Service Intervals, are the manuals accurate? - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 29th December 2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Service Intervals, are the manuals accurate?

Not SV1000 specific, but the more I look at the service manuals the less I trust the service intervals. I can't help but think they are just copying and pasting information from older manuals and carrying it over.

Case in point, GSX-S 750. This bike's engine has been around for a while, based on the engine used on the 04-05 GSX-R 750, which was a revision of a prior engine; but no need to look past the 04 GSXR 750. The service manuals for both bikes call for:

- GSXR 750 - CR9E, 7500 miles.
- GSXS 750 - CR9EIA-9, 7500 miles.

7,500 miles for the conventional CR9E I can understand; but it's still pretty conservative. Fr example, the Daytona 675R that was made from '13 to '17 still used conventional plugs, CR9EK and it called for replacement every 12,500 miles; 5,000 miles more than the same plug would do on the GSXR.

Why on earth would an iridium plug need replacement every 7,500 miles!? I understand the Triumph and Suzuki engines are quite different; but the two Suzuki engines are based on the same design; given the lower redline and gearing the S750 will be easier on the plugs.

Another example, oil change intervals. Suzuki calls for oil changes every 3,750 miles whether it be a SV650, S750, GSXR 750 or GSXR 1000; everything has the same OCI. Lets take the latest GSXR 750, 2.5 liters of oil every 3,750 miles... And then the GSX S750, 3.6 liters every 3,750 miles... Does not make sense, it's a lazier engine that holds quite a bit more oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 29th December 2019, 02:52 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
kentucky
my 05 sv1000s says 7500 mile oil change , filter every 15,000.
i use amsoil synthetic 10-40 with amsoils oil filter and change everything once a year.( which is about 5- 8000 miles /yr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 29th December 2019, 08:29 PM
Moped rider

♂ United States
Unless you're running track or WOT all the time, just change the oil at 7500 miles and check the plugs at that time. If everything looks good and the gap is within range (adjust if needed, though not always possible on newer multi-prong plugs), do the same again at the next oil change.

Most modern sport bikes, including the SV, should easily get somwhere between 15K and 30K out of a set of quality plugs. Even a dedicated track bike doesn't usually see any degradation in performance from spark plug wear for several thousand miles.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 29th December 2019, 11:47 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
I have run my Iridium plugs to 50K (km's) without issue.....no noticeable difference in the bike when changing them either.....

Cars go to 100k (km's), but considering the lower revs and obvious less stress that is to be expected

One owner..... 295,000kms and counting... 5k to go....

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in