2003 SV-1000S power loss and sputtering - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th December 2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

2003 SV-1000S power loss and sputtering

I bought a 2003 Suzuki SV-1000 a few months ago and crashed her pretty hard a few weeks ago. Ever since I slid out she’s had this annoying power loss problem where the bike misfires and has no power at 6K RPM’s in any gear. I need help on what to look at first I’m wondering if the wreck freed debris in the fuel filter or broke something more substantial... I don’t have very much money to work with for repairs so if you guys can help me with cost effective tips to try to restore my poor baby I’d appreciate it! -Skully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12th December 2019, 03:56 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
IF it is still revving past 6, but not doing it easy, i would say that it is fuel supply related.....or, vacuum...

Vacuum is gonna be the quickest thing to look for.... So, have a look at the vaccuum hoses connected to the lower part of the throttle bodies..... make sure they are connected at that point, and, where they go to.

Test it out if you have found an issue there, but to be honest, it would have to be a pretty big leak...which now, makes me suggest that your throttle body (s) may have come partially come adrift from their rubber manifolds to the cylinder head.....loosen them off and push it back in if so, and away you go....

Next, the tank has to be removed, drian the fuel first, unless it is mostly empty, turn it upside down a nd removed the fuel pump and disassemble and inspect the pickup screen.....

One owner..... 295,000kms and counting... 5k to go....

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

She won’t rev past 6K she just backfires and flames spit from my pipes.. do you have a video detailing how to remove the fuel filter?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2019, 06:53 PM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullySM View Post
She won’t rev past 6K she just backfires and flames spit from my pipes.. do you have a video detailing how to remove the fuel filter?

Check out this post: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/17-...post1852324501

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 16th December 2019, 02:06 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Almost sounds like a timing issue...

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 20th December 2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

Okay so update I found out I had a intake Manifold leak I fixed it but the bike still won’t get over 5-6K rpms. She’s running lean so there’s air coming in from somewhere.. I checked all the hoses under my tank and they are good I’m going to take my throttle body apart today and see if air is entering the system there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st December 2019, 12:34 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullySM View Post
Okay so update I found out I had a intake Manifold leak I fixed it but the bike still won’t get over 5-6K rpms. She’s running lean so there’s air coming in from somewhere.. I checked all the hoses under my tank and they are good I’m going to take my throttle body apart today and see if air is entering the system there.

Lean can also be a fuel delivery issue. It sounds a fair bit like a fuel flow/pressure issue.
-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2019, 02:37 PM
Moped rider

♂ United States
https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...v-past-6k.html

https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=184180

Seems to be common with an electrical issue (plugs/plug wires/ignition coils/kickstand switch/modified wiring/regulator/undercharged battery).

Also found a few posts where the same issue was TPS related. In some cases, there was no error for the TPS, but it was performing out-of-spec.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 29th December 2019, 11:40 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I am pegging TPS or the pump is upset somehow...

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in