LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th March 2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
BRAKE DISC SWAP

Hey guys....

I have the gixxer usd front end in mine, but i am still running the SV discs at 320mm...

Pretty certain the same year Gixxer 600/750 discs will bolt to the wheel.....

Has anyone got any thoughts on how much of an improvement the 10mm larger discs are ?

Considering the mean radius of the braking area is increasing by 10mm it would seem that the power would increase
quite a bit...

The other thought is, that the gixxer calipers are a bit of a squeeze getting them off to remove the wheel, are R6/R1 calipers
going to provide more room ?

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 285,000kms and counting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th March 2019, 11:02 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Czech Republic
Garage
SV1000 discs are 310mm. According to link below the GSXR 600/750 K0-K3 are 320mm, while K4-5 300mm.
https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135430

I am using new brake discs bought as GSXR 1000 K1-K2 (so 320mm as well), which they also fit on SV wheel. I am running R6 monoblocks of the older design K5-L5. When I want to remove calipers, I have to push brake pads out of each other a tiny bit and than twist the caliper to get it out of the disc...it is tights, but still doable...even without scratching the rim.

When I did rough calculation, it should be like 3-4% increased braking effect with same force applied to lever. Center of the pad on 320 -> ~145mm, on 310 -> ~140mm => 145/140 = 3,6%.
Longhair likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th March 2019, 01:23 PM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasha View Post
SV1000 discs are 310mm. According to link below the GSXR 600/750 K0-K3 are 320mm, while K4-5 300mm.

I am using new brake discs bought as GSXR 1000 K1-K2 (so 320mm as well), which they also fit on SV wheel. I am running R6 monoblocks of the older design K5-L5. When I want to remove calipers, I have to push brake pads out of each other a tiny bit and than twist the caliper to get it out of the disc...it is tights, but still doable...even without scratching the rim.

When I did rough calculation, it should be like 3-4% increased braking effect with same force applied to lever. Center of the pad on 320 -> ~145mm, on 310 -> ~140mm => 145/140 = 3,6%.
Spot on.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th March 2019, 02:10 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
What year front end? 06-09 you can just keep your factory wheel and rotors.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th March 2019, 04:01 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasha View Post

I am not quite sure I under stand your calculations above. I get the lever/mechanical advantage part but what about the linear speed increase seen of the larger rotor as it travels through the caliper.

You might get more leverage, but now you are dealing with higher rotor speeds.

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th March 2019, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
I am not quite sure I under stand your calculations above. I get the lever/mechanical advantage part but what about the linear speed increase seen of the larger rotor as it travels through the caliper.

You might get more leverage, but now you are dealing with higher rotor speeds.

-ms
I can see what you mean.....

I suppose it goes to the fact that the superbike sector all use 320mm discs, so there has to be some benefit.

So 3.6% increase in mean braking diameter, but i would guess that the improved leverage applied to the disc would be proportionatly larger than that....but, the question is, as schmidt314 points out, how much faster is the disc speed at that point ?

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th March 2019, 01:47 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
do the superbikes all use 320s? I know they didn't used to - while 01/02 GSXR1000s were 320 03/04 were 300 and 05-09 were 310.

a larger rotor can absorb (and dissipate) more heat, but that comes at the expense of rotational inertia: a smaller rotor, even of the same mass, will let the bike turn quicker.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 29th March 2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
a larger rotor can absorb (and dissipate) more heat, but that comes at the expense of rotational inertia: a smaller rotor, even of the same mass, will let the bike turn quicker.
Good point.....

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in