• 2 Post By MvW
  • 1 Post By tzk321

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th March 2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Enterprise, Al, USA
Constant rate springs

I have my forks off and taken apart. Iím now thinking good time for a spring upgrade. Iím doing oil, seals, and bushings. Iím going to leave the forks otherwise stock. I have other bikes for my track and aggressive riding needs. I have upgraded all suspension on both my 1st and 2nd gen sv650sís, including constant rate springs. Their forks suck stock. The sv1000s forks arenít that bad to me though, itís a 2004. Can somebody with experience tell me of constant rate springs are a worthy upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th March 2019, 01:43 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
kentucky
i had progressive suspension brand for a while but they were too stiff for my body weight. i now have hyper-pro straight coils fitted for me. they work very well. the stock dampers still suck but im too cheap to stick $500 emulators in there for street riding...ps my progressive suspension set is for sale.(cheap sales plug)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th March 2019, 04:38 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbobb View Post
i had progressive suspension brand for a while but they were too stiff for my body weight. i now have hyper-pro straight coils fitted for me. they work very well. the stock dampers still suck but im too cheap to stick $500 emulators in there for street riding...ps my progressive suspension set is for sale.(cheap sales plug)

Emulators!?!?

The SV1000 has cartridge fork already so why would you attempt to fit a cartridge emulator in that is designed for a damping rod type fork?

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th March 2019, 10:11 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
kentucky
you are correct, i did this a while back and emulators was the only word that came to mind in the moment to describe the dampning alterations...bottom line, it was not worth the price to ME.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 24th March 2019, 08:04 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
SW Pennsylvania, USA
Yes....absolutely a set of straight-weight springs are worth their cost. Also note that the SV1K forks don't like real heavy oil....you might start around 2.5w at most and see how much authority the adjustment screws give you. I had 5w Maxima (of course...different brands will change how they work at the same rated weight...so experimentation is needed) and it was way too thick....have 2.5 Redline in there now which seems to work well. The later forks are a bit different and might have shim stacks that change the oil requirements...but the suggestion to start light and work your way up until you get enough damping I think is a good one.
07blacksv1ks likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th March 2019, 01:19 PM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
Race Tech springs and Red Line oil when properly selected and applied will work miracles with stock forks.
twag4 likes this.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 1st April 2019, 09:32 AM
MvW
L-Plate Rider

Yep race tech linear springs are good. I found .9 a bit soft for the track. .95 were good. I weigh 87kgs
twag4 and elemaire like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 1st April 2019, 11:21 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Here's an interesting article regarding straight and progressive springs and where one might be more suitable over the other.
https://motorbikewriter.com/progress...jl0A_dt87Nqpks
twag4 likes this.

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2019, 02:54 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzk321 View Post
Here's an interesting article regarding straight and progressive springs and where one might be more suitable over the other.

https://motorbikewriter.com/progress...jl0A_dt87Nqpks

Interesting write up. In many cases I can see a progressive rate spring being to your advantage, but often what is available is too progressive. Too soft at the initial part of the spring deflection causes user to crank up preload to get the right sag. As you add preload the spring starts to move into the stiffer rate section of the spring causing it to become over spring. A spring that is 70/100N/mm at the 20/80% gauge points will be far different than an 85/100N/mm at the 20/80% points.

What they also fail to mention is that the bike they mention is not a linkage type bike. Linkage often provides the progressiveness in the system, so adding in a progressive spring in the rear is not common on most bikes unless they are linkless.

Total rate progression of the fork is tunable by fork oil level also. As in the initial part of the the fork travel has much less dependence on oil level than mid stroke and on due to the higher air pressure in the fork for a given point in the travel.

Just my 2 pennies.

-ms

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2019, 03:05 PM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Total rate progression of the fork is tunable by fork oil level also. As in the initial part of the the fork travel has much less dependence on oil level than mid stroke and on due to the higher air pressure in the fork for a given point in the travel.
This! Exactly!!
You couldn't pay me enough to put progressive rate springs in my forks. In modern designed forks that are properly set up they are completely unnecessary.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th April 2019, 05:42 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I ran Race Tech springs and i went to 5w Motul Factory Line......
Race Tech stated that 130mm oil height was the recommendation....i ended up with 127mm after experimentation....

Worked a treat for a long time, but, eventually the legs were seriously worn out and i changed to GSXR front end....

I also tried, stupidly, 7.5w....with the stock springs......it was amazing on super smooth roads, but, if you ran over a beetle, it nearly broke your wrists.....LOL
Then, coming down a super steep hill, i blew a fork seal.....maybe it was the fluid, maybe it was the springs not being up to it....replaced the seal and went to 5w and never had an issue again.....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 285,000kms and counting...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th April 2019, 05:20 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
I ran Race Tech springs and i went to 5w Motul Factory Line......

Race Tech stated that 130mm oil height was the recommendation....i ended up with 127mm after experimentation....

Worked a treat for a long time, but, eventually the legs were seriously worn out and i changed to GSXR front end....

I also tried, stupidly, 7.5w....with the stock springs......it was amazing on super smooth roads, but, if you ran over a beetle, it nearly broke your wrists.....LOL

Then, coming down a super steep hill, i blew a fork seal.....maybe it was the fluid, maybe it was the springs not being up to it....replaced the seal and went to 5w and never had an issue again.....

Are you telling me you can feel a difference between 127mm and 130mm fork oil level!?!?

-ms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in