Removed rear cam with crank in wrong position (R|T). Help? - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 15th July 2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Removed rear cam with crank in wrong position (R|T). Help?

Doing a valve adjustment and missed the (not so obvious) part where you measure the rear valves at R|T but remove them at F|T. I removed the rear exhaust cam before discovering the cams were not in the correct position (based on markers on the cam gears). How do I fix this???

Should I just rotate the crank WITHOUT THE EXHAUST CAM INSTALLED?

OR

Was thinking of reinstalling the cam and eyeballing the cam lobe sangle BUT without the shims in place so I had a little safety net incase some clearances were close. Then position the crank to the correct place, Then remove the cam again, install shims and put it all back together.

OR SOMETHING ELSE???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 15th July 2019, 03:01 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Here's a quote from schmidt314 replying to my question about rear cam positioning (posts 65 and 66 from my '05 rebuild thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
Thanks Mike! I guess my question is when the engine is rotated 360 degrees from front TDC, will the rear cams line up as shown in the 2nd pic from the service manual above? (prior to their removal of course)

And the rear cams can be in any position when you remove them to swap shims (as long as they are reinstalled as specified in the service manual)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Yes, correct.

Only remove cams when when there is no valve lift on that cam. I prefer to only remove them when in the install position when removing to re shim. But I do pop them out on tear downs in all kinds of positions as long as the valves are not loaded.

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th July 2019, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Thank you for the info. Based on that I'm going to:

take a close look at the lobes and marked lines and reinstall the cam as close as possible to where it was when I removed it WITHOUT the bucket shim in place to buy me a little margin of error. Then rotate to F|T where I can remove them again, adjust and reinstall correctly.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th July 2019, 01:54 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Alameda, CA
Garage
why not just rotate the engine with the cams out? Unlike most bikes you don't need to worry about the cam chain dropping down.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th July 2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
Is it safe to rotate the crank with 3 out of 4 cams in the engine?

Should I remove the other cam in the rear cylinder before rotating?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th July 2019, 05:30 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Is it safe to rotate the crank with 3 out of 4 cams in the engine?

Should I remove the other cam in the rear cylinder before rotating?

You can spin the engine. It will be fine.
Just make sure you know the position/phase of the engine when you install.

-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 17th July 2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
I torqued down the cam journal on the still installed INTAKE cam, rotated the engine 90deg to F|T, adjusted the shims, reinstalled cams, torqued, rotated back to R|T and checked clearances again. Cam position markers are slightly off (maybe 1-2degrees) due to what has to be cam chain wear since adjusting them another tooth puts them way off (3-5degrees).

Cams are now in spec but...

I discovered at 945pm that 2 of the 4 (fucking) valve cover bolts have pulled the soft aluminum from the cam journals. I ordered a Heli-Coil kit to fix that issue. Pretty fun stuff obviously.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in