Tl1000r pistons - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th July 2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ Afghanistan
Tl1000r pistons

Hello. I have a v strom 1000 2007 year with sv 1000 heads, sv 1000 ecu, sv 1000 throttle bodies and sv 1000 complete electric system flywheel stator etc ( from model 2004). can i put forced tl1000r piston on my bike? Like these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F161253992322

They are 2mm biggers. where can i found 2mm bigger gaskets to use? Will they work good with dl1000 rods and dl1000 cylinders??
I have also sv 1000 cylinders to use with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th July 2018, 03:11 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
TL pistons work fine in SV's, but those +2mm are going to be expensive to use due to the boring and plating needed for the cylinders. You could bolt in stock bore pistons and use the standard jugs from either DL or SV whichever is in better shape. I have Wiseco TLR pistons in mine at the moment and they work nicely.

Stock SV pistons are forged and might be an easy upgrade for you if you can find a set. The Wiseco TLR advertise 12:1 CR and have a slightly higher pin height (IIRC) than the stock piston so this reduced the amount of jug that needed to be milled off to get the squish clearance down to the desired 1mm. Would recommend you do this milling if changing pistons as the stock clearances are pretty generous which hurts the performance.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th July 2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ Afghanistan
I have a set of sv 1000 k4 cylinders and pistons in a very good condition but what is the difference between them and dl???

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th July 2018, 08:49 PM
Knowledge is Horsepower

♂ United States
Moneyapolis, MN
Garage
RR said already, you will need 2014 DL cylinders or get the 2004 SV cylinders bored and plated for around $260 each.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th July 2018, 08:51 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
They might be the same pistons...both forged and advertised at 11.3:1 CR. Not much in it to switch if the ones you have in there now are in good shape. For some reason I was thinking the DL had cast pistons but that was the TLS1000 while the TLR got forged ones. Even a +2mm piston gives you very little additional power for the money involved. What are you trying to accomplish?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th July 2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ Afghanistan
I only want a few more hp.... i have all the parts of sv 1000 k4 i told you on my v strom and also I have the newer lighter flywheel from k5 and 54mm throttle bodies.. i have yoshimura cans, airbox filter and power commander 5 with autotune... i will put and a tl1000r 2002 clutch basket which is a bit lighter... what else i can do??? What is your opinion???
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th July 2018, 05:20 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paekeajiab View Post
Hello. I have a v strom 1000 2007 year with sv 1000 heads, sv 1000 ecu, sv 1000 throttle bodies and sv 1000 complete electric system flywheel stator etc ( from model 2004). can i put forced tl1000r piston on my bike? Like these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F161253992322

They are 2mm biggers. where can i found 2mm bigger gaskets to use? Will they work good with dl1000 rods and dl1000 cylinders??
I have also sv 1000 cylinders to use with them.

Yes you can use these but need to bore and plate the cylinders or use a set of 2014 and up DL1000 100mm cylinders.

You can then use 2014 and up DL1000 head gaskets or use a drum sander on the SV head gasket and open them up just a. It because they are 99mm stock. I also in some cases use custom built single shim copper head gaskets.

You can use the the stock bore 98mm JE units or the Wiseco TLR pistons depending on what final compression you need or want.

DL rods are not as durable as the SV units so many times when I am building engines for DLs I use SV rods and the wider big end bearings.

That being said I have not seen a DL rod failure, but again do not typically use them if possible.

Do your compression measurements of squish, head volume and such while looking at the cam timing to assure you do not get too close to the detonation edge.

I assume you are using SV cams since you are using the ECU which requires the cam pin placement to be different from the DL.

Are you planning on having some ignition control?

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th July 2018, 05:24 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paekeajiab View Post
I only want a few more hp.... i have all the parts of sv 1000 k4 i told you on my v strom and also I have the newer lighter flywheel from k5 and 54mm throttle bodies.. i have yoshimura cans, airbox filter and power commander 5 with autotune... i will put and a tl1000r 2002 clutch basket which is a bit lighter... what else i can do??? What is your opinion???

Different cams, full exhaust, ported heads, bugger valves, big injectors, modified throttle bodies, balanced assemblies, light crank, Carrillo or Pauter rods.

-ms

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th July 2018, 01:59 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Have you set your cam timing? Mike came up with a Genius Method of tweaking them without needing to use adjustable gears...read about it here: http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-tw...gear-sets.html

For a few more HP's...this should do what you want. Before adding parts it's smart to tune what you already have to get the most from it...which might be all you end up needing. Parts and associated machining to use them can get expensive REAL fast!

The JE pistons work pretty well from all accounts...but the CR will be pretty high for pump gas so be positive that you'll be able to fuel it where you live before jumping into that pond. The SV combustion chamber is a good one and not prone to detonation....especially if you have the squish clearance down to 1mm or thereabouts. Stock ignition timing is VERY generous...IE very advanced and more than I feel is warranted from a performance standpoint.

They over-advance the timing to accomplish a couple goals. First is emissions compliance with the early timing lighting the fire before the full compression of the charge has taken place so the effective CR is very low. This slows the combustion and reduces NOx though it does hurt the HP production. As you add timing from 'not enough' to 'just right' the power climbs steeply, then it levels off with not much changing for several degrees more but then the power starts to fall....but not nearly as steeply as it climbed before so they suffer only a little power loss while meeting emissions targets. If you increase the CR...be ready to do something with timing because you'll be pushing it farther into the over-advanced area while you should be thinking about reducing it.

On mine....it likes the low speed timing advanced a little from stock...but at midrange where the engine starts to breathe it absolutely doesn't want the stock timing at all and runs better with (at the moment) 10 degrees of retard. (don't go full retard!)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th January 2021, 04:42 PM
Scooter boy

♂ Denmark
Denmark / Europe
Hi paekeajiab. Did you buy the JE 100mm pistons and fitted them on your bike?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in