slatanik, Mikecobley and shamless like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th August 2017, 03:50 PM
Moped rider

♂ England
Horley Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJS View Post
Hi folks, I just thought I'd mention this, in case someone's battery is on its last legs. I'm now on my second replacement battery {not counting a duff one that expired after only seven months}. I got another Motobatt AGM, the previous one having lasted six full years. They're handy because of the extra pair of terminals for my velcro heated grips and CTEK maintenance charger. Incidentally, the seller told me not to leave it on charge all the time, as it might shorten the battery's life by causing the matting to shrink away from the plates. Weird ! I thought that post 10 day pulse charging was meant to prevent that happening ? Anyway, I also installed a new pair of NGK iridium plugs and find that the idling is much steadier as well as the bike firing up with gusto now. Could do with a few days of uninterrupted nice weather, it seems to have largely deserted us in South Wales already this summer.
I hope you're all in good health and spirits. I just turned 60 and my dear old ma's 95th birthday was yesterday.
I bought a SVS k4 last October , very low mileage (1800) had all receipts etc couldn't find any for new battery , contacted previous owner , battery is the original ! Been hooked up to optimate when garaged , just waiting for it to expire .Ditto on the NGK plugs ,mine ran like a bag of shite on original Denso's didn't consider them to be the problem but changed them on the advice of recoilrob , total transformation .
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th August 2017, 03:34 AM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecobley View Post
I bought a SVS k4 last October , very low mileage (1800) had all receipts etc couldn't find any for new battery , contacted previous owner , battery is the original ! Been hooked up to optimate when garaged , just waiting for it to expire .Ditto on the NGK plugs ,mine ran like a bag of shite on original Denso's didn't consider them to be the problem but changed them on the advice of recoilrob , total transformation .
My original battery lasted 13 years.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th August 2017, 06:55 AM
Moped rider

♂ England
Horley Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Looks like it's numbers almost up then!
shamless likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 7th August 2017, 09:20 AM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
It did expire a few months back now have Motobatt taking care of battery duties... I've kept it for old times sake...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th August 2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United Kingdom
Quote:
That was a fabulous innings for any battery Tony. Were you riding the bike daily for it to last that long ? On recollection, the longest a battery has ever lasted for me, car or bike, was 8 years. Motobatts are meant to be ok for 5 years, anything longer is a bonus. Not bad though, no topping up to do, plus we have the additional terminals I mentioned. I emailed both CTEK and Motobatt for clarification re using maintenance chargers but neither have replied as yet. Maybe I shouldn't have signed off as Anal of Wales !
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th August 2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United Kingdom
Quote:
Yeah, it can be disconcerting to be riding a bike that's a little reluctant to start when it can't be bump started. I recall being in Tenby in the late 70's, a wire having come loose somewhere and shorting out on the frame of my Suzuki GT750. Pushed the starter button, no go but managed to bump it and ride home. So much for progress with fuel injection and ECU units now ! Have to make bloody sure my phone is charged before I venture further than half a mile nowadays, in case I need to call a man with a plan and a van. Not especially manly. Evel Knievel wouldn't have liked it.
Mikecobley likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th August 2017, 03:30 PM
Moped rider

♂ England
Horley Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, it can be disconcerting to be riding a bike that's a little reluctant to start when it can't be bump started. I recall being in Tenby in the late 70's, a wire having come loose somewhere and shorting out on the frame of my Suzuki GT750. Pushed the starter button, no go but managed to bump it and ride home. So much for progress with fuel injection and ECU units now ! Have to make bloody sure my phone is charged before I venture further than half a mile nowadays, in case I need to call a man with a plan and a van. Not especially manly. Evel Knievel wouldn't have liked it.
As a teenager I used to run and bump my bikes just for the hell of it ( thought it looked cool ) from my first bike 250 Enfield to 500 DBD 34 and 67 bonnie even bumped my GPZ 900 on occasions but at my age now would probably land in a heap if I tried it so may just get a new battery !
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th August 2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United Kingdom
Quote:
As a teenager I used to run and bump my bikes just for the hell of it ( thought it looked cool ) from my first bike 250 Enfield to 500 DBD 34 and 67 bonnie even bumped my GPZ 900 on occasions but at my age now would probably land in a heap if I tried it so may just get a new battery !
I bet you wish you'd kept the Gold Star Mike. Seen the price of them now ? Ditto myself with a Triumph Trident T150V and several two stroke Suzukis and Kawasakis, plus the Z900. Aye, it's best you keep a check on the battery condition, as to my knowledge, all modern stuff is unbumpable. Contrarily, I was increasing the main fuelling on my '97 Peugeot 306 turbo diesel and almost ran my pal over inadvertently as I rocked the car in order to bring the allen screw adjuster in line with the small access window on the fuel pump body. The engine all but fired up and I had to stamp on the brakes rapidly. Perhaps it's small wonder that many pre-ECU vehicles, both bikes and cars are fetching such large prices on eBay. Things are more efficient now but also a lot more bothersome at times.
Mikecobley likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th August 2017, 06:01 PM
Moped rider

♂ England
Horley Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Sorry Tony meant my battery not yours
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th August 2017, 02:18 PM
Moped rider

♂ England
Horley Surrey
Garage
Quote:
I bet you wish you'd kept the Gold Star Mike. Seen the price of them now ? Ditto myself with a Triumph Trident T150V and several two stroke Suzukis and Kawasakis, plus the Z900. Aye, it's best you keep a check on the battery condition, as to my knowledge, all modern stuff is unbumpable. Contrarily, I was increasing the main fuelling on my '97 Peugeot 306 turbo diesel and almost ran my pal over inadvertently as I rocked the car in order to bring the allen screw adjuster in line with the small access window on the fuel pump body. The engine all but fired up and I had to stamp on the brakes rapidly. Perhaps it's small wonder that many pre-ECU vehicles, both bikes and cars are fetching such large prices on eBay. Things are more efficient now but also a lot more bothersome at times.
Actually the Goldie was a pig of a bike ok when it was running but they need a lot of tlc .the only one I really miss is the GPZ ,only sold it after 17 years as I needed a new hip and it was getting a bit heavy ,plus after 17 years on it fancied a vee twin got a Sk3 swapped that for. TLS ( written off ) brief encounter with a v-strom now on my current svsk4 think at 70 that's it for time being ,
tonyt likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th August 2017, 03:39 PM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
That was a fabulous innings for any battery Tony. Were you riding the bike daily for it to last that long ? On recollection, the longest a battery has ever lasted for me, car or bike, was 8 years. Motobatts are meant to be ok for 5 years, anything longer is a bonus. Not bad though, no topping up to do, plus we have the additional terminals I mentioned. I emailed both CTEK and Motobatt for clarification re using maintenance chargers but neither have replied as yet. Maybe I shouldn't have signed off as Anal of Wales !
Lol... No not me daily transport fair weather rider me... But my last Mk1 Ford Focus had the same battery for about 12 years.. I'm just lucky when it comes to batteries I guess..
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 9th August 2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United Kingdom
Quote:
Lol... No not me daily transport fair weather rider me... But my last Mk1 Ford Focus had the same battery for about 12 years.. I'm just lucky when it comes to batteries I guess..
You're full of negative ions that keep batteries alive and attract women. Jammy ! I scare 'em away like a can of Vapona to a bluebottle.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th September 2017, 02:48 PM
Scooter boy

Battery

my battery is still the original that came with the bike in 2007!I always make sure that the terminals are clean and tight and occasionally put the Cytek charger on.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th December 2017, 01:57 PM
Scooter boy

My battery is 10 years old now still in excellent health!
i check the battery every 2 weeks or so with a voltmeter and occasionally put a trickle charger on for between two and three days.I always make sure that the terminals are tight and well greased!

regards
Shamless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in