Magneto nightmare - SV1000 Portal
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Magneto nightmare

Hi guys, I’ve pulled my magneto cover off and discovered what I was afraid for. Looks like all the magnets have moved, and a couple of magnets have got damaged edges as well.

Is there anyone with spare magnets around? Ive noticed that there are no drain holes in the magneto housing. It’s a late 2007 model. Not sure if that’s standard?

My plan is to remove the magnets and get the inside of the magneto housing sandblasted to create texture for the JB Weld to adhere to. What are your thoughts on that?

I need to find someone with spare magnets? I assume the magnets are the same for all SV1000 models?

Any help is welcome. Bit stressed out about it all.

Greetings from Melbourne,

Roeland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1558672547663.jpg (463.0 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 04:48 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
If the damage your are referring to is no worse than the slight chipping on the magnets in the upper
part of the picture, then you will probably be ok with them.... I reckon that unless the magnets are cracked through, then all should be well.... Other who have done this may have other ideas to me though.... Best to wait for consensus....

The blasting will certainly make a good bond for sure.....again, it may be more than is required, and again....others will have their opinions....

Whereabouts in Melb is ya ?

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
One owner..... 288,000kms and counting...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 04:53 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Those magnets should work just fine mate as long as they don't have big cracks like Missing Link said. And IMHO, there's no need to worry about getting the rotor sandblasted. I think the important thing is to get the JB Weld around all the sides of the magnets to prevent them from sliding. This approach is what a lot of people have done with long-term success on this forum and on the V-Strom forum. Just did this to my '06 SV1000S (the first year they quit putting holes in the rotor). Here's my post showing what I did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

I’ve been able to remove 4 magnets without tools, 2 are still stuck. I guess I’ll gently have to put some heat into the housing to delaminate the last two magnets. If you look closely in the photo: there’s one magnet with a massive chunk missing, that one will need to be replaced. The minor chipping on the edges are not much of a concern I guess.
I live in Panton Hill, just outside of Melbourne!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Thanks a lot Oldbaldsob for the link, I’ll have a read through it for sure. So you have filled in the gaps between the magnets with jb weld to create a full circle and eliminate the opportunity for the magnets to slide? The metal in the jb weld won’t get dislodged/pushed away by the magnetic field of the magnets?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 05:12 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
If there is too big a chunk missing, then it might cause a balance issue.... Oldbaldsob and some of the othr guys will have clues on that one...
It is possble that the JB will make up for that anyway when you fill here up....

And, oldbaldsob, does he need to worry about putting drain holes in, or is a moot point anyway considering the JB will fill it up ?

Panton Hill huh, nice area, still country-ish..... I am originally from the Springvale/Dandenong area....

I might no' be a smart man Jenny....but i can pain' ma copper colored bike a dif'ren color.....
2003 Copper SV1000S
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 05:28 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
The JB Weld does move quite a bit. The way I did it was to put massive amounts of it in there which ended up covering the magnets completely. Pretty large humps existed between the magnets too because of the magnetic field piling it up there. Here's a pic of what my '05's rotor looked like when I filled up the areas with JB Weld. It required quite a bit of sanding with a Dremel after it hardened. But I eventually got it down to to surface of the magnets and made nice little indented areas between the magnets. It worked a treat too. My '05 rotor had the holes in it but my '06's rotor doesn't. I guess Suzuki figured the holes were superfluous. And schmidt314 made a good point in the following posts about getting the rotor balanced afterwards but I didn't do that. The bike runs just as smooth as it did before I crashed it.

edit: Now I see your top magnet with the large chunk out of it. You know, that magnet should probably be replaced. I'd have to scour the threads to see where you could get a replacement magnet. I seem to remember someone finding a place that did custom magnets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

That looks like a solid outcome Oldbaldsob. Did you do all this work with the magneto housing still in place? Or did you remove the housing and completed the job on a workbench? I’m considering taking it off, to have better access. But I’m unsure of how to remove it. The 6 Allen key bolts and the main bolt have to come out? Does it have a normal thread(counter clockwise to undo the bolt?)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 05:49 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Just a thought process that may prove to be pointless....

Taking the rotor off and putting a fence of sorts on the outer edge, (after installing the magnets with the glue), then fill the gaps with JB while mounted in a lathe, and at a slow-ish speed say 350rpm, spin the thing up and that would centrifugally deposit the JB, adding more here and there until it is filled, this would eliminate the need to overfill and grind back ?
Possibly go to 500rpm....

Just a thought as i said, for those who have the access to a lathe....

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 05:51 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Just a thought process that may prove to be pointless....

Taking the rotor off and putting a fence of sorts on the outer edge, (after installing the magnets with the glue), then fill the gaps with JB while mounted in a lathe, and at a slow-ish speed say 350rpm, spin the thing up and that would centrifugally deposit the JB, adding more here and there until it is filled, this would eliminate the need to overfill and grind back ?
Possibly go to 500rpm....

Just a thought as i said, for those who have the access to a lathe....

Yup, I'd try that if I had one. Good tip.

And Roeland, thanks! But I was lazy and left the magneto on the bike. I did half of it at a time, let the JB Weld harden, then rotated the engine with a breaker bar to do the other half. I'm the type of guy who will lazy myself into a harder job.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

That’s actually a pretty good idea to spin it up in a lathe. I guess the first step is to JB weld the magnets in place, let them set, and after that fill in all the areas around them in the lathe with a temporary upstanding edge in place.

First things first: I need to find at least 1 magnet.

Just to confirm; I’ve marked the magnets so I’ve got all the same edges facing me to avoid turning them around by accident.
I didn’t mark their exact location; should I have done that? Hope it makes sense what I’m trying to ask here...🙄😀😀
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31069E78-DD37-4F99-9DA9-4E9CD72E2FCE_1558678173406.jpg (396.1 KB, 21 views)
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 06:19 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Roeland, I think you can get a pretty good idea of where the magnets go by looking at the pics of my rotors. It looks like the gaps between the magnets are kind of offset between each of the rotor bolts.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Anyone having 1 spare magnet lying around or has got a suggestion to fix this issue? Cheers
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 24th May 2019, 08:18 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United States
Enterprise, Al, USA
I had no problems with jb weld on mine. I used carburetor cleaner to keep the unset jb weld clean while it was still tacky. I used my finger to shape the trough in between the magnets. The magnets did not cause any heaping or mounding up for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20D16DCE-DCD8-4BD3-8B81-FC1CF9C25F50.jpg (564.2 KB, 34 views)
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 12:19 PM
Vendor

♂ United States
Houston, Texas
That is one of the nicest jobs of JB Weld I have seen!
07blacksv1ks likes this.

Fix Idle Hammer noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in